Which do you prefer? Straight or Curve Shaft trimmers

I have both but I prefer the curve shaft because ease of use because it has angle. I use the straight for edging but I can still do the same on the curve shaft as well. The curve trimmer is definitely my favorite.

20230609_163541.jpg

the curve shaft straight shaft question is proceeded by another in that it what do you want a shaft or cable driven trimmer ?

A curved shaft trimmer, runs a cable to drive the head which pretty much precludes running a blade if you want it to live.

A straight shaft trimmer can use a shaft and works well with a blade.

Doesn't it depend on comfort ? I think a tall person would prefer a curve shaft and vice versa
It is actually the opposite...tall people prefer the significantly longer shaft and reach of the straight shaft trimmer so they don't have to stoop to trim. The other key issue is whether you can get comfortable with the reverse (counter-clockwise) rotation of the straight shaft because of the gearbox head. Most right handed people feel it is more natural to follow the cutting direction/angle of the curved shaft where you tilt the trimmer to cut with the front-left side of the head. With the straight shaft trimmer, you need to lead with the front-right side of the head to prevent throwing rocks and debris towards your body. Professional landscapers have been known to either cut while walking backwards ("moonwalking") or train themselves to control the throttle with their left hand so the right hand can control the tilt angle with their right hand on the front loop handle.

It is actually the opposite...tall people prefer the significantly longer shaft and reach of the straight shaft trimmer so they don't have to stoop to trim. The other key issue is whether you can get comfortable with the reverse (counter-clockwise) rotation of the straight shaft because of the gearbox head. Most right handed people feel it is more natural to follow the cutting direction/angle of the curved shaft where you tilt the trimmer to cut with the front-left side of the head. With the straight shaft trimmer, you need to lead with the front-right side of the head to prevent throwing rocks and debris towards your body. Professional landscapers have been known to either cut while walking backwards ("moonwalking") or train themselves to control the throttle with their left hand so the right hand can control the tilt angle with their right hand on the front loop handle.
100 % correct.

Have only ever used the straight ones. I'm left handed. They work just fine. Current one has bicycle handlebars.

The biggest problem with using a trimmer left handed is the muffler is against my body. I also end up going the wrong way into the grass so it throws debris at me, but that's purely from not thinking.

Same, left handed and much prefer straight shaft. The ones I’ve used seem to have better power and spool up quicker than the curved ones

Curved is way faster for light duty trimming around the lawn and house IMO. With a nice light little trimmer with some thin cord you can trim around all sort of odd shaped stuff fast and from one angle and not destroy bark or siding easily. Straight shaft is better for heavier clearing jobs, and then can use plastic or metal blades.

Back