Ecore with an Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I hate to say it but IMHO i think this was a setup by the op in order to turn people away from buying e-core filters even though they are a fine filter, call me crazy if you'd like.

This corpse needed to be unearthed 18 months or so later for this revelation???? Look, if the filter involved had been built with metal end caps, into which the entire element was deeply and firmly cemented, the pleats simply COULD NOT have spread out as these did. Add to that the lack of full-area backing that a metal center tube provides, and you have a recipe for just this sort of blow through. Use e-cores if you want to -- it'll be a cold day in the underworld before I do...

+1 million

bang on! and here I thought you were an ecore lover in the other thread.... sorry
grin.gif

No, from what I read he was saying the orange can was [censored] too. Difference is, the orange costs $4+, as opposed to ~$2.50-$2.80 for a Super Tech, of which all are not ecore.

Having had good reult/no issues (including dissection) several times with an ST3614 ecore on a Tacoma, I'd take that before the overpriced pos orange can. That said, I'll take a Purolator Classic over either anytime.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I hate to say it but IMHO i think this was a setup by the op in order to turn people away from buying e-core filters even though they are a fine filter, call me crazy if you'd like.

This corpse needed to be unearthed 18 months or so later for this revelation???? Look, if the filter involved had been built with metal end caps, into which the entire element was deeply and firmly cemented, the pleats simply COULD NOT have spread out as these did. Add to that the lack of full-area backing that a metal center tube provides, and you have a recipe for just this sort of blow through. Use e-cores if you want to -- it'll be a cold day in the underworld before I do...

+1 million

bang on! and here I thought you were an ecore lover in the other thread.... sorry
grin.gif

No, from what I read he was saying the orange can was [censored] too. Difference is, the orange costs $4+, as opposed to ~$2.50-$2.80 for a Super Tech, of which all are not ecore.

Having had good reult/no issues (including dissection) several times with an ST3614 ecore on a Tacoma, I'd take that before the overpriced pos orange can. That said, I'll take a Purolator Classic over either anytime.

That's where we differ. If there were only two filters available for my application, one an ecore and one the orange can, I'd take the orange can, and even pay a premium for it.

However, do I run Fram's? Rarely, because the cost of them put them out of the running 9/10 when there's the pretty Puro 14612 around for less.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
My theory is this: First, look at the paper end caps. They are so thin that they failed to stabilize the filter pleats in position. With the parting of those pleats, and nothing but a skimpy plastic frame behind to support, it was easy for oil pressure to blow a hole through a weak spot. I seriously doubt this would have happened with a Champ Labs design, a Puro, NAPA, Amsoil, etc.

Champion really needs to beef up the tube cage used in the e-core filters. There is just not enough support for the filter media which allows a pressure spike to blow through one of those big spaces in the tube.

Here is what the tube cage looks like for the cartridge filter on my Hyundai. This is what Champion needs to do for the e-core.

IMG_2835.jpg

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

Here is what the tube cage looks like for the cartridge filter on my Hyundai. This is what Champion needs to do for the e-core.

IMG_2835.jpg

That looks like a much better window layout on the Hyundai filter.

E-cores are built to be good enough most of the time for the absolute lowest possible manufacturing cost. What do you think Champ is wholesaling those things to Wal-Mart and the quick lube distribution systems for, maybe a dollar or so? Why would I want to put the cheapest possible oil filter on my $20k-$30k vehicle?

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
Why would I want to put the cheapest possible oil filter on my $20k-$30k vehicle?

It's pretty perplexing at times.

I think the e-core design has the potential to be great, really. A lot of flow avaiable through that media.. maybe more so than other filter's because of the open center cage.

Unfortunatly they are walking a thin line.. Maybe if they put one or two more supports in there..and made SURE the pleats near the seam are tight, they would drastically decrease the chances of a fold-over or blow-through.

But, I still stand behind all the e-core's I've used for 7,500-8,000 miles at a time...they were all fine.

Although, I'm using Purolator made QuakerState's now, and I sleep good at night.

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
I think the e-core design has the potential to be great, really. A lot of flow avaiable through that media.. maybe more so than other filter's because of the open center cage.

There really isn't any advantage to flow with the Ecore center core design. There was bench test data on metal core filter that flowed 12+ GPM and the pressure drop across the filter was pretty low. The media itself contributes to the majority of the resistance to flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back