Eco friendly, recycled oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I would not use recycled oil in anything but a beater I didn't care about. However, if there are those who would it is a good idea to help conserve resources.

NOTE - @ $3.80 a qt for "recycled" conventional oil = NO WAY! I would buy new conventional oil for $2-$2.50 a qt.

Last edited:
I remember someone on this board stating that re-refined oil is just as good as virgin oil. IIRC many of the store brand oils in canada are re-refined.

I seen it at Autozone in Florida too. It caught my interest and Id probably try it, Iam sure its as good as refining crude and in grade,but I feel I would be supporting the Green movement and that just aint happening.

If the used oil has been hydro-treated, it can be average, not excellent.

The only savings with re-refined oil is that less energy is consumed re-refining it than refining crude oil. Otherwise, the used oil is used mixed with heavy industrial fuel oil, or road paving asphalt, or otherwise used where virgin fuel oil would be used.

IMHO,

Most of the "better for the environment and Green" sales pitches are nothing more than that. A sales pitch. I'm a practicing environmental engineer and it frustrates me sooo much to see these worthless claims.

Use what you think is the best oil for your vehicle and when you change the oil, recycle it. That's what is really considered environmentally friendly.

If it were $1.50 per quart, and comes with an API starburst logo on it, I would run it all day long.

I've never seen this stuff on a shelf. I wouldn't be surprised if some lube shops are using this stuff.

I do see Safety Kleen trucks pulling into the walmarts to suck the used oil into their truck, but I have never seen it for sale when they re-refine it.

Guys,

The Hyundai dealer I got my oil changed at last uses this oil. I usually change my own oil but it was due and I had to bring it in for its 60K service anyways so thought "what the heck". They only charged $17 for the change including a genuine Hyundai filer and 4 qts 5w-30 remane'd oil.

I ran it for just under 4K, it seemed to do just fine. It was just as smooth as any of the oils I have run. The only observation I had was; it is a weird yellow color out of the bottle/drum and seemed thicker than any 5w-30 I have ever used.

Also after a 4K run with it, it was hardly dirty coming out of the engine. Usually when I drain the oil, it's pretty dark...

Last edited:
"eco-friendly" oil. That's funny! Oil comes from the earth, so by default, it makes it eco-friendly. How much more friendly can we make it, by placing the face of Mr Rogers on the bottle?

Originally Posted By: Mark72
Would you guys use this stuff? You think it would hold up as well as non-recycled oil? Web site states it is "twice refind" making it better for your car and the envirmonment. Perhaps it's more durable because it goes through the refining process a second time?

http://www.safety-kleen.com/products/OilProducts/Pages/EcoPower.aspx

what ever you do ... do not order from them losers. i tried to order some of their oil a year ago from their safety-kleen web-site and they took my money and never sent me the oil. thankfuly the credit card folks were able to get me my money back. sadly safety-kleen sends me a bill ever month letting me know i owe them 48 dollars. more calls than i can remember has been made to them and each time they say they will fix the issue but never do. one time they even said they have proof that i sign for oil but was not able to find this proof to fax to me to confirm. what's even funnyer is if i log onto my account it still shows the order being process. if you want this oil i advise you to buy it from a store!

I wouldn't have a problem using this stuff. My guess is that a lot of the used oil that made it into the mix was synthetic. That means the base stocks are probably better than virgin conventional oil.

I'm amused how "virgin" oil, made from crude that's sat in the ground for millions of years and collected all sorts of impurities, is being seen as cleaner than re-refined oil, made from a (relatively) much purer source. I would use re-refined in any car you care to name, so long as it meets the specs the car needs.

I don't think most people here have a problem with recycled oil, it is the price that is putting people off.

Originally Posted By: Vilan
I'm amused how "virgin" oil, made from crude that's sat in the ground for millions of years and collected all sorts of impurities, is being seen as cleaner than re-refined oil, made from a (relatively) much purer source. I would use re-refined in any car you care to name, so long as it meets the specs the car needs.

Originally Posted By: defektes
I wonder how the additive package is.

The hydro-treat process basically distill out all the non base stock, and new additives will be used.

Using used oil as feed stock got to yield better base oil than from dirty crude, no concern for me as long as the price is right and meet API SM. Plus many fleet like police are using them so I think they should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back