eBay Lost Item

JHZR2

Staff member
I bought a w124 fader switch new off of ebay. It was sent via DHL (?) and the US Mail. USPS claims it was delivered.

I never got it. I got my mail, I got a box from FedEx. Package theft isnt a thing around here (knocking on wood), stuff gets left on peoples' steps for days when away and its there safely. It was a tiny item, so I doubt it was a substantially sized box or bag.

I notified eBay. They said to wait. I waited. I asked for assistance with the vendor and ebay. EBay made the determination that since USPS claimed that it was delivered, then it was, and I had no recorse or chance for refund.

I still dont have the item.

I have reached out to the seller again. I assume they have insurance and can open a claim. its not fair for them to eat it, but it also isnt fair for me to eat it (the item was around $50), just because USPS lost or stole it.

What's my next best step? I paid via paypal. I would assume I can take it up with PayPal, or with my CC that I used to pay.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Any houses on adjacent streets that have the same house number as your house? If so, then it's pretty common for USPS to deliver to the wrong house. Happens in my neighborhood all the time ... the mail delivery people don't know what street they are on, lol.

Last edited:
You can open a case on eBay and wait for seller to reply within 3 days to find a resolution or you can choose to escalate it to ebay if needed. eBay almost always sides with buyer. Could also open a case on paypal for a resolution.

You can open a case on eBay and wait for seller to reply within 3 days to find a resolution or you can choose to escalate it to ebay if needed. eBay almost always sides with buyer. Could also open a case on paypal for a resolution.
I did that already. EBay claims that since there was tracking that shows it delivered, then there is no grounds to give me a refund.

Any houses on adjacent streets that have the same house number as your house? If so, then it's pretty common for USPS to deliver to the wrong house. Happens in my neighborhood all the time ... the mail delivery people don't know what street they are on, lol.

There is another small town next to us that shares the zip code, and has a street of the same name, but that is an avenue instead of what mine is.

Once or twice we have gotten each others mail, and delivered it to the other person, a mile or so away. No luck for this item...

I find with ebay and paypal persistence pays off. Keep saying, in a nice way, that their result is unacceptable. Continue to ask for a supervisor when someone says no. Point them to all your positive feedback, you don't have a history of claiming this. When they find out you won't go away, they rule in your favor, as they should.

At least that has been my experience.

What makes it hard in a case like this where the USPS tracking says it was delivered, is eBay could say that it could have been stolen if it wasn't delivered to a locking mailbox, or that it was misdelivered and someone just kept it. eBay may say go after USPS.

That's why I like it when the carrier sends the pictures of the box at your front door. Thank goodness I've always see MY porch in the picture!

Might want to install a Ring door bell camera or a surveillance system for the future for peace of mind.

My UPS/USPS/FEDEX all leave packages on my front porch it they won't fit in the mail slot. Smaller/lighter packages end up in my bushes on windy days, if it weren't for my bushes I wonder how many would have went missing.
This is how I got to know the guy a block north of me, I can't tell you the times in 33 years we have received each others mail.

eBay didn't lose it, the Post Office likely did. I've had tons of items that were "delivered" by USPS only to have them end up in a warehouse somewhere, gone forever. eBay can really only do so much since it is in the hands of USPS, so all they can do is just claim it has been delivered. I'm not siding with eBay, but I can see why they say that. Usually eBay is useless in situations like this, and you have to contact the seller directly. Even then, sometimes you never get a response, and the only option is sometimes just leaving bad feedback.

I have had stuff that was “delivered” by the USPS show up the next day or so. Strange things happen on that end and it depends on your mail carrier.

Did they provide the correct tracking number? You may have to visit the Post Office to have them initiate a search for it but I think only the sender can do that. Typically you have to reach out to the sender who then contacts the shipping company and then it goes from there. The USPS is using those new scanners now and they have gps so they should be able to track the package where the mail carrier had scanned it last.

However you may be out of luck on eBay as it's showed as being delivered, I've read lots of stories where eBay won't budge, at one time they used to side more with the buyers but anymore it seems they are slowly shifting away from that.

I did that already. EBay claims that since there was tracking that shows it delivered, then there is no grounds to give me a refund.

There is another small town next to us that shares the zip code, and has a street of the same name, but that is an avenue instead of what mine is.

Once or twice we have gotten each others mail, and delivered it to the other person, a mile or so away. No luck for this item...

That sucks.

If it was Amazon you'd have a credit by now.

That sucks.

If it was Amazon you'd have a credit by now.
True, but even Amazon is sometimes a pain to deal with if the package isn't delivered but claims to be, especially if it is a 3rd party seller. You have to weed through a bunch of automated responses before actually being able to contact someone, I'm sure they set it up that way intentionally.

I prefer dealing with Amazon, but for some things (especially used or hard to find parts) ebay is pretty much the only way.

If the OP paid through Paypal it might be worth filing a dispute with them, or even your credit card. It's a major PITA, but usually yields results.

Back