Ecore with an Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Valvoline badged Ecore from a quick lube place. Came off my stepfathers beater, has around 6k miles on it.

I was a little shocked to see a pencil sized hole in the media, also the pleats are somewhat deformed in that area, can anyone explain how this would happen?

valvo111.jpg

valvo2.jpg

ADMIN NOTE: I took the liberty of capturing your images, and used PS to shrink them to an appropriate size (600 pixels wide). . .

Last edited by a moderator:
From the outside in....
crazy2.gif

Could you have maybe damaged it when cutting it open? (pried it near there)

Did you see the hole when it was installed? The air check that Champ does would have caught it so get a hold of them and see what they say.

Interesting..

Couldn't have been from me, I cut the can open from the bottom with an air cut off, no prying.

I'm with Bill, very strange. A puncture/hole from the outside in where the pleat is separated. The rest looks normal.

I know you didn't puncture it, but it's almost like someone ran a screwdriver or something through it. If that were true it would have had to be during construction.

I must say I'm having a hard time believing that happened during the OCI.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
From the outside in....
crazy2.gif

That's the direction the pressure/flow of oil would be in the filter's use.

Probably had a weak area in the media, and the oil pressure during use just caused it to fail at some point.

I agree with you last two guys. I think it was just a manufacturing fluke and the oil was still partly filted.
Prob'ly never happen again.

I realize that is the direction of flow, and I suppose it could have been a weak point in the media which gave way over time.

As said, probably still a good amount of filtering going on anyway.

But still
arte.jpg

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
From the outside in....
crazy2.gif

That's the direction the pressure/flow of oil would be in the filter's use.

Probably had a weak area in the media, and the oil pressure during use just caused it to fail at some point.

I know that is the way the oil flows..
grin2.gif

The reason why I said that is because if someone or something poked a hole in there, it would be from the inside core to the outside.

Someone could have poked the hole and then the pressure took the small part and pushed it back towards the core?

There is no way this could have passed QC at Champ. Let them know about it with photos and lets see what they think....

Curious where, or who installed the filter. As Bill said if someone picked up the filter from the inside of the outflow tube with a pointed object, that could have produced a hole like that.

Another possibilty.

I sent an e-mail to tech support "I recently opened a Valvoline labeled Ecore oil filter to inspect as I do from time to time and was shocked to discover a hole in the media. I wanted to know if this could have happened during manufacture or perhaps just a weak spot in the media etc.. I do have pictures of the filter which I could e-mail you if you like.

Thank You"

We'll see what happens.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Curious where, or who installed the filter. As Bill said if someone picked up the filter from the inside of the outflow tube with a pointed object, that could have produced a hole like that.

Another possibilty.

The installer was an independent garage my parents use.

That's just the ecore quality design, look at the pleats by the hole starting to get forced inside the cage some,this filter was ran to long.

Does this filter have a bypass? Look at the pleats in the vicinity of the hole; they are being forced through the cage. This filter was run too long, and I suspect there was either a faulty bypass, or some cold temps.
Also, looking at the filter, there seems to be a good number of particles in there...perhaps this filter was loaded down with insolubles?
Could have been a defect in the media, but the hole wasn't there when it left the factory, as you can tell there has been some pressure on the surrounding area. Me thinks a combination of factors led to the hole.

What kind of car? It was probably bulk 10w-30 oil, and it doesn't look to be in great shape. Is this a known sludge vehicle?

Do you have any idea how the car is driven?

Last edited:
The particles are from me opening the can, The filter was pulled off this spring (just got around to opening it) so it saw winter temps the whole 6k or so. Bulk 5w30, nearly all driving was of the short trip variety and the vehicle is a 99 Pontiac Sunfire.

My theory is this: First, look at the paper end caps. They are so thin that they failed to stabilize the filter pleats in position. With the parting of those pleats, and nothing but a skimpy plastic frame behind to support, it was easy for oil pressure to blow a hole through a weak spot. I seriously doubt this would have happened with a Champ Labs design, a Puro, NAPA, Amsoil, etc.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
My theory is this: First, look at the paper end caps. They are so thin that they failed to stabilize the filter pleats in position. With the parting of those pleats, and nothing but a skimpy plastic frame behind to support, it was easy for oil pressure to blow a hole through a weak spot. I seriously doubt this would have happened with a Champ Labs design, a Puro, NAPA, Amsoil, etc.

The E-core IS a Champ Labs design.........

I doubt it would ever happen with a Fleetguard or Donaldson filter. Heavy diesel filters aren't built as "skimpily" as some of their Passenger Car counterparts seem to be......

It's a beat filter. Severe duty. Should have been 3m/3k

It's exactly the same way all of the old clicker type looked from lubeowner. Beat. There's moisture contamination there.

The hole does look odd as heck. but I can't tell if it's at the seam or not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
The E-core IS a Champ Labs design.........

I doubt it would ever happen with a Fleetguard or Donaldson filter. Heavy diesel filters aren't built as "skimpily" as some of their Passenger Car counterparts seem to be......

C'mon, you know what I meant -- the CL filters with the pleats firmly cemented into the metal end caps, and heavy steel centertube. As in M1, KN, STP, VC, Bosch (some), and so on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back