Dumped my GC at 5500 mi for M1 0w-40 because WalMart changes oil for a cheap $5...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Torque sticks should only be used so you don't overtorque the lugs BEFORE you use a torque wrench. I used to work at discount tire, and that's how I was taught, using a 60 pound stick. Even at that, most idiots working at these places still keep the impact gun on there too long and it still ends up torquing way past 100 ft. lbs. Many many people came back with warped rotors, especially on GMs, and the guys that worked on those particular cars were always like, "but I used the torque stick"
rolleyes.gif
Like someone else posted above, it will still keep spinning the lug nut if you just keep the gun on there clicking and banging against the hex.

In 2000 or 2001 I bought new wheels and tires for my 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage at the Pep Boys on Dunn Avenue in Jacksonville, FL. When they put the new wheels and tires on they grossly over tightened the lug nuts and when I returned because of the terrible vibratioin I got when applying the brakes I was told by the assistant store manager that it was impossible to warp the brake rotors by over tightening the lug nuts! When I protested the guy said he would not debate me. I then went to the auto shop manager and he agreed to have a mechanic turn the rotors even though they said that they could not have caused the damage. The mechanic did not perform the work that he said that he had done so I paid a nearby shop to turn the rotors while I watched and you could here the cutting tool skipping over the brake rotor as it finished the surface. After having paid the other shop to complete the work I returned to the Pep Boys on Dunn Avenue and had them take the wheels off so I could return them. They were not going to give me credit on the returned wheels but the minimum wage dummy that removed the wheels slammed/threw them on the ground as he removed them and damaged three of the four wheels.
mad.gif

I sent two emails to the Pep Boys corporate office and they finally gave me all my money back after about one week of fighting with these people. They even refunded me the money that I had paid the other shop to turn the rotors.

[ December 19, 2003, 03:46 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

With reguards to "torque sticks", you also have to make sure your impact gun is set with the right air output from the compressor before using the torque sticks as the reading will be affected becuse of the pressure difference.
offtopic.gif

The name on the wall means nothing...the employees in the shop make all the difference in the world.

I judge a shop by these simple words...and the answer received.

Do you mind if I watch...?
wink.gif

PB is the worst. They stripped my alignment bolts in a GTI, I want back 12 times for re-alignment and finally the dealer found the stripped eccentric bolts, PB paid $14 for the bolts. They cut the main wiring harness in Mom's Accord instead of cleaning the battery terminals, the put a .$99 "new" connector on. The car would die unexpectedly. They also left the o-ring out of my BMW when changing oil, the car dumped it's hot oily bounty on my driveway when I got home. All I got was some fresh oil and kitty litter. Do not use them.

I will agree with TSOA on one point, there are some good shops, mechanics and dealerships out there, you just have to find them. For every good shop though, there are 100 bad, shady, snake in the grass, and lousy ones too. -Joe

I'm a big fan of doing it yourself so that you know the job is done right but sometimes you can't.

My Dad wanted to start using synthetic oil on his car (Grand Marquis) but the dealer told him there was no point since he already had 5K miles on it (ya right). He then told me they charge him something like $34 for oil/filter change at the dealer (bulk oil and Motorcraft filter).

I can't change the oil for him because we live 1400 miles apart. I was down for a visit and we went to Walmart. For about $30 (slight up charge for the Motorcraft filter and extra quart of oil) they changed the oil with Mobil 1 and a Motorcraft filter. It was a middle age guy that did the work (late 40's or early 50's). He was very meticulous and even new the car would take 5.25 quarts. They opened up six bottles and left 3/4 of a quart wrapped in a plastic bag on the floor in the front. He has been going there ever since for the oil changes and it has worked out well so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back