E15 : List of vehicles that accept it

We use E15 with no issues. Living on the coast we have ethanol free fuel available at most gas stations. I use that for my lawn equipment.

On a 700 mile trip last summer I did 1 fill up in PA at Sheetz with E15, in 2020 Equinox 1.5t. I got the best gas mileage on the trip, the car was I thought extremely quiet and smooth. I wish I lived near a station that had E15 I would use it all the time.

My work vehicle is a 2021 broncos sport and it says right in the owner's manual that it can use E15. It has the 1.5 ecoboost engine in it and I might prefer to use E15 just because it is higher octane and ethanol tends to be turbo friendly.

Never seen E15 anywhere around here. I do use E85 in my Navigator if it is 26 or more cents cheaper than RUG, but it almost never is anymore.

Looked at my 2005 Tacoma OM and it says "up to 10% ethonal". If they go 15% here it will most likely be virtually all gas stations. Won't be happy if I'm forced to use E15 and it caused fuel system issues. :mad:

Last edited:
Virtually every car since 2001 has been able to run E15 (It's all there is in California) . Now E85 is a different situation.
Except most of mine.

Six of them specifically state that while ethanol may be used, do not exceed 10% ethanol content

The Tundra is flex fuel. No worries there. But the other six modern cars are not able to use E15.

Blanket “virtually every” statements like this are inaccurate.

I think he may be saying that most all vehicles are programmed rich enough from the factory that the additional 1.5-2% leaner E15 would be over E10 would likely still be within safe limits, especially if you never see WOT. It's also within the range the narrowband could correct for.

OEMs program cars on the rich side because it reduces NOx emissions which is annoying to me. With my Focus, I picked up 5 mpg on the highway by deleting the emissions mess, putting a better exhaust on it, and tuning it to a more appropriate AFR.

Last edited:
I'm wondering exactly what ill effects are supposed to result to the vehicle from reducing gasoline/ETOH ratio from 90% to 85%. Any fuel system components that resist E10 should also be fine with E15. And ETOH increases knock resistance, so it shouldn't cause knock. I suppose the engine management might not be able to retard timing enough, resulting in incomplete combustion... damaging the catalyst maybe??

Seeing as so many here are willing to run thinner, thicker, non-owners-manual-approved engine oils, diff lube, etc. I get that we can argue over this.

So, what exactly is E15's ill effect on the vehicle itself is supposed to be?

Pretty useless list as all cars that use 87 octane will run fine on E15, at worst you might lose a bit fuel economy. Cars not on the list are mostly made before E15 was a thing so don't go looking in the owners manual for whether your 87 Crown Vic can run on E15.

I'm wondering exactly what ill effects are supposed to result to the vehicle from reducing gasoline/ETOH ratio from 90% to 85%. Any fuel system components that resist E10 should also be fine with E15.

So, what exactly is E15's ill effect on the vehicle itself is supposed to be?

Is that really true? I was under the impression that car manufactures stated the 10% maximum due to materials compatibility.

But the 10% maximum may also stem from the time period (early to mid 2000s) when they stated the 10% maximum because that was most likely the max ethanol blend back in those days - ?.

Is that really true? I was under the impression that car manufactures stated the 10% maximum due to materials compatibility.

But the 10% maximum may also stem from the time period (early to mid 2000s) when they stated the 10% maximum because that was most likely the max ethanol blend back in those days - ?.

It's probably all they tested for. And they have no idea what happens when you use more than 10%. Their lawyers probably advised them to tell you not to ever use more than a 10% blend.

Purely anecdotal but, my 2007 Nissan ran on E15 88 without incident. It was only a tankful mind you, but it clearly states in the OM that a 10% of oxygenates is the maximum allowed.

2018 WRX, owner's manual states not to exceed 10% ethanol, and gives E15 as an example of something to avoid:

1650522370676.jpg

My lease 2021 Mazda CX-5 (49–state emissions) says explicitly in the owner's manual not to use any gasoline blend with more than 10% ethanol. So E15 is out. Many stations here carry E15 now in addition to E10.

The manual warns that any damage caused by running blends higher than E10 will not be covered by warranty. You have to assume Mazda means it. I wouldn't experiment with E15 even once.

The manual also warns not to use blends with any methanol.

As others here say, don't rely on lists or blanket statements online about what your vehicle "should" be okay with. Check the owner's manual. You might be surprised!

I find it interesting that there are still manufacturers in at least 2021 model years selling cars that can't handle a fuel that EPA deemed legal to use in 2012.

On the other hand, Fords have been capable since the 2013 model year per their owners manuals...

I find it interesting that there are still manufacturers in at least 2021 model years selling cars that can't handle a fuel that EPA deemed legal to use in 2012.

On the other hand, Fords have been capable since the 2013 model year per their owners manuals...
You could look at it this way: diesel fuel is legal to use per the EPA. That doesn't mean you should run it in a new car with a gasoline engine.

Back