E-Bikes

Been shopping E bikes,,,mail order is around 900 bucks,,,Cannondales basic e=Bike,,,2300 dollars at a bike shop,,,,any thoughts?

What is the goal? To extend one's range while on a bicycle, or to otherwise tackle hills that would be beyond grasp? A low noise way to motor around in summer, for when you don't want to pedal but you don't want to drive a large car either?

I'm not sure how good the mail order ones are. If you are handy, it might be good--what are the reviews like? Once thing about buying from a shop is the support. Anything goes wrong, they should be able to fix it for you, quickly and easily.

I’m interested as well. Rented them in Door County, WI and had fun riding all over. Considered buying some for use when in Florida but may wait on prices to come down.

Honestly I think I would only look at a Specialized the wife owns one 60mile range flats 40 to 50 if climbing hills. With that said it is a blast and it's only way we can ride together. Bike was built before limited top speed it will do 28mph she can pace me at mt 21mph just hitting slight incline or 12% grade it just keeps going like a mini bike its awesome but it is the best battery technology that's why I reccomend it.

Some folks in the biking groups ,,said they pedal when they want to and when tired or pulling hills will use the electric side. Its the best of both worlds and can extend your riding enjoyment as you get older,,,

I'm an avid biker and lean against them. Call me old school or purist. And yes I get the premise and the positives. I'm writing this as a guy who recently retired and has a workers comp approval for a full knee replacement. I strongly feel if you can pump a bike under your own power that's how it should be. But to each his own and if you are looking I would not go with Cannondale or even the big guy Specialized. They often tout new technology which is great but the support of that technology later down the road is often not present. I should say, at least in the non electric motorized field.

I have a solid trust in Santa Cruz and Trek. If I were to go electric-assist these are the 2 I'd look to first.

For
I picked this one up last year, very happy with it. This thing scoots! You can use it as a normal bike, added e assist when you pedal or completely powered by the motor. For the most part I use it as a normal bike, but I get nervous in traffic situations with motor vehicles and it helps me get up to speed quickly and out of the way of cars.

I looked at your bike and for 700 dollars vs 2300 plus at bike shops, I might try one off Amazon thinks for your write up..

Been shopping E bikes,,,mail order is around 900 bucks,,,Cannondales basic e=Bike,,,2300 dollars at a bike shop,,,,any thoughts?
I think the big difference is going to be the integration of the motor and how it's controlled (though the name brand probably has better parts on it too).
Some of the cheaper Chinese E-bikes are throttle controlled only and likely have hub-motors. A more expensive e-bike with an integrated motor at the bottom bracket is going to have better weight distribution (important if you're riding off-road) and will offer assist where the power you put into the pedals is multiplied by a certain percentage (based on the mode you select) instead of controlled by a throttle.

To a certain extent, I share the same opinion as @BISCUT but I can certainly see the need for one if you have health problems that prevent you from riding a normal bike. I think for things like cargo bikes (and in some cases commuting) they fill a niche that no-one knew existed until they came along and they make a lot of sense.

The frustration when you get passed by someone riding one, try to do the old cat-6 race thing. and can't keep up (due to a deficit of a few hundred ill-gained watts) is a bit frustrating, especially when the person passing you seems to feel superior due to their extra speed. I think that feeling goes a long way towards the negative attitude many cyclists have towards them.

As a avid road biker I have no reason to put shame or care less what the next guy or girl is doing on their bike. I care less what the guy next to me is doing on strava or what ever app is out their I ride for myself period. If a E bike keeps someone in the game great. Many elderly or couples who want to ride together can with this option. I think its pathetic if someone shames someone cause they have the belief ohhh it's not fair get over yourself I see and hear it in many groups it disgusts me.
I still highly recommend the Specialized and probably the only one I look at.

As a avid road biker I have no reason to put shame or care less what the next guy or girl is doing on their bike. I care less what the guy next to me is doing on strava or what ever app is out their I ride for myself period. If a E bike keeps someone in the game great. Many elderly or couples who want to ride together can with this option. I think its pathetic if someone shames someone cause they have the belief ohhh it's not fair get over yourself I see and hear it in many groups it disgusts me.
I still highly recommend the Specialized and probably the only one I look at.

Maybe I missed the "shame?" in this thread. I'm glad you ride "for yourself." I ride for me as well. I ride road and I ride a lot of trails. Your view seems to be egocentric. There are a lot of variables present here that need to accounted for. E bikes open doors for lawsuits that could/will forever change access and trial profiles for that matter. Especially on the government-owned properties. Thus forcing us to ride more on commercial $$$$ properties. Those that would jump on the flaming and accusations please understand I write this as a man who is in need of a full knee replacement.

Because of my knee (even after replacement) I will not be able to achieve some of my life dreams of climbing certain mountains solo. It hurts deeply in my soul. But that doesn't mean I should encumber someone else without my issues in their endeavors. If you can overcome your limitation(s) (we all have them) in life then more power to you. I caution against the I was born a male and weigh 200lbs but identify as a female therefore I can compete in a female sports arena. Reasonableness is needed or we all lose.

I found a pic of the bikes we rented, Trek Verve , possibly a 2.
145FA278-4E48-45DC-A81F-6108C897F6F7.jpeg

It is my only e-bike experience but I was very impressed with the range and how seamless the drive motor was. We rode 30 miles of hilly country roads and some trails and neither of us had ridden much recently and would’ve been dead tired if we were on regular bikes. Instead it was an enjoyable time and I still had plenty of battery left at 225 lbs. Next time I’ll use more assist or if I have a great year may buy an e-mountain bike.

For

I looked at your bike and for 700 dollars vs 2300 plus at bike shops, I might try one off Amazon thinks for your write up..

I built it myself, it was very easy to put together. Took off the goofy plastic fenders. I had trouble adjusting the brakes, so I rode it for 50 miles and then took it to a local bike shop for a tune-up, they got things dialed in for $100. I also purchased the extended warranty (not something I typically buy) but it was $42 and considering the amount of electronics I figured it was worth it.

Mercy sakes folks,,,pretend your a kid again and get over yourself and just ride,,,adults really mess things up,,,way to adulty imho..now that said, turn on your 12year old switch between your ears and have fun.......................

The neighbour kid rides his E bike like it was a motorcycle on flat ground. Never pedals. Reminds me of a Barbi car.

Having said that, they E bikes are popular for bike commuters riding west after work in downtown Calgary. It’s up-hill and against the prevailing wind. No shame in giving it a bit of juice on the way home after a tough day. :)

Last edited:
7,500 miles on my Pedego. I wouldn't buy one without a hand throttle. Have fun.

Back