Echo Straight Shaft Trimmers

After about 20 years my Echo SRM2400 trimmer is being retired from service. I'm not particularly brand loyal but the Echo served me well. I am looking at the Echo SRM266 and the Echo 2620t. Any thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks in advance.

I certainly see the professional landscaping companies running Echo around here …

I've got an SRM-225 and it has worked well for me this summer, its first summer of real use.

Regret: more power - always more power!

I also have an older Echo that has been moved to my Northern Home. So I need a new one. I'm also thinking of the 26cc unit, and maybe if I can find one with PAS (pro attach series, that can use various tools) I'll get it.

I have had the SRM225 for several years now. Has been completely trouble free. Well, almost....I think I did have to replace a primer bulb a couple years ago.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Google search ?

I did multiple Google searches. Some good information was found. In addition I wanted to hear from the BITOG community and get additional feedback. Isn't that the purpose of forms?

My parents still have a 14 year old GT-210 that's still kicking after some abuse from their tenants. I just replaced the fuel filter, spark plug and regreased the shaft drive. Noticed the recoil rope was sticking out, I was about done rewinding the starter rope with new cord but I noticed a broken spring.

If they had to replace it, the SRM266 would be my choice but for what they do, a Milwaukee M18 Fuel cordless would be better.

I have the ECHO PE-225 from Home Depot. Its is serving me well and came with a 2 year warranty. Only issue is that the handles seem to shift when using and I do not wish to over tighten. Great running and easy start unit.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I also have an older Echo that has been moved to my Northern Home. So I need a new one. I'm also thinking of the 26cc unit, and maybe if I can find one with PAS (pro attach series, that can use various tools) I'll get it.

Just picked up a 26cc, Echo 2620 PAS this morning. Unit runs just fine, and does have more power than it's 21cc brother.

The bottom line is simply more power. It's not heavier and does not vibrate more.

I'm using it to clear an overgrown yard, with a brush blade and a hedge trimmer attachment. The hedge trimmer attachment works considerably better with the additional power. No more getting stuck on larger branches it can't cut.

Alot of guys think the echo srm225 rated at 50 hours won't last like it used to cuz its not rated at 300 hours guys that is emissions not longevity the only reason the srm225 now are rated at 50 hours emissions cuz they have a straight threw muffler and they don't have a catalytic inside like they used to i also have 2 older srm225 rated at 300 hours they have a little less power then the new srm225 rated at 50 hours cuz the new srm225 have a straight threw muffler with no cat and no restrictions but the engines are still the same nothing has changed i have 3 srm225 rated at 50 hours that are used daily 5 and 6 days a week we use them as hedge trimmers cuz of there lightness we have guys doing hedges all day long with them and not one issue and these trimmers are in there 3rd season with us and here in South fla we use the heck out of them none stop all year long.

Originally Posted by Cujet

Just picked up a 26cc, Echo 2620 PAS this morning. Unit runs just fine, and does have more power than it's 21cc brother.

The bottom line is simply more power. It's not heavier and does not vibrate more.

I'm using it to clear an overgrown yard, with a brush blade and a hedge trimmer attachment. The hedge trimmer attachment works considerably better with the additional power. No more getting stuck on larger branches it can't cut.
Echo 2620 is a great unit we have also been very impressed over the years with the srm225 we use them as hedge trimmers cuz there a little under powered as string trimmers in the growing season in the winter months we use them cuz grass ain't as thick but there extremely reliable i have 2 srm225 that are 7 years old we have used the heck out of them and there still going unbelievable i could never get that out of a Stihl 4mix trimmers the most they would last us was 3 years

I have a big man crush on my Echo trimmer.
Cutting in another mountain bike trail the woods. Ran a full tank of gas through it today. Awesome. Get the right line for it. I think I'm using the Echo branded black diamond.

Echo all the way...

-Its the only brand that is still serviced easy, husky / stihl have 15 minutes of plastic to remove just to see the engine.
-Even though they are rated at 50hrs EPA emissisions the engines can certainly last MUCH longer. Especially on trimmers.
-Engine design, and related components are still built to acceptable standards to last. Other brands are getting cheap.
-Huqvarna still has some excellent high end models. But not on their lower tier models.

Back