Due to staff shortage the self-checkout is closed

I rarely shop for more than a few items but do use them. Kinda like pay at the pump, I like them.

They have electronic devices to monitor the checkout process. They pop up on the screen as you scan them. They can tell when you don't scan an item. Yes eyes are needed-but 10 sets of eyes for 10 self checkout lanes...

The more you know......
They do, but those devices usually just help keep the honest people in line. Theft is up all across the board. I mean I've seen quite a few instances at walmart where jugs of oil on the shelf had used oil in them, and filters were in the wrong box intentionally as an example. It's pretty easy to buy 4 muffins and then do the item look-up on the machine and enter 1 if nobody is looking.

I like to bag my own based on where I will use/store the items …
(Indoors, outdoors, perishable, etc) …

Last week, I was in Wal-Mart and paid at the self checkout. As I was leaving, the cashier and her manager stopped me and told me I didn't pay. I showed them my receipt and they both stood there looking confused. They apologized and I left. No idea why they thought I didn't pay.

This isn't 1970. Packages have bar codes you scan. Price tags haven't been used in decades unless it's some mom and pop grocery store in the middle of nowhere.
I think some big items can have stuck on bar codes? Or you just scan something cheap instead of the big ticket item? Canadian tire (its like walmart with slightly better chinese junk) is getting rid of its self serve tills due to dealing with large items and thefts.

At least locally its always 1 person for maybe up to 10 self serve tills, Walmart usually has 2 people for more tills than that. If I have a cart even half full of groceries I find its usually faster to go to a manned till though even with a couple people in line. If I'm only grabbing a couple things I'll zip through the self checkout, if there's any line at all at a manned till.

I go to a supermarket with a free item on weekends with their rewards program. Doesn't require any purchase, although one may be on the hook for sales tax or a bottle/can deposit. At self checkout, if there's a free item, it requires manual approval from a real person. The place I go to has four of these with one station for the employee.

I prefer self checkouts myself, especially at Costco because I'm the rare guy who goes in there and only buys 3 things, so I don't want to wait in a huge line behind people with $400 worth of stuff. Costco is really good about keeping their self checkout stations working but Walmart is absolutely brutal. Almost every single Walmart I visit has at least 1/4 of the self checkout stations out of order, sometimes even more than that. If you're going to offer self checkout as a option you need to make sure that at least 90% of the stations are operational.

Or how about someone who lets their four-year old scan while there's a line.

Yeah, sure, when the kid started there wasn't a line, or there wasn't one last week. But now there is. Take over, Karen.
Sounds like you might be the Karen griping… :)

This isn't 1970. Packages have bar codes you scan. Price tags haven't been used in decades unless it's some mom and pop grocery store in the middle of nowhere.
But people will swap things in boxes, and I have no doubt they double tap a cheap item and swap in a heavier thing. I doubt the weight sensors on these things are smart enough.

Realistically they need a tender for the registers.

I am a fan of them as our local grocery cannot hire enough cashiers however is old school and refuses to install them so you have 12 registers with 3 people (slow elderly or slow 14 year old running it).

Doesn't bother me. If the cashier is fast, great. If not... I'd rather swipe my own stuff. Better places to be and all.

Besides, at the grocery, often it's some kid still in high school and who doesn't understand that eggs are what one might call "fragile" and should not be under heavy things. They need to learn at some point, but I'd rather not with my groceries.

Running into Walmart first thing in the morning is great, in and out, swipe my own items. Moving at my own speed, go figure, I prefer that the most.

Back