Education and do you want it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want , you gotta work for it: are Americans lazy in school, I wonder.

Top of the Class: How Asian Parents Raise High Achievers and How You Can, Too

Washington DC - December 28, 2005 – Asian Americans make up 4% of the U.S. population, but represent 20% of the students now attending America’s elite Ivy League schools. They are not more intelligent or gifted than non-Asian students. The reason they outperform their peers in the classroom has everything to do with how they are raised.

Soo Kim Abboud is a surgeon and an assistant professor at the University of Pennsylvania. Her sister Jane is an attorney. They were born in the United States to parents who had emigrated from Korea with little money in their pockets but big dreams of a better life in their hearts. From the very beginning, Jane Kim says, her parents realized the importance of education for their daughters, and they made it their top priority. “When we were younger, I mean in elementary and middle school, our parents were very involved,” she says.

So involved, she recalls, that they gladly assumed the role of teacher after the school day ended.

“The thing that both my sister and I were amazed at was that every time we had a question, every time we asked them to help us with a difficult concept at school or with a project, they never acted as if it was a burden, they always were quick to help us,” she says. “There were times when our parents didn’t really understand the concepts. They would actually try to re-learn the concepts and re-teach themselves. They just made themselves available all the time.”

While their classmates were talking on the phone with friends, having sleepovers and going to the mall, the Kim sisters were different. “I was in the 5th grade and I had a curfew in terms of the time I can spend on the phone,” Jane says. “We had much more strict upbringing than others. We didn’t go out on weekdays. We didn’t go out as much as our colleagues and friends. I think we knew that early on,” Soo recalls.

But it wasn’t until many years later that the girls realized how much their parents’ approach to child-rearing had contributed to their success. Soo Kim Abboud says they also realized they were not alone. “I think that’s more prevalent in the Asian cultures than others. There is a great statistic that I like to share,” Soo says. “When 15-year-old teenagers were asked whether they expect to graduate from college, 58% of white teenagers expected to graduate from college. Eighty-five percent of Korean and Japanese teenagers expected to graduate from college, and 95% of Indian teenagers expected to graduate from college. I think this shows there is a tremendous emphasis and prioritization of education in these Asian families. That’s something to be proud of. We aren’t saying we are any smarter, it’s just the emphasis on education that makes a difference.”

Soo Kim Abboud and Jane Kim compiled their observations in a new book, Top of the Class: How Asian Parents Raise High Achievers and How You Can Too. In it, they explain what Asian parents cultivate in their kids that helps them maximize their chances of success in school. And they highlight the differences between Asian and American families in raising their children.

“In American families, I think, most of them stress effort,” Jane says. “We always hear that saying, ‘As long as you try, it’s O.K.’ In Asian families, they really believe in that principle, but they also stress the achievement. They want you to put your best foot forward, but they also want you to do achieve. Asian parents take the time out to really get involved and know what their child is doing in the classroom. They are very aware of what’s going on. Asian parents are generally very practical people. They are the first to tell you that money really matters, that if you can’t pay your bills, it’s difficult to be happy.”

While many American parents encourage their kids to have as many extra-curricular activities as they can handle, Jane Kim says Asian parents usually don’t do that. “I think Asian families, many of them, make sure that the number one priority is education,” Jane says. “So they tend to limit a handful of extra curricular activities. Both Soo and I played piano. We also played tennis, and they are great for taking your mind from your studies and being able to mingle with other students. But I think if you have so many, it’s going to detract and you’re not necessarily going to do a great job in all of them.”

Soo Kim Abboud says she considers herself fortunate that she was raised in an Asian family. Being raised here in the United States, she says, was another advantage.

“I think the American culture is wonderful,” Soo says. “It promotes creativity, independence and emotional development. I think the key here is to get the best of the American culture. You also have to embrace and keep what’s made the Asian cultures so special: the discipline, the ability to delay gratification and emphasis on education. I think the two of those together is probably the best combination you can have.”

However, Asian parents also make mistakes. And that’s what the sisters focus on in the last chapter of their book.

“Asian parents sometimes pressure too much to force their kids in one direction,” Jane says. “But I think the key here is that Asian parents can learn something from non-Asian parents about expressing that their child’s happiness does mean as much as any educational achievement,” Soo adds. “The thing that I recommend would be just to keep an open dialogue with your child, to talk with them about what their wishes are, what their expectations are,” Jane suggests.

Soo and Jane Kim say they hope their book will inspire parents everywhere to be more involved in their kids’ educational life, encourage them to dream and help them work hard until those dreams come true.

My Wife is Asian and she has 2 daughters, one 17 & one 14. Senior & Freshman.

Both bring home A's, but the 14 YO brings home straight A's. 17 YO is great at Math, but cannot even stop her checkbook from going overdraft.
lol.gif
I really raz her on that.

