E3 spark plugs any good?

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Do a search for E3.

No results for that

I want to change them because my gas milage has taken a little bit of a hit lately and the guys on elementownersclub seem to think that e3's give you better mpg and the stock plugs should be changed around 70k or so.

went to baxter auto parts yesterday and asked the guy at the counter about it he told me that he wont sell e3 (eventhough they sell them) because he had a friend use them in his tj and he claimes they burned holes in his pistons. While I'm pretty sure that dident happen I figured why take the risk. So I went to another auto parts store that sold ngk and bought the correct plugs. Asked the guy at the counter about e3 and he said that he wouldent sell them (even though they dont sell them) and proceded to tell me he had worked at baxter auto parts and told me the exact same story almost verbadem!!! I honestly dont believe a word of it. I think its just local myth but I got the ngk IR anyways since its what comes in the car. It kind of makes me mad that I'm not gutsy enough to just ignore the local myths and buy the e3's. I'm sure they wouldent destroy my car but when I dont buy them it almost lumps me in with the idiots that go around telling stories about their friends, brothers, sister.

E3 plugs are [censored]. Tried them, gimmicky and were not even platinum so they are actually a step backwards for most cars today and not what the manufacturers recommend. Had a friend bring her 2002 ram air trans am to me for a tune-up with these plugs. Installed them and then got random misfires in all cylinders. Changed them out and problem gone. Nothing changed except the plugs.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Originally Posted By: Donald
Go for NGK.

+1, NGK iridiums are awesome.

Just put a set of those in my Softail and yes, they are nice. I don't feel a power increase (wouldn't expect that from just plugs) but the bike does start quicker and idle smoother. The old plugs were Harley Platinum with about 6,000 miles on them. I plant to run the iridiums forever.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: panthermike
Originally Posted By: Donald
Go for NGK.

+1, NGK iridiums are awesome.

Just put a set of those in my Softail and yes, they are nice. I don't feel a power increase (wouldn't expect that from just plugs) but the bike does start quicker and idle smoother. The old plugs were Harley Platinum with about 6,000 miles on them. I plant to run the iridiums forever.

My Mark VIII is on the original platinum plugs with 86K on them, but I plan to switch to the NGK's soon and will leave them in for 85-100K miles.

What's the recommended interval for plugs on your Harley?

well put in the NGK IR's yesterday and the car seems to idle the same, maybe a little bit smoother. I do feel a differance in driving. It seems to have a little more power, and run smoother when driving but it might just be in my head with the smoother. Definatly a little more power though. The plugs dident look near as bad as the people on elementownersclub who have posted the picks of their plugs at around the same milage. The ceramic was really burnt around the bottom but the plug its self was a dusty tan and gray color.

+1 for old B&S mower application. I had good luck with 1 in my very old 3.75 HP B&S MTD mower. It started good, ran good, and used slightly less fuel. I'm sure it also added .0000001 HP :).

I've always read they were "snakeoil" in auto applications, but do not know of any first-hand experiences with them.

Originally Posted By: ryland
well put in the NGK IR's yesterday and the car seems to idle the same, maybe a little bit smoother. I do feel a differance in driving. It seems to have a little more power, and run smoother when driving but it might just be in my head with the smoother. Definatly a little more power though. The plugs dident look near as bad as the people on elementownersclub who have posted the picks of their plugs at around the same milage. The ceramic was really burnt around the bottom but the plug its self was a dusty tan and gray color.

Glad you like them, you shouldn't have to worry about replacing them for a good long time.

Yes, I am aware that this thread is 12 years old. But wonder if the E3 plugs are any better yet, or are NGK still the preferred ones?
New to me 2008 Honda Fit, with manual transmission, is the car in question, new to me 2 days ago. My first car, so I'm very excited about it.

Back