EBC Caliper Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the ketchup packet of Caliper Lube that comes with EBC brake pads any good? Even if it is good I don't think that it looks like there's enough to do a full axle...

...or does anybody know who makes it? Is it just re-branded for EBC?

You should need very little. But i've always had best luck with straight up silicone grease/paste on slide pins. Thick dielectric grease will work too. (In fact, Ford's dielectric grease is also their caliper grease) The non-silicone brake greases tend to separate/run imo.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KingCake
Thick dielectric grease will work too. (In fact, Ford's dielectric grease is also their caliper grease)

Thanks! Good to know as these are actually FoMoCo breaks on a Mazda CX-9, the same as the Edge and a few other makes/models.

Putting "Sedan" brakes on a SUV/Crossover was a bad idea, IMO.

The included lube is for the mounting bracket slides, pad shims and pad ears. It is NOT to be used for the slide pins.

Slide pins just like a high temp synthetic grease or whatever does not swell the boots or the insulator as wheel bearing grease does. Rubber grease melts to easy so it's not very good in caliper applications.

Originally Posted By: Rdyno
Slide pins just like a high temp synthetic grease or whatever does not swell the boots or the insulator as wheel bearing grease does. Rubber grease melts to easy so it's not very good in caliper applications.

I bought some silicon grease in Japan, (Well, "brak-u-gris-u",anyway, which may be close enough) , but IIRC the temperature range on the packaging (which I've lost) didn't go very high (130C?), so it may have been dielectric grease. Last caliper I did I "beefed it up" a bit by wrapping the pins and the bushings in PTFE thread sealant tape as well as greasing them. This may displace but it shouldn't melt.

Got a small tube of (red) rubber grease (which is what Daihatsu say to use) but havn't tried it yet.

Got a couple of sachets of Bendix Ceramlube (which is allegedly the acme of brake greases) in Australia, but it somehow got lost in transit.

None of these are, AFAIK, available in Taiwan.

Last edited:
According to the GF's iPhone translation app, that Japanese silicon grease was for Cormorant-fishing. Specifically for lubricating the neck rings that stop the birds swallowing the fish.

Aint smartphones great? I couldn't have made that up!

Might have "gained in translation" a bit, but still probably close enough. If its good enough for cormorants, its probably good enough for calipers.

I have had a tube of the EBC Caliper lube for about 4 years. The Santa Fe had to have the parking brake adjusted at about 40K. Since the rear wheels were off, I cleaned and re-lubed sliders, ears and pins with the EBC. Well, last weekend I changed the rear pads and everything looked fine. Pins were still lubricated (car has almost 100K now.). No issues with brakes, old pads still had a little more life left, but changed them out. For me, this lube seems to be fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
The included lube is for the mounting bracket slides, pad shims and pad ears. It is NOT to be used for the slide pins.

+1 I use the NAPA sil glyde for the pins. Anything connecting the pad to the caliper you can use the EBC stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back