Bought my first commercial e-bike today

Why the plastic pins? I've found with the new thinner pedals and more aggressive pins I get way less shin strikes, and no bad ones at all in the last few years. I have a pair of OneUp now that don't slip to often...
oneup pedal.jpg

I have some questions.

1) How do I lock out the rear shock? Front too? Maybe I'm spoiled by my Foxx shocks. Or at least make it much firmer? The Rockshox included papers are not specific. Their site not much help.

I looked at close up photos and I don't see a lockout. I have Rockshox but the lockout is pretty obvious.

1695299346845.png

It’s what they had in the shop. No other reason.

You might want to consider better pedals on a bike that nice. I'm using Crank Brothers Stamp 7 pedals.

1695299422305.png

I looked at close up photos and I don't see a lockout. I have Rockshox but the lockout is pretty obvious.

You might want to consider better pedals on a bike that nice. I'm using Crank Brothers Stamp 7 pedals.
My HP pump and gauge arrived yesterday. Will air up with minimal sag and see how it is, my son in law says lock outs are for old men. Hahahahaha

I have Crank Bros on my Carbon Stumpy, yeah they are nice. I will see how these do. I really don't see as big of problem, especially on an ebike.

It would be interesting for you to try a bike like Pablo''s on some single track trails. The off road performance is what the cost difference pays for. His bike is probably ~$3k with no motor at all. So if you don't have the skills or inclination to go ride mountain bike trails with some pace, it is a bit of a waste to get one built for that.
Your bike is maybe even a better bike for exploring on back roads and easy trails, but isn't the right bike for Pablo's riding.

Last edited:
@Bob in Podunk Utah Why the heck are you posting the same picture again? Really not the subject of this thread??? Odd.

Aired up the shocks today, set the sag, but wow are the recommendations super firm. I guess they are just starting points. Rock hard 20-30 psi less than recommended for 20% sag for a 172 pound person. Not a problem. Feels great.

For something so heavy it feels really light and handles great. MTB setting is insane. Turbo mode is darn right dangerous and I used to ride a 3000 watt throttle bike! Hahaha too much fun!!

@Bob in Podunk Utah Why the heck are you posting the same picture again? Really not the subject of this thread??? Odd.

Aired up the shocks today, set the sag, but wow are the recommendations super firm. I guess they are just starting points. Rock hard 20-30 psi less than recommended for 20% sag for a 172 pound person. Not a problem. Feels great.

For something so heavy it feels really light and handles great. MTB setting is insane. Turbo mode is darn right dangerous and I used to ride a 3000 watt throttle bike! Hahaha too much fun!!
There are a couple single track mtb/dirtbike trails in our local system that I thought an ebike would make more fun as they have a few climbing sections that steep enough that are a 50/50 chance of me making them. I see the cranks are 160mm too, which sounds like a good idea to avoid pedal strikes on a heavier bike.
I can see myself getting an ebike eventually, just to rip around the local single track, and enjoy the winding up hills as well.

Did my first longish ride around 20 miles

In eco mode, range ~90 miles per the display. Battery in now at 85% or so, starting at 95%. Gotta love that.

Streets, gravel, rock, mud - with ease. Didn't need or use Turbo. Mostly eco and touring+ mode. I think because bike is a mullet with weight low down, handles really well.

Anyway I'm pleased. Nothing seemed to come loose but will check fasteners.

Been doing long rides 2-3 times per week.

Shifting is fine now. No problem with plastic peg pedals.

Range is absolutely marvelous in Eco mode. On Sunday we rode for hours, I think I went from 92% down to 87% in 20 miles or so. Hilly and some fun trails. In other modes, Tour+ good balance of assist and range. eMTB tons of assist, and Turbo just burns the battery like 10% hunks really quick, but the assist is scary strong.

Wife got absolutely pissed and rightly so when I left her behind once - but I had to RIDE. She has more of an etownie and no confidence, but I love riding with her.

A couple things.

The shock and forks seem to get better with use, some kind of break in process. The Foxx on my Stumpy carbon are just stable, no change over time for over two years.

And lastly, if you have a bike pushing 50 pounds you need TWO full handfuls of BRAKES. Seriously, takes much more operator attention. With my carbon I could be a little careless and forgiving - not needing to plan downhill stops. With the eMTB, you shall know. Or else.

Been doing long rides 2-3 times per week.

Shifting is fine now. No problem with plastic peg pedals.

Range is absolutely marvelous in Eco mode. On Sunday we rode for hours, I think I went from 92% down to 87% in 20 miles or so. Hilly and some fun trails. In other modes, Tour+ good balance of assist and range. eMTB tons of assist, and Turbo just burns the battery like 10% hunks really quick, but the assist is scary strong.

Wife got absolutely pissed and rightly so when I left her behind once - but I had to RIDE. She has more of an etownie and no confidence, but I love riding with her.

A couple things.

The shock and forks seem to get better with use, some kind of break in process. The Foxx on my Stumpy carbon are just stable, no change over time for over two years.

And lastly, if you have a bike pushing 50 pounds you need TWO full handfuls of BRAKES. Seriously, takes much more operator attention. With my carbon I could be a little careless and forgiving - not needing to plan downhill stops. With the eMTB, you shall know. Or else.

My e-bike weighs 22 kgs or 48 ish pounds. It stops like a non e-bike. I would think the difference is likely the brale pads. I'm 210 pounds myself btw and have a 10 pound backpack

My e-bike weighs 22 kgs or 48 ish pounds. It stops like a non e-bike. I would think the difference is likely the brale pads. I'm 210 pounds myself btw and have a 10 pound backpack
Brale pads? Typo??

I assume you mean brake pads. It could be improved with new pads, true enough.

But simple physics says yes, it's going to take more energy to stop that 50 extra pounds. Gotta be larger rotors, better pads, more force

Yeah yeah yeah the idiot who used to sell maniacal 3000W mid motor strap ons bought a brand new Cannondale e-bike.

Had the cash sloshing around in my Paypal account, so naturally I used the Paypal card! Wife will never know. Wait I told her.

She got a Cannondale ebike from REI a couple weeks back. I looked at other brands but smalls all had 29" wheels. I don't want a 29" wheel bike!

I'll get to pick it up after we get back from Alaska.
You don’t even get a controller screen for that money. Let us know how you like that front motor. I’ve only had rear Bafang motors.

Yeah yeah yeah the idiot who used to sell maniacal 3000W mid motor strap ons bought a brand new Cannondale e-bike.

Had the cash sloshing around in my Paypal account, so naturally I used the Paypal card! Wife will never know. Wait I told her.

She got a Cannondale ebike from REI a couple weeks back. I looked at other brands but smalls all had 29" wheels. I don't want a 29" wheel bike!

I'll get to pick it up after we get back from Alaska.
It’s $4500 right now.

Back