Engine oil recommendations for Skyline GTR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day guys...

New member from Australia here... I've got a freshly built Nissan Skyline GTR, pushing about 600hp, plus upto 75-100hp Nitrous shot.

It is 90% road driven car, with visits to the racetrack as often as I can get there (perhaps once every 2 months).

The engine is being shoehorned back into the car tomorrow, and will be run in using Valvoline Mineral Oil on the dyno for 5 hours, and then 1000 road kms with continuously varying loads and speeds, then back onto the dyno for final power runs and tuning.

I'll be running Redline Lightweight Shockproof in the gearbox, and Heavyweight in the front and rear diffs.

I'm currently tossing up between Motul 300V and Redline engine oils after the run-in period and wanted to ask your opinions on what I should be using.

I was concerned by reading a few threads claiming that Motul 300V wasn't suitable for road cars?
dunno.gif
I'll be changing engine oil at 5000km (3100mi) intervals or less.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Thanks for the replies so far!

I've heard that NISMO oils are just Motul oils repackaged and priced up to NISMO-spec
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif

So I shouldn't be worried about the lack of detergents in the Motul 300V then? Do the Redline Engine oils contain detergents in their mixed-in additives?

Firstly
welcome.gif

Strange however that your second post says 2 posts, when the first in ths thread said the same?

Anyway. Motul would be fine. Exceeds all current car specs Eg SL 15-50 is available fairly readily or if don't want to go that heavy mix in some 10w-40. Although the 15w-50 is the one I think you should use since it is fairly modded.
Check out Motul site Motul Oz

There is also a 20w-60 in the 300v Motul.

Redline is also a good choice but dearer.

Either way don't expect long oil changes. Even on mainly road use 5,000km would be max.

Merli, I see you've migrated from the SAU forums
wink.gif

I'd go the 300V since you can get it over the counter almost anywhere (Autobarn, Repco etc).

Haha finally some guys from the SAU forums. (Im Busky2k). Gettin lonely here!

Anyways I suggest Motul 300V, their 10W40. Or Redline's 5W40, as they're both up to the task.

300V is suitable for road cars, just not extended drain. hgood to go upto 10,000ks without a hitch!

Leo,

I suggested the heavier grade due to the use of Nitrous, otherwise would have gone with the 10w-40 300v.

quote:

Originally posted by Merli:
G'day guys...

New member from Australia here... I've got a freshly built Nissan Skyline GTR, pushing about 600hp, plus upto 75-100hp Nitrous shot.

......DROOL......600......hp.....slobber....

Oh I hope toyota does wonders with the 2006 Supra...or nissan gives us skylines...

quote:

Do the Redline Engine oils contain detergents in their mixed-in additives?

Their STREET oils DO contain detergents. Their race oils on the other hand do not. Here's a quote from the Redline site; "To reduce the chance of detonation, our race oils contain very few detergents and are not recommended for street use". In case you haven't checked out their site, there's some good information (with a little hype mixed in) IMO. Here's a link: Redline oil

quote:

So I shouldn't be worried about the lack of detergents in the Motul 300V then?

I didn't know 300V was non-detergent; their site does say "Racing lubricant for race cars" though, so I wouldn't doubt it. I personally would NOT run a non-detergent oil on the street, EVER!

quote:

I'm currently tossing up between Motul 300V and Redline engine oils after the run-in period and wanted to ask your opinions on what I should be using.

I haven't used any Motul products, but I have used Redline and think it's an excellent product.

Good Luck,
Steve

quote:

Originally posted by 69 Riv GS:

quote:

So I shouldn't be worried about the lack of detergents in the Motul 300V then?

I didn't know 300V was non-detergent; their site does say "Racing lubricant for race cars" though, so I wouldn't doubt it. I personally would NOT run a non-detergent oil on the street, EVER!

If you look at Motul website and check out the details of the new 300v they have a feature of the engine cleanliness aspect.

No where does it say racing only. Or not suitable for street cars.

The more I look at these links the more I'm convinced it IS for racing ONLY!
smile.gif

quote:

Check out Motul site Motul Oz

At this site under "product line-up" click 4-stroke, then it shows a list of oils. Every 300V weight has the same first line; New 300V Series is racing lubricant for racing cars".

quote:

If you look at Motul website and check out the details of the new 300v they have a feature of the engine cleanliness aspect.

No where does it say racing only. Or not suitable for street cars.

Then, at this site for 300V it looks like this:

• Range
  • = chart: oil weight / Race type

• Tech Specs
  • = Exceptional Engine Cleanliness w/ engine picture - caption under pic says "State of the engine after 24 hour Le Mans simulation"

• Victories & Testimonial
  • = 3 excerpts - 1 team manager, 1 chief engineer, 1 engine-chief engineer.

I don't see street use, street car or street anything listed for 300V!
smile.gif

Steve

Hmmm... compelling evidence from both sides of the argument!

I think it could all be solved by finding concrete evidence of the presence, or lack thereof detergents in 300V
smile.gif

I think I'm leaning more towards Redline now...

I don't know that because 300v say race it is compelling evidence not to use it. They did say it was suitable for cars before. Maybe just marketing. The Motul forums (when Motul answered questions) did included many examples of Motul recommending 300v for street cars.

There are other Aus street car people using 300v on this forum. I use it in 4 cars personally, only one has a turbo even.

Ester oils have natural cleaning effect. Well documented.

Some Autobarn stores sell the 300v. Strange if it race only as it would be the only race oil they sell. I wouldn't have thought their clientele are racing car owners. Street racers - yes.

Apart from all that. Your car isn't exactly standard street!

And yes I would run the Redline, but it is simply too dear for short chnages. I have spoken to the guys at N-1 racing here in Melbourne and they preferred the Motul over the redline and they run both.

Anyway, I'm waiting for an email back from the Aus importer/ distributor and I'll post it.

OK, I stand corrected!
worshippy.gif

I spoke to Mike at Motul USA. He stated 300V DOES contain detergents! He also said "300V contains a full additive package and is fine for everyday street use".
smile.gif

Steve

Whilst it doesn't add to what has already be stated, I include it anyway.

This is the email I sent to Link International the Aust distributor of Motul:

Hello,

I have been using the 300v oils however it has been suggested to me that
these oils are only for racing cars and not street cars. Also they do not
have the detergents in them for street engines.

Can you clarify these 2 points.
Michael

And the Answer:

Hello Michael,

I can assure you that Motul 300V oils are designed for use in street cars as
well as racing cars.
Some people may be misled because 300V is most often mentioned in
association with racing cars which require oils able to withstand the most
extreme conditions.
Any oil that can stand up to the conditions encountered in racing will then
exceed the requirements of street cars.
As for the question of detergency, yes, it is correct that ester oils do not
have detergent additives. This is because ester based oils have the natural
ability to keep an engine clean without the need for additives.
In this regard it makes them superior because there are no additives to
break down.
When 300V is drained from an engine, it is often noted how black it is,
particularly if it is the first time it is used in an engine that has
previously been using a low detergent oil, which illustrates its cleaning
ability.
I hope this will answer your questions.

Regards
Richard Lambart
Link International

quote:

Originally posted by theguru:
[QB
Strange however that your second post says 2 posts, when the first in ths thread said the same?
[/QB]

The area that shows your username is not part of the post itself. It is dynamic and is reloaded each time your view a post.

In reply to FL400-S about the skyline:
The infiniti g35 coupe IS the new skyline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back