Duramax By-Pass Filter Which One?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the market for a high quality bypass filter. My truck has 360,000km on it and i'm looking to keep her going. I have looked at a few.

Amsoil Dual bypass
PPE Centrifugal Filter
FS-2500

I have noticed a couple disadvantages with each.

Amsoil one is that the filters reduce oil pressure, and having to make a bracket.

PPE is the price $500+, and that you have to remove your stock oil filler, and i've been unable to find where you get the oil pressure from? Also that it only works when your driving not when your idling.

FS-2500, you have to buy filters through them. Not off the shelf filter. Price $700

Which one would you recommend, I'm leaning towards the AmsOil bypass and using the MadJack bracket and call it a day. But i like the idea of how much soot the centrifugal filter gets out, i drive 70km a day on the highway so it would give sufficient time to run at optimum psi. What would be ideal, would be to have both, the amsoil and the ppe and run them in tandem, but i do not want to lower my oil pressure, i was curious if there was a way to make it so that you could run both but only turn on the centrifugal one when on the highway, so like once the oil pressure gets high enough it would open a pressure valve and shoot it through the centrifugal filter.

One last question, with the centrifugal filter being able to filter out anything less then 1 micron, would it be able to filter out the useful additives in your oil?

Chevy Duramax GAS Dual Bypass Engine OIL Filter KIT Free Shipping | eBay

this appears to be the exact same as the AmsOil one, but no name branded.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site!

Originally Posted By: ippielb
My truck has 360,000km on it and i'm looking to keep her going.

What makes you think that your current maintenance plan won't get the Dmax to last? We don't know what you're doing now or using, but it's probably sufficient to easily get well past where you're at now, if you're using qualifed spec'd products. I have a bit of a bugaboo with the precept that your rig won't last without bypass filtration; that's simply not true. If you're ONLY doing this because you think that ONLY bypass will make your engine last, you're mistaken.

That being said, bypass filtration can have an excellent pay back if you stretch out your OCIs. But for the ROI to make a min threshold, you have to be fair and include the costs of initial fill, top-off, filter elements, initial system costs, etc. And then you'll need to be into UOAs as well ... those also effect the costs.

As far as performance goes, all of the major brands (FS, OilGuard, Gulf Coast, Amsoil, Frantz, etc) all filter to a level that is more than "good enough" for any reasonable application. Therefore, do not pick a system based upon your perception of what is "best", but rather, choose based upon which one will be the least cost option over time. Don't forget to look at replacement element cost versus FCIs. And then s-t-r-e-t-c-h out the OCI to make the investment worthwhile.

Last edited:
I actually have the same question but slightly different plans

I have 31000miles on my 06 and will probably run it past 400 like my PSD. I plan on running Schaeffers 15 40 and running my change intervals out as long as posible.

I find the cost of these bypass systems ridiculous and usually DIY stuff.

I would like to DIY a bypass for the oil and tranny and add a tranny cooler with a fan as well as a Engine oil cooler.

Does anyone have any DIY on these?

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Franz.
Google it

Eeek, i couldnt use toilet paper, just the fear of something going wrong with it and exactly as stated in the website, i dont want it to get into everything.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Welcome to the site!

Originally Posted By: ippielb
My truck has 360,000km on it and i'm looking to keep her going.

What makes you think that your current maintenance plan won't get the Dmax to last? We don't know what you're doing now or using, but it's probably sufficient to easily get well past where you're at now, if you're using qualifed spec'd products. I have a bit of a bugaboo with the precept that your rig won't last without bypass filtration; that's simply not true. If you're ONLY doing this because you think that ONLY bypass will make your engine last, you're mistaken.

That being said, bypass filtration can have an excellent pay back if you stretch out your OCIs. But for the ROI to make a min threshold, you have to be fair and include the costs of initial fill, top-off, filter elements, initial system costs, etc. And then you'll need to be into UOAs as well ... those also effect the costs.

As far as performance goes, all of the major brands (FS, OilGuard, Gulf Coast, Amsoil, Frantz, etc) all filter to a level that is more than "good enough" for any reasonable application. Therefore, do not pick a system based upon your perception of what is "best", but rather, choose based upon which one will be the least cost option over time. Don't forget to look at replacement element cost versus FCIs. And then s-t-r-e-t-c-h out the OCI to make the investment worthwhile.

I know my truck will last for many more miles to come, but i want to get a bypass for the peace of mind knowing my engine is getting the cleanest, and most impurity free oil it can. I could run it as is and continue with my maintenance. I want whats BEST for my engine, not necessarily whats most cost effective. I would pay more money each oil change to ensure it always gets good oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back