Their Mom (my Wife) is strict with them, but the 17YO has stars in her eyes, so that's a challenge...

I give them $10 for each A they bring home as it shows them going beyond what's expected pays off in life. They are starting to get it.

I have an Asian wife... The only person she is hard on in life seems to be me!

We have a daughter who is very smart and takes after Dad and we love her to pieces and I have money set aside to pay for her University and I plan to have her live on the campus or have an apartment nearby.

I grew up with no buses in a French area off the island of Montreal with no jobs and I had to bike everywhere. I used to have to walk home from Ste-Anne de Bellevue late at night and graduated high school in the middle of a huge recession.

I don't plan on having my daughter struggle at all with keeping in school and plan on matching what she earns at a part time job if it doesn't interfere with her grades. She is 2 1/2 years old now and can count to ten, understands the alphabet and you can hear her practicing on her own. Concepts and importance aren't lost on her so I think school won't weigh her down.

The only thing that may cause her issues is the boys are already hugging her and kissing her in the park
frown.gif

Oh well, the curse of having a daughter...

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
If you want , you gotta work for it: are Americans lazy in school, I wonder.

Top of the Class: How Asian Parents Raise High Achievers and How You Can, Too

Washington DC - December 28, 2005 – Asian Americans make up 4% of the U.S. population, but represent 20% of the students now attending America’s elite Ivy League schools. They are not more intelligent or gifted than non-Asian students. The reason they outperform their peers in the classroom has everything to do with how they are raised.

Soo Kim Abboud is a surgeon and an assistant professor at the University of Pennsylvania. Her sister Jane is an attorney. They were born in the United States to parents who had emigrated from Korea with little money in their pockets but big dreams of a better life in their hearts. From the very beginning, Jane Kim says, her parents realized the importance of education for their daughters, and they made it their top priority. “When we were younger, I mean in elementary and middle school, our parents were very involved,” she says.

So involved, she recalls, that they gladly assumed the role of teacher after the school day ended.

“The thing that both my sister and I were amazed at was that every time we had a question, every time we asked them to help us with a difficult concept at school or with a project, they never acted as if it was a burden, they always were quick to help us,” she says. “There were times when our parents didn’t really understand the concepts. They would actually try to re-learn the concepts and re-teach themselves. They just made themselves available all the time.”

While their classmates were talking on the phone with friends, having sleepovers and going to the mall, the Kim sisters were different. “I was in the 5th grade and I had a curfew in terms of the time I can spend on the phone,” Jane says. “We had much more strict upbringing than others. We didn’t go out on weekdays. We didn’t go out as much as our colleagues and friends. I think we knew that early on,” Soo recalls.

But it wasn’t until many years later that the girls realized how much their parents’ approach to child-rearing had contributed to their success. Soo Kim Abboud says they also realized they were not alone. “I think that’s more prevalent in the Asian cultures than others. There is a great statistic that I like to share,” Soo says. “When 15-year-old teenagers were asked whether they expect to graduate from college, 58% of white teenagers expected to graduate from college. Eighty-five percent of Korean and Japanese teenagers expected to graduate from college, and 95% of Indian teenagers expected to graduate from college. I think this shows there is a tremendous emphasis and prioritization of education in these Asian families. That’s something to be proud of. We aren’t saying we are any smarter, it’s just the emphasis on education that makes a difference.”

Soo Kim Abboud and Jane Kim compiled their observations in a new book, Top of the Class: How Asian Parents Raise High Achievers and How You Can Too. In it, they explain what Asian parents cultivate in their kids that helps them maximize their chances of success in school. And they highlight the differences between Asian and American families in raising their children.

“In American families, I think, most of them stress effort,” Jane says. “We always hear that saying, ‘As long as you try, it’s O.K.’ In Asian families, they really believe in that principle, but they also stress the achievement. They want you to put your best foot forward, but they also want you to do achieve. Asian parents take the time out to really get involved and know what their child is doing in the classroom. They are very aware of what’s going on. Asian parents are generally very practical people. They are the first to tell you that money really matters, that if you can’t pay your bills, it’s difficult to be happy.”

While many American parents encourage their kids to have as many extra-curricular activities as they can handle, Jane Kim says Asian parents usually don’t do that. “I think Asian families, many of them, make sure that the number one priority is education,” Jane says. “So they tend to limit a handful of extra curricular activities. Both Soo and I played piano. We also played tennis, and they are great for taking your mind from your studies and being able to mingle with other students. But I think if you have so many, it’s going to detract and you’re not necessarily going to do a great job in all of them.”

Soo Kim Abboud says she considers herself fortunate that she was raised in an Asian family. Being raised here in the United States, she says, was another advantage.

“I think the American culture is wonderful,” Soo says. “It promotes creativity, independence and emotional development. I think the key here is to get the best of the American culture. You also have to embrace and keep what’s made the Asian cultures so special: the discipline, the ability to delay gratification and emphasis on education. I think the two of those together is probably the best combination you can have.”

