Duramax LML filter choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning on doing my oil change for my Duramax LML this weekend, so looking at locally available filters. Last year, I used a Denso First Time Fit ordered through RockAuto. It won't be here in time for when I want to do the oil change if I ordered another now.

Oil will be Rotella T6 5W-40, and OCI according to OLM, or 1 year, whichever I hit first. (This coincided exactly last year to the truck going into winter "hibernation").

I have to chose from Fram ExtraGuard PH9100, which I understand to be the current incarnation of the OCOD. Quaker State QS9100, which I understand is Purolator. Hearing lots of "tearolator" posts here. Some Wix choices (which I now understand is M+H, which Purolator is also part of). A couple of others as well.

Here's the list and price. Looking for comments on what to pick, and why.

- Quaker State QS9100 $6.96 (sale)
- Fram Extra Guard PH9100 $10.18
- Napa Platinum 47202 $15.83
- Fram Ultra Synthetic XG9100 $16.99
- K&N Performance Gold HP3003 $17.99
- Mobil 1 Extended Performance $19.99
- AC Delco PF2232 $20.71
- Napa Gold 7202 $22.40

Yes, curiously, Napa Platinum is cheaper than Napa Gold. I am not a fan of the OCOD. The teraolator stories have me concerned, but then I have used the QS filters on my van many times in the past. Napa Gold is my usual go to, but Wix ties to M+H are also concerning. Don't know how Platinum compares to the Gold. I have no familiarity with K&N or M1, and I think AC Delco is Purolator is well? Fram Ultra I think is the "good" Fram from what I hear.

Interested to hear comments on these choices.

I'd choose the Fram XG, which is cheaper than most of the filters in the list, and it will out filter all of them.

Where in Canada are you? Go to a farm or fleet store and see what they have to offer. I would look at Baldwin/Hastings as well.

Locally I can get decent deals on filters for my Cummins. Some of the more farm oriented stores do not have the huge automotive markup.

I've been using the Mobil 1 M1-303 on my Duramax but on this last OCI I changed over to the XG9100 $8.97 at my local Walmart everyday price.

Anything but FRAM. I vote purolator or wix. I tore apart dozens and never found a bad one. And they make motorcraft and mopar and if Ford or Mopar was worried they would have switched to wix. But ive found 4 frams INSIDE of 4.6/5.4 vct camshaft phasers, 2 ocod, 1 silver one and one gold one. Ford literally put out a tsb once not to use Frams on mod motors because of this. Frams are like smoking, some folks might do it for years without dying, but does that make it worth it??

Must be living back on what happened 25 years ago.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Must be living back on what happened 25 years ago.

Yeah, i dont believe any of his FRAM stories. All lies

Those prices are crazy. I would go with the QS. Napa Platinum would be my second choice. I like the Wix build quality on the Platinums (Wix XP). Napa Gold filters (traditional Wix) are good too, but I don't understand why they are more expensive.

My choice would be the Napa Platinum. It is a wire-backed synthetic filter, and costs less than both the Fram Ultra and the Napa Gold
smile.gif

I had my highest soot%, 1.6 vs. 0.6 my previous high, with the NAPA Platinum and highest used oil viscosity @ 17.0, M1 TDT. They are less efficient at filtering the small stuff and are probably are designed to go 20k-30k+ miles without going into bypass mode with a tradeoff.
UOA Here

I used to exclusively use Baldwins but ran out of a reliable source to buy them from locally. Now I use the Fram XG9100, it is built differently than the OCOD.
Just my
49.gif

NP 47202 C&P

Last edited:
weebl, you may be able to add a Donaldson to that list, I believe they are top notch filters especially for a diesel. Not quite sure of their prices though.

Interesting comments so far, and definitely all over the map as I expected.

To answer some questions, I live in the Edmonton, Alberta area. We have UFA out here for farm/fleet type stores, which is actually where I sent my wife to grab the Rotella T6 from, but that was when she made a trip out to visit family. Their website says they have Baldwin filters. Though it is further than I want to drive tomorrow morning.

I'm hearing mixed thoughts from the pro-Fram/anti-Fram camps, and the pro-Purolator/anti-Purolator camps. Not getting the warm fuzzies to go with their filters, though I am thinking of possibly the Fram Ultra.

Considered the Napa Platinum, until I read about DNVDMAX's experience and UOA. Gold seems ridiculously priced.

I'm not hearing great things about how well AC Delco filters, too.

Wish I knew who had Donaldson around here, I would definitely consider.

One here used the M-1. Don't know much about those, but maybe a good option? Are the K&N oil filters even worth considering? Looking like the short list might now be Fram Ultra, M1, possibly K&N, and Napa Gold.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Is efficiency an important factor to you?

Yes, but not the be all and end all. I will consider efficiency amongst everything else about the filter.

What about the OE PF2232 filter? I'm almost certain it's a Isuzu filter not a Champ Labs filter. My Duramax is closing in on 400,000 miles using mostly PF2232 filters.

My first choice would probably be the Wix or NAPA Gold. Note the mention of Hastings and Baldwin, too. Peavey Mart has Hastings, and the Baldwin can be found at Acklands, and the price is very, very attractive lately.

Thanks, all. I've found a local truck part and repair centre that has the Baldwin for under $11. Heading out to grab it after lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back