Diesel additives for DPF/EGR longevity

I have a few questions about the DPF and EGR. The more I read about it the more worried it makes me. I have a 2017 LR Discovery 3.0l TD6 with 65k miles that I've owned as a CPO since 6800miles. I'm reading some horror stories about cost and part availability for people getting higher mileage on these with regards to the DPF/EGR system.

1) In general how many miles is a DPF filter supposed to last for?
2) Can diesel additives prolong the life?

There are some additives out there like Hot Shot Diesel Extreme I'm about to run through my tank then I purchase two bottles of the Hot Shot's Every Day Treatment to start running with all my fill ups. From what I've read on some LR forums and watched on youtube reviews the Diesel Extreme seems to make a noticeable difference cleaning things out and the EDT seems to increase people's drivability across the board.

I use to think everything was snake oil then ran a few bottles through an old diesel truck of my dads and it legit cleaned it up and got it running better. I had someone once say "If it worked they'd be adding to the fuel" but then had a counterpoint made that with as much fuel as they sell they're out there trying to make the best margins they can. It's why there's different tiers of diesel with the Tier 1 coming around that has the higher cetane levels. Unfortunately even in Houston, Tx there's only two Tier 1 places (Costco) and neither are anywhere practical to my home. For a EGR valve and DPF replacement at the dealership it's something like $7k based on what someone else is going through. So I'd rather do what I can to prolong things.

I'm a semi mechanic. I work on natural gas and diesel semis. The best thing you can do for a modern diesel is not let it idle for prolonged periods. That includes warming the engine up, too. The old herd thought of needing to warm up a diesel won't gain you any miles. It will however net you less miles on $$$ components.

What does your owner's manual recommend regarding the EGR cleaning service interval, ex. the Cummins 6.7L I own calls for an EGR cleaning and CCV filter replacement every 67,500 miles.

Dealership parts replacement is obviously cost prohibitive in most cases, but DPF's can be removed and baked in an oven to allow the captured particulate to be cleaned/removed then reinstalled. The dealership profit margin on parts can be well in their favor so they won't suggest that typically.

Keeping up with regular & timely maintenance/service intervals is far more important than additives.

This sounds like a good oil to run if you are worried about DPF longevity.

Chevron Delo 600 ADF
Ok but this isn't answering my questions guys. I wasn't asking what fluid to run really. I'm happy with my choice based on reviews.

2) Can diesel additives prolong the life? (of the filter) As in does that value ever change or am I just keeping the engine cleaner.

What does your owner's manual recommend regarding the EGR cleaning service interval, ex. the Cummins 6.7L I own calls for an EGR cleaning and CCV filter replacement every 67,500 miles.

Dealership parts replacement is obviously cost prohibitive in most cases, but DPF's can be removed and baked in an oven to allow the captured particulate to be cleaned/removed then reinstalled. The dealership profit margin on parts can be well in their favor so they won't suggest that typically.

Keeping up with regular & timely maintenance/service intervals is far more important than additives.
There is nothing I can find.

Discovery maintenance intervals.jpeg

The DPF is supposed to last the life of the vehicle. There are a lot of factors that can shorten it,'s life. Excessive idling, short tripping, engine burning oil, running a smokey tune, poor design, etc, etc, etc.

The DPF is supposed to last the life of the vehicle. There are a lot of factors that can shorten it,'s life. Excessive idling, short tripping, engine burning oil, running a smokey tune, poor design, etc, etc, etc.
"Supposed to" & reality are two very different things at certain times. This is one of those events. As you said "Lot of factors that can shorten it's life". Means it should not be told that it will last the life of the vehicle. It is a maintenance part. Deleting them would not be popular if they lasted the life of the vehicle. ;)

Everything I've ever seen was warrantied to perform, as intended, for a certain amount of miles never "For the life of the vehicle". After that period it's a gamble on longevity. Unfortunately, I've seen several clog up & lock up the engine. Who wants to play that gamble? I would plan for its replacement or cleaning by 125k.

That Hot Shot is not going to do anything for your vehicle. It’s for striction in mechanical injection diesels. I learned this with my MB diesel. Use Power Service Diesel Kleen in the gray bottle. Your engine will run smoother and quieter. Keeps everything clean.

That Hot Shot is not going to do anything for your vehicle. It’s for striction in mechanical injection diesels. I learned this with my MB diesel. Use Power Service Diesel Kleen in the gray bottle. Your engine will run smoother and quieter. Keeps everything clean.
It brings the centane levels up which is all diesel kleen does

I don't believe this to be true. They fill with soot and will need cleaned or replaced at some point.

Just my $0.02

@FlyingTexan there are no guarantees on your question at all. IMO there are no additives that will prolong EGR or DPF life. I think your best bet is to save your money on the treatments for cleaning the EGR & DPF when you need it. As @skyactiv stated don't idle your vehicle for long periods of time. I would also ensure you take it on a good highway run somewhat often so it regenerates properly and fully.

Just my $0.02

@FlyingTexan there are no guarantees on your question at all. IMO there are no additives that will prolong EGR or DPF life. I think your best bet is to save your money on the treatments for cleaning the EGR & DPF when you need it. As @skyactiv stated don't idle your vehicle for long periods of time. I would also ensure you take it on a good highway run somewhat often so it regenerates properly and fully.

Just my $0.02
I gotcha. I’m debating getting it deleted but really if they’d just NOT make it filter $2600 to start with I wouldn’t consider it

Ok but this isn't answering my questions guys. I wasn't asking what fluid to run really. I'm happy with my choice based on reviews.

2) Can diesel additives prolong the life? (of the filter) As in does that value ever change or am I just keeping the engine cleaner.
1) ask JLR. VW has an inspection internal of 120k miles where you check the measured ash level and determine remaining service life. I'm at 155k and my DPF isn't half full. I have only used 504/507 oils for about half of my 5k changes.

2) yes, there are diesel additives formulated to enhance regeneration.

1) ask JLR. VW has an inspection internal of 120k miles where you check the measured ash level and determine remaining service life. I'm at 155k and my DPF isn't half full. I have only used 504/507 oils for about half of my 5k changes.

2) yes, there are diesel additives formulated to enhance regeneration.
And some of the additives raising cetane levels reduce smoke and soot. They also aid in increasing egt so the regens are more productive.

Back