However, Asian parents also make mistakes. And that’s what the sisters focus on in the last chapter of their book.

“Asian parents sometimes pressure too much to force their kids in one direction,” Jane says. “But I think the key here is that Asian parents can learn something from non-Asian parents about expressing that their child’s happiness does mean as much as any educational achievement,” Soo adds. “The thing that I recommend would be just to keep an open dialogue with your child, to talk with them about what their wishes are, what their expectations are,” Jane suggests.

Soo and Jane Kim say they hope their book will inspire parents everywhere to be more involved in their kids’ educational life, encourage them to dream and help them work hard until those dreams come true.

You think the teachers unions will buy into this if it gets in the way of more hiring and more pay raises?

Ya gotta have a modicum of intellectual curiosity to be really "educated". Lots of people without the "benefit" of higher education ticket punching are curious about how stuff works, and apply their interest to the benefit of their their employer or their own small business. Others sit in from of the boob tube, suck their thumbs, and compare "sacks per game" or some such USELESS information. What I do for a living has nothing to do with electronics, or wrenching cars and motorbikes, but I've had a field day with lemon law cases when a "factory rep" tries to bullbleep me about OBDII or whatever.
Obviously the folks on this site, aside from the trolls, ARE curious, or they'd be looking at batting averages and listening to talk shows where jock sniffers second guess professional coaches instead.

Last edited:
I have seen the demonstrators / teachers wanting more and more and more. IMHO I would not want to send my kids to those kind of schools ever. You can read between the lines.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Ya gotta have a modicum of intellectual curiosity to be really "educated". Lots of people without the "benefit" of higher education ticket punching are curious about how stuff works, and apply their interest to the benefit of their their employer or their own small business. Others sit in from of the boob tube, suck their thumbs, and compare "sacks per game" or some such USELESS information. What I do for a living has nothing to do with electronics, or wrenching cars and motorbikes, but I've had a field day with a lemon law cases when a "factory rep" tries to bullbleep me about OBDII or whatever.
Obviously the folks on this site, aside from the trolls, ARE curious, or they'd be looking at batting averages and listining to talk shows where jock sniffers second guess professional coaches
lol, well said

Though illustrative, this is a set of generalizations.

As an example of success in educational life, of young Americans working hard and achieving results; my daughter is a sophmore at Yale.

Very few American students at Yale, most of them are from Asia and India.

Its all how they raise their kids. American parents say oh you have time to do lots of sports honey, and than yell at the PTA for their kids getting so much homework.

In contrast in a Chinese household its simply expected that the children will succeed academically, and their parents support them in their efforts.

Its also what the cultures value, they don't value the get rich celebrate culture we have, they want their kids to be scientists and doctors, those jobs are more prestigious to them.

Which is why we have a scientific and engineering problem in this country, we simply don't graduate enough of them. Instead we pump out lawyers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Instead we pump out lawyers.

...and "Text-perts"

Hatteresguy - As an American parent, I have to clarify/respond a bit on what you said...while there are a large number of foreign students...about 87-88% of Yale students are from the US. Yale doesn't publish demographics on race (that I can find) but they do have a diverse class...my daughter's friends are basically middle class kids from the US and a few foreign countries...some interesting demographics exist there, but it is a broad class that one thing in common: excellence. Every kid who is there has demonstrated true excellence in addition to academic achievement, just to gain admission...

One important statistic - over 70% of Yale students get financial aid...that's key: it's not just rich kids, not just the elite at Yale...you can get a feel for what it takes to get into Yale, as well as the richness and oportunity of a Yale education, by surfing through their site at http://admissions.yale.edu/home

And in the case of my kids, the "get rich" culture was never taught...one doesn't get rich serving in the Navy...but the values of personal integrity, academic achievement and hard work were taught...and, I hope, demonstrated by example...

And for the record, my daughter's goal is to be a doctor...not for prestige...but because it fascinates her...and it's her way to make a difference in the world...

I think the real test of a life, when you look back on it (and at my age, I have more to look back on now than I have to look forward to) is this: did I make a difference?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Turk
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Instead we pump out lawyers.

...and "Text-perts"

The irony is not lost...

I know of a few parents who have Amerasian children soon to be college bound.

The children are told not to put "Asian" on their applications as there are quotas as to how many "Asians" will be accepted.

You must love how quota systems operate in this country.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
I know of a few parents who have Amerasian children soon to be college bound.

The children are told not to put "Asian" on their applications as there are quotas as to how many "Asians" will be accepted.

You must love how quota systems operate in this country.

I guess that would only work if they have an American name

I remember when my wife came home after the first few day of school this past Sept (she teaches special needs) and the new foreign exchange student asked her why the other students were not studying during lunch hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back