Engine Noise Level after oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
OP while it may sound different to you just wait, as it really takes 1,000 - 1,500 miles with a new oil in your engine to really get an accurate feel for it IMO.

No, this is just the time it takes to forget what you thought it sounded like on that other brand of oil.

Maxlife was so noisy in my Jeep I drained it at about 2k I couldnt take it any more. It is one of my favorites in our other vehicles though.

Some of the "me based" thinking here is hilarious.

"I can't hear it so you can't either."

If I drive through Colorado and see elk but others don't, it means there are no elk in Colorado?

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
true story

A fellow member at m3post.com measured a 2dB (74 vs. 76) difference between running 10W60 and M1 0W40 at idle. Given that his SPL meter most likely has an accuracy of plus/minus 2dB, I told him he probably didn't hear the increased noise from running a lighter M1.

So for those of you that claim to be able to hear a difference between brands/weight, I call hogwash until you show us clear evidence.

*Most human ears cannot detect a 2dB difference anyways between 70dB~80dB range.

The OP is hearing a louder engine noise.

Psychophysics experiments show that subjects report a doubling of loudness for each increase in sound level of approximately 10 dB, all else equal. So, roughly speaking, 50 dB is twice as loud as 40 dB, 60 dB is twice as loud as 50 dB, etc.

So on this basis a 2 decibel increase may upto 40% louder and statement regarding the OPs observation may be based on Hogwash may be actual fact.

Every time I change oil using the same oil the engines sound smoother and quieter. So something is good. By the time they go 5k I feel they are noisier and I change the oil, and filter, at that mileage. I don't really care what someone else says about this being too soon. I use name brand synthetic and higher end filters. What oil is FF in this car? If you think it is noisier I would find out and use the FF. You paid the dough for the car do how you like.

I put some PP 5w-20 in my Hemi truck and switched it out after about 1500 miles...just didn't like the noise. Put some 10w-30 PYB in and it was noticeably quieter. I don't do long OCI's anyways, so the PP was a bit much anyways. I'll just stick to the best dino oil and do 4k OCI's.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Move up to 5W-30. Engine noise = poor lubrication = shorter engine life.

^ What he said.

Move up to 5W-30. Engine noise = poor lubrication = shorter engine life.

^ What he said.

Nonsense.

More noise doesn't equal more wear or poor lubrication. It means the oil has less insulative ability than the previous fill.

And that's it. Looking for a problem where none exists.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Nonsense.

More noise doesn't equal more wear or poor lubrication. It means the oil has less insulative ability than the previous fill.

And that's it. Looking for a problem where none exists.

Insulative ability? You mean like one of those soundproof rooms we go into to get our hearing tested?
grin2.gif

Friction causes vibration and vibration causes noise. That's why when you put some oil on your little red wagon's wheel axle, it quits squeaking.

81r6chh7BWL._SL1500_.jpg

81-SprQBJ7L._SL1500_.jpg

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

"I can't hear it so you can't either."

If I drive through Colorado and see elk but others don't, it means there are no elk in Colorado?

Best comment in this thread!

Let's not forget that "hearing" in this case includes more than just the ears.

Too many ignorant arrogant trolls on the internet.

If you think an engine sounds different with an oil, then you are probably right. Ignore the deaf mechanically clueless trolls.

I just changed Mobil 1 out of my 07 Fusion & put Pennzoil Platinum in. I heard my Fusion idling today & thought it sounded awfully loud compared to previous times. I thought it must be placebo or something but I'm second guessing now. I'll keep on with the Platinum & see what happens.

When a poster said it was "subjective" I thought it meant "subject to the engine" not subject to the ears of the driver...though maybe he did...
In any case I think it's fair to say that some engines prefer the add-packs of some brands over others...not just the weight range of the oil...and sound quieter.

Humans have fairly acute hearing and olfactory senses.

But I believe dogs have the keenest sense of smell of all animals.

So I recently taught my dog to raise his front paw when he smelled good engine oil and his rear paw when he smelled a bad oil filter.

He always has his back leg in the air when he walks by a FRAM.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Branson304
I just changed Mobil 1 out of my 07 Fusion & put Pennzoil Platinum in.

5W-20 ?

Yes. The Mobil 1 I drained & the new Platinum are both 5W-20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Too many ignorant arrogant trolls on the internet.

If you think an engine sounds different with an oil, then you are probably right. Ignore the deaf mechanically clueless trolls.

Link to an old SAE paper

with measurements of different sound levels from engines, 15 minutes and weeks after oil changes.

Really, the click is in for me...

Basically, humans can hear a 0.4 dBa difference (funny, I had to have my test the other day, and when asked if I'd noticed any changes, I pointed out that the turbines are so much quieter than when I was in my 20s...nurse near fainted, but I tested pretty OK).

9 engines of various mileage, tested on SAE 20s, 30s, 10W30s for a baseline. Switched to a "shear stable" 10W40.

The 6 loudest engines lost between 3-6dBA 15 minutes after the Oil change. 3 of those were even quieter a week later.

Authors conclude that a shear stable 10W40 can offer a noise reduction over 10W30 and SAE 30, and that the cleaning effect may contribute to improved noise over a period of time.

Engines had hydraulic lash adjusters.

edit try another link

Okay, thanks for that. The second link worked. The first didn't work at the office or at home. In any case, I can never tell unless something is really screwy, but I'm usually not bad with high frequency sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back