Looking for lawn edger

Can you use a string trimmer turned up on its edge? If you mow weekly that’s all you should need. That’s all I ever did and that’s what my lawn care company does.
You absolutely can edge with a string trimmer. The learning curve is kind of steep at first and you probably will screw up the straight lines and make the edge too wide. But if you get it down it will be okay. I personally use a stick edger because I'm way quicker with it.

You absolutely can edge with a string trimmer. The learning curve is kind of steep at first and you probably will screw up the straight lines and make the edge too wide. But if you get it down it will be okay. I personally use a stick edger because I'm way quicker with it.

All I’ve ever used is a string trimmer. I can edge as fast as I can walk as long as I do it each time I mow. I agree there’s a bit of a learning curve but once you get it down, it’s easy. The worst you can do is cut some extra grass but it’ll grow back.

^ But don't you also mean, if you edge (nearly) weekly? It also depends on the soil height relative to the concrete height.

In some soil it can depend on the performance of the string trimmer, but in my clay rich soil, using a commercial string trimmer that runs like a scalded dog, it's not penetrating the ground much at all, just uses up a spool of trimmer line in nothing flat to get not much done.

* I may not be trying hard enough... I don't want to edge. It's not the labor (well it's that too) but rather the senselessness of it* :) Different types of lawn grasses might have different needs, as well as the land owner caring how perfectly it's edged. When I mow over an edge area, if the grass is too tall, it gets sucked up and cut off and I don't care if the short remainder leans towards the pavement. Just sayin'...
I do have clay soil here in southern Illinois. String trimmers just kind of make a dent in the dirt and not much else.

Well to continue the adventure, I ended up buying a used Craftsman lawn edger that is a stand alone edger with an old Tecumseh engine. I gave $50 for it, but then had to order a carb for it on Amazon. Hopefully I will have it running soon. I'd like to thank evryone for all of the advice and input, it is truly appreciated :)

I found a used McClane edger on CL about 5 years ago for $90. It has an adjustable head that adjusts between vertical to horizontal for ( in the horizontal configuration it can be used as a brush trimmer ) a nice looking bevel cut if desired and 2 wheels up front. I see them for sale often on CL.
They start at around $500 new and are built much better than what HD or Lowe’s offers. Built like a tank and runs great. I much prefer a dedicated tool over one that does multiple jobs…but does none of them very well.
I have one of those. It has a 2HP 1968 Briggs & Stratton that's been stroked out with a longer connecting rod and converted over to Magnetron ignition. It's probably 3.5HP now.

Stihl stick here. Bought last year been great. I’m good at string trimmer use as well but between that and several 100s of feet of metal fencing it eats up some line

Find the edger works for the heavy edging. Can follow weeks after with string trimmer

Wouldn’t bother with a cordless or electric trimmer for edging though

The saga continues...The carb is shot from what I have been told. The small engine shops said around $200+ to repair on top of the $50 paid, thr $45 diagnostic fee. This would bring the total to around $300 which is the cost of a new edger. My question now is do I cut my losses and buy a new one, or do I try an engine swap and remove the old 4HP Craftsman/Tecumseh and find a donor engine from an old lawn mower

Last edited:
I use the EGO Edger with the EGO Powerhead, which allows you to change-out different attachments (i.e., line trimmer, pole saw, compact single-stage snow thrower).

https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-MULTI-HEAD-EDGER-KIT/5000241721

I use the edger w/2.5A battery along the driveway, sidewalks, and mulched landscape beds. Leaves a clean line, and I can do the entire front yard in 15 minutes. It does have a built-in height adjustment.

I just recently changed the steel blade after 2 years of use. It trenches/edges like new again.

I have a Poulan Pro pole saw with a pp1000 edger attachment that worked great the one time I've used it. I've been able to maintain the look for the rest of mowing season with a string trimmer.

Back