End of life of electronic devices

I’m

Going
There's a number of options that don't involve exposing the thermostat directly to the internet, like a VPN or a jump box.
Okay makes more sense now, additional complex configuration required to ensure security which is why cloud based thermostats fill the void for consumer based solutions with dead simple configuration that can easily be supported.

Bought a Yamaha 7.2-channel home theater receiver from Crutchfield less than 3 years ago, and at the time of the purchase, I bought a 3-yr Allstate Protection Plan for $149. About two months ago, it started to simply shut-off on its own, as if an internal protection circuit was activating. If you turned it back on, it would shut-off again after one minute, 10 minutes, or possibly take up to 1/2 hr.

Filed an online claim with Allstate, and after I received approval with a Fedex shipping label, I sent the receiver to their repair depot. Last week I received an email stating the receiver could not be repaired, and they would send me a reimbursement check for the full purchase amount in 5-7 business days.

So apparently end-of-life for Yamaha receivers is less than three years. At least I had the foresight to buy a warranty, which I don't normally do, however, I knew I would using this receiver daily, and its original purchase price was just over $1k USD, so I justified the warranty purchase in this instance.

Bought a Yamaha 7.2-channel home theater receiver from Crutchfield less than 3 years ago, and at the time of the purchase, I bought a 3-yr Allstate Protection Plan for $149. About two months ago, it started to simply shut-off on its own, as if an internal protection circuit was activating. If you turned it back on, it would shut-off again after one minute, 10 minutes, or possibly take up to 1/2 hr.

Filed an online claim with Allstate, and after I received approval with a Fedex shipping label, I sent the receiver to their repair depot. Last week I received an email stating the receiver could not be repaired, and they would send me a reimbursement check for the full purchase amount in 5-7 business days.

So apparently end-of-life for Yamaha receivers is less than three years. At least I had the foresight to buy a warranty, which I don't normally do, however, I knew I would using this receiver daily, and its original purchase price was just over $1k USD, so I justified the warranty purchase in this instance.
Bought a Yamaha AVR to replace my old B&K AVR507 that finally crapped out in the preamp section last year. When I was connecting it I noticed something funny. It was supposed to be a 100x7 receiver with Class AB amplification (usually 50-65% efficient). Yet total power consumption was only around 360w lol. They rated the thing in the ILS (If Lightning Strikes) method. What a pile of garbage that thing is. The audible difference between the two AVR's is shocking.

I'm currently looking around for separates. An older 7 channel amplifier with a 4K passthrough 7 channel preamp that can be updated/replaced as needed.

Okay makes more sense now, additional complex configuration required to ensure security which is why cloud based thermostats fill the void for consumer based solutions with dead simple configuration that can easily be supported.

For my intended use, I don't care about accessing it remotely. As long as I can access it on my local network, that's enough. That's where a thermostat with a built-in web access meets the need.

Back