Apartment dweller where it rains a lot - belt drive?

I live in an apartment, so cleaning a bike chain is a huge pain. Secondly I live in Florida where it rains daily all summer long. I’d like to bike to work, but the hassle of a dirty bike chain is somewhat daunting, so I have been looking at getting a Pioneer folding bike with a belt drive. They recently released this model for $800 with a shimano nexus 7 IGH. I have never owned IGHs - can they last 10,000 miles or so? Are they a huge pain to repair or replace?

I mainly want a belt drive so I don’t have to deal with a dirty chain. Does my circumstance sound ideal for this bike model? What are your thoughts?

The trade-off is lower mechanical efficiency than chain+derailleur system, versus lower maintenance. I don't know how durable those hubs are.

My antique Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hub has about 20k miles and still works.

Nexus 7 IGH should easily last 10k miles.

Another option besides belt drive is a closed chain guard like I have
Closer chain guard sounds neat. I’ve always wondered why those are not popular. Do they only work for single speeds?

Are you talking about a Priority folding bike? Can't find a Pioneer folder that isn't an e-bike and nothing for $800.

The small tire bikes pedal a bit harder than normal size wheels and the hub isn't as efficient as already mentioned. How far is your commute? Priority is all in on belt drive and have a couple of other models that may work.

You could also try a different chain lube. Rock n Roll has an interesting lube.

The trade-off is lower mechanical efficiency than chain+derailleur system, versus lower maintenance. I don't know how durable those hubs are.

My antique Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hub has about 20k miles and still works.

thing is that in rainy environment, chain + derailleur needs constant care or the efficiency drops below IGH.

8 speed shimano hubs seem to be more efficient than 7 speed though

Because I ride my bike in a sandy environment that is also moist from a salty ocean breeze I have a bike with an IGH. Specifically, it's a Shimano Nexus 8. Durability is not an issue with a bike driven on mostly roads or light trail. I would not put an IGH on a proper mountain bike. Efficiency is no issue unless you ride competitively with shaved legs. 5th gear is direct drive and has the least friction losses on my 8-speed. Clean cogs, chainrings, and derailleurs are more efficient than an IGH but dirty ones are not. An IGH is essentially maintenance-free until it needs a rebuild. The only regular maintenance is adjustment of the shifter cable length which is easily accomplished via colored indexing marks. The Nexus IGH comes in two grades, one has better bearings and seals. If you want to spend more money on a better hub, Rohloff is as good as it gets. Other options include bikes with a transmission in the bottom bracket. That gets expensive but you can do gear oil changes and these transmissions last and last.

Belt drive is great. You may be able to mate belt drive to a Nexus IGH. Long service, life, no maintenance, runs clean. A bit pricey initially. My next bike will have IGH and belt drive. Right now I'm still using a chain.

Closer chain guard sounds neat. I’ve always wondered why those are not popular. Do they only work for single speeds?
They were and probably still are popular on Holland bikes. Disadvantages: you can't easily get to the chain if it jumps off the chainring, you can't use it with a derailleur, and you can't even see the state of the chain.

They were and probably still are popular on Holland bikes. Disadvantages: you can't easily get to the chain if it jumps off the chainring, you can't use it with a derailleur, and you can't even see the state of the chain.
And if you need to remove and replace the wheel to change tire or repair a flat?

And if you need to remove and replace the wheel to change tire or repair a flat?
I won't have a spare wheel with me so it won't matter if it's going to take more time at home. Repairing a flat in the field will take a little longer. As far as the IGH goes, wheel removal and installation are marginally more time-intensive.

Last edited:
A Gates belt and Nexus hub are ideal for your situation. I’m not crazy about small wheeled folding bikes but maybe. If possible look for a full sized wheel.

I would love to convert my bike with the Nexus 8 to belt drive. Unfortunately, bikes with belt drives require a split seat stay to allow the removal and installation of the continuous belt. There are however split belts like the Veer but I haven't looked deeper into that. I think the cost would be under $600 for the required parts.

Last edited:
I live in an apartment, so cleaning a bike chain is a huge pain. Secondly I live in Florida where it rains daily all summer long. I’d like to bike to work, but the hassle of a dirty bike chain is somewhat daunting, so I have been looking at getting a Pioneer folding bike with a belt drive. They recently released this model for $800 with a shimano nexus 7 IGH. I have never owned IGHs - can they last 10,000 miles or so? Are they a huge pain to repair or replace?

I mainly want a belt drive so I don’t have to deal with a dirty chain. Does my circumstance sound ideal for this bike model? What are your thoughts?
Have you looked into a chain lube/cleaner setup? From my understanding years ago there were kits to lube / clean the chain as you rode.

Use something like Boeshield T9 (or my favorite, Liquid Wrench chain and cable lube). Minimal gunk, maximal life.

Use something like Boeshield T9 (or my favorite, Liquid Wrench chain and cable lube). Minimal gunk, maximal life.
That’s what I use, but even then, after every wet ride, the chain gets a noticeable shade darker from grit dirt and grime layering on the chain. It bothers me.

Back