engine damage and synthetic/dino?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Switching back & forth from dino to synthetic will cause no harm to a higher mileage engine.

Some side effects may be temporary oil consumption, engine noise or minor weeping of oil from engine seals, but the mechanical components of the engine will not be damaged.

Tontuu, please explain for us, what is your standard practice, in Sweden, for disposing or recycling of used engine oil after an oil change?

this myth is espoused by every shadetree mechanic i've ever run into. when asked why damage will occur when the switch is made, no one is able to answer. this urban myth is t3h sux0r.

i change my oils in the gas station.they have place there where used oil can be left.there is a big oil drum and i just pour my old oils in there.
rolleyes.gif

Here you can deliver used oil at any gas-station. Practice is: What you sell, you have to take back when it's old. The cost of this system is paid by importer/producer, reseller, consumer and government.

02 Dodge Intrepid, oil used in it's life
Motorcraft 5/30
Havoline 5/30
Trop Artic 5/30
some Valvoline 5/30 (before I did it myself)

It's now at 105,000 miles and for the last 1500 miles it has GC in it. Just checked level and no leaks, and no oil loss. Never did burn oil anyway.
Myth broken...

I think there are bascially two sides to this situation that some of us believe in. First, if the engine has been run exclusively on dino, chances are that there may be some minor sludge or deposits around the seals that are in fact, preventing it from leaking. Second, if the age of the car is that old, why would you now put a higher dollar oil in it when it's on its last legs anyway. If that regime has been successful, then stay status quo. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. A older engine with a lot of miles will not greatly benefit from switching to synthetics at this point.

i have heard that if someone is using many years dino oil,cannot switch to fully or synthetic blend because engine is worn out with dino oil and it will brake the engine if someone puts synthetic after dino,or,if someone if using synthetic oils or synthetic blend cannot go to dino oils.is that true or full of crap?
confused.gif
gr_eek2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back