Engine Break In: 2010 Civic Si - Which Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I've just purchased a brand new 2010 Civic Si. I do not have it yet but I want to be prepared for when I get it in about a week.

I understand the engine break in is a controversal topic but I figured of all people you guys will give the best advice.

The day I get it I plan to change the motor oil out for some brand of synthetic 5w-30.

1. What kind of vehicle you have
  • 2010 Civic Si (K20Z3)

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
  • 5w-30, I can't seem to find an online manual.

3. Where you live
  • New England - MA

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
  • I will drive conservative for the first 500mi but I am a fast/hard driver about 40% of the time.

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
  • 99% city driving, usually 10-30 minute drives

6. Whether your car has any known problems
  • Brand new

I've read a lot on here and it looks like Amsoil and Redline are very good oils. Cost doesn't bother me much, I just want to break the car in properly and use the best oils I can to make the car drive it's best. If you have any reccomendations on how frequently I should change the oil during break in or break in techniques please let me know.

Honda uses a special break-in oil and i'm of the idea that you should leave it in until it's recommended to change it. The owner's manual even states in bold print in the break-in section to not change the oil until the first scheduled service.

Now I know a lot of people will say that manufacturers are reducing maintenance intervals to look better environmentally, but the fact that they specifically say not to instead of just providing a maintenance schedule tells me they must have some specific reason. Of my four Honda's all have kept the factory fill until the first recommended service and they all still operate fantastically and problem free today.

Just drive like you normally would/should until the 1st oil change is due and then carry on with the rest of the servicing routing.

That's it!

Q.

Follow the manual, but grab a sample after say 100 miles to verify that there is a breakin oil. Even after following the manual, i'd want a high moly oil in there, so I'd be looking at schaeffer's if possible.

Use the initial fill according to the OLM or 5k - 7.5k miles then switch it to Mobil 1 5w-30 with Mobil 1 filter or OEM Honda.

Dont change the oil out earlier. If you cant wait, 1500 should be OK for a 1st OCI. What oil after that? If you want to try something special and get some good power - redline 5w-30. There would be many opinions - I would listen to someone in tune with their Si engine who shares your driving habits and see what they had luck with. If I had to go mobil brand, id start with 1 qt M1 R4T and the balance of the fill std m1. Some here might want you to try the new pennzoil ultra syn.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Follow the manual, but grab a sample after say 100 miles to verify that there is a breakin oil. ...
Really, a sample at 100 miles? Assuming there is break in lube in there with the oil, so how do you tell which is the moly contributor?

Originally Posted By: swimmer
Did you look in this forum: http://www.8thcivic.com
You'll prob find more folks on this forum that know more about cars and tune than that civic forum. I just read a thread and shook my head - kids changine out plugs bC thay are black carbon fouled and not fixing their tune. Also using TP sniffers for seting AF ratio on a SC tuned car is a no-no.

Last edited:
I too would run it until time for a normal oil change.

We use 5W20 synthetic in all our vehicles. Don't your new vehicle call for either 0W20 or 5W20 too?

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
I too would run it until time for a normal oil change.

We use 5W20 synthetic in all our vehicles. Don't your new vehicle call for either 0W20 or 5W20 too?
He has an Si, I am pretty sure it calls for a 30wt oil.

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies! I've been getting about 80% people telling me to drive it easy until 600mi and about 20% of people telling me to drive it hard right off the lot. I wish everyone could agree.
54.gif

What about my first oil change when it is time, it looks like it's down to these three:

- Ultra
- RL
- Amsoil

I feel I'll be safe with any of the three, but are there any pros/cons of these?

Originally Posted By: 92CB7user
Wow, thanks for all the quick replies! I've been getting about 80% people telling me to drive it easy until 600mi and about 20% of people telling me to drive it hard right off the lot. I wish everyone could agree.
54.gif

I say Gas on it!

I would simply use the owners manual recommendation for both oil changes and the break in procedure.

Their engineers designed the engine and did a lot of testing regarding those things.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Follow the manual, but grab a sample after say 100 miles to verify that there is a breakin oil. ...
Really, a sample at 100 miles? Assuming there is break in lube in there with the oil, so how do you tell which is the moly contributor?

It really doesnt matter. In my view (potentially wrong), if there is a very high Mo content, then we can assume that it is a special break-in oil, worthy of keeping in.

Different manufacturers have different schemes. Subaru, for example, uses a very moly-rich break-in oil, and recommends a 3500 mile OCI, but does not require a change until 7000. Honda has the OLM, and it seems that they use a break in oil that is justified to go the course. My saab, recommended just keeping the oil in, but nothing specific to it really looked like it had a chemistry that indicated high dosing of AW adds, etc. Ditto for my wife's VW.

So it is a tough call, perhaps an arbitrary call... clouded by circumstances where free maintenance is given.

But in the cases where I see super-high doses of moly (particularly since not all new engines are set up this way), I personally feel that these should be left in to the recommendation. Others are owner's call. Others may have other opinions.

A UOA after a few miles is really the only way to see. Since supposedly most breakin wear occurs after 100 miles, if I pulled a sample and saw 1000ppm moly, but also saw 500ppm Fe or Al or Cu, I might want to change. If I saw reasonable wear rates, I might not worry about changing it oput to the manufacturer's requirement.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: 92CB7user
54.gif

I say Gas on it!

Absolutely keep it under 3500 the first 500 miles thogh you can give it heavy throttle. Id keep it under 4000 rpm the first 1000 miles - and good luck at keeping the RPMS down :0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back