Engine oil flush treatments.

An interesting comment regarding the LM Proline engine flush vs. stronger flushes that often are viewed as potentially damaging. I'm going to reach out to LM and verify. Stay tuned.

Just changed my oil yesterday and used this product again, runs like a top today so clearly not f'ing anything up! I take that this probably does so little in a newer/clean engine that has had good quality oil/frequent changes b/c there simply isn't much to remove. Also interesting is this video:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CBykd_pnMeD/?igshid=1sx9rsh3q5rwc

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Follow up - I emailed their product guy stateside about it:

"Leichtlauf as well as almost all oils contain detergents at a certain level and that is what is the main ingredient in our Pro-Line Engine Flush."

So nothing harsh, doesn't sound like it's just a strong solvent like Kerosene etc.

I've been told by old mechanics to add a quart of ATF 10-15 miles before an oil change. I've done it to flush engines before with relatively new oil still light brown and after 10 miles with ATF it is black.
No no no.....wasting good ATF.

Kreen is probably the strongest internal cleaner, and like $16/quart, which is enough for two treatments. Search for a thread on it by Trav, lots of great info there. But, unless you can look through the fill hole or remove the valve cover and see there are issues, it's probably not necessary. Another, more costly option would be to run the Valvoline Premium Restore (search for a thread by JAG on it), which is specially formulated to clean and free up ring lands and other areas. But it's $74/gallon.
++Kreen have used it with great results on my previous OM648 engine with almost 300k. I used it 1/2 qrt in fuel and it took out the morning injector knock.

Hi
A lot of good reading in this thread and i am still as confused as ever :) .

I have not used any flushing products as yet. I can see into the engine through the oil filler and everything is shiny clean. The oil is changed every 5000 miles though with MB229.51 so that will help.

I did pick up on some comments relating to possible seal problems with a flush treatment. This troubles me as my OM642 oil cooler seals are the originals and are known to be delicate.

As for Kano Kreen i have never seen it in UK. I use Kroil with my Rifles but never seen Kreen.

According to LM - they flush wont' hurt a thing including seals.

Good chat about it:

The MSDS for Liqui-Moly Proline Engine Flush shows that it has petroleum products, calcium salts, a dispersant, and ZDDP. Sounds like it just adds a bunch of detergent to your engine oil.

Back