EGR Valve Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mori, Gary Allan recommended the Amsoil Power Foam, I am going to have to remove the EGR Valve to do this, he agreed with me that this was good to do at 30,000 miles.

I only take recommendations from people on this board.

Originally Posted By: c3po
Mori, Gary Allan recommended the Amsoil Power Foam, I am going to have to remove the EGR Valve to do this, he agreed with me that this was good to do at 30,000 miles.

I only take recommendations from people on this board.

Have you even tested the EGR valve?

Are you even going to take a look at the EGR passage?

Yes Mori, I am going to look at the EGR Passage and I will also get the EGR Valve tested before I do anything.

This is not an area where I will be playing Shadetree Mechanic.

You can test if the EGR valve is working properly yourself. You disconnect the vacuum hose that connects to the EGR diaphragm. Hook up a vacuum pump to that disconnected hose, let the engine idle, then apply vacuum with the pump. If the car idles rough or dies, the EGR valve is functioning. If the idle is not affected, the EGR passage is clogged. If you can't apply vacuum, then the diaphragm is damaged and leaking.

c3po -- you're right - gary is knowledgeable, and he wouldn't recommend the power foam if it didn't work. years back, we "backyard mechanics" tried a few spray products, with mixed results. that's when one of the boys came up with the "roto-rooter" method, using old type speedo cable in a variable speed drill. excellent results.i'm sure that modern spray cleaners are more effective than the products that were available back then. buy the amsoil power foam, and have at it. good luck, and let us know the results.

Actually, the most important part is to give the EGR passage a super-smooth finish after cleaning it out. Since I've mentioned this by now a few times, and because it's being blatantly ignored, I will stop commenting. Do as you please!
grin2.gif

Mori, I wanted to let you know that I am following your advice and I do appreciate everything that you have said here. I have already printed out everything you have said so that when I do the EGR cleaning on my car I have all of the information in front of me.

Originally Posted By: yeti
c3po -- you're right - gary is knowledgeable, and he wouldn't recommend the power foam if it didn't work. years back, we "backyard mechanics" tried a few spray products, with mixed results. that's when one of the boys came up with the "roto-rooter" method, using old type speedo cable in a variable speed drill. excellent results.i'm sure that modern spray cleaners are more effective than the products that were available back then. buy the amsoil power foam, and have at it. good luck, and let us know the results.

I have used the Amsoil power foam to clean the throttle body. the stuff worked great, clinging to the parts that were in need of deep cleaning. made short work of any carbon. I really needed it on the underside where other solvents would just run down. watching the foam slowly slide down the walls and leaving a clean surface made the job a lot easier.

I used Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner in the spray can to clean out the EGR valve/passages/pipe on a Nissan VG30E motor when I had the plenum out. I used a screwdriver as a reamer on the plenum passages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back