Drop vs Broadcast Spreaders

Springtime is just around the corner...that means Yard time for some of us.

I have a Scotts EdgeGuard Spreader but want to know if anyone of you have or used Broadcast spreader of any brand. With those who owns both, please share your ideas which you liked best. Or any diehard Drop vs diehard Broadcast users here....Bring it on.! I've seen a lot of Contractors/Pros uses Drop but a lot of homeowners use Broadcast. So who knows best? Thanks

Last edited:
I like the Scotts broadcast type spreader...Years ago I had a drop spreader but you have to be careful that you dont get burn lines in your grass when applying ...Plus the broadcast cover more area...per pass

Broadcast spreaders are very forgiving if one cannot push a spreader in a straight line! Much better results than using a drop spreader. I owned a drop spreader for about 3 years and then replaced it with a broadcast spreader.

There's obviously pros and cons to both, as already revealed above. A drop spreader is easier to calibrate accurately. Except for the commercial Anderson broadcast spreader, most broadcast spreaders throw uneven patterns that need to be tweaked and accounted for (overlap). That's why with a less expensive broadcast spreader I would spread the material in 2 directions (half in one direction, other half at 90 degrees.

No need to repeat internet instructions how to get accurate, even applications. My thought is that a drop spreader might be o.k. for a really tiny lawn, but the broadcast will be better for most situations.. It's kind of like comparing soldering vs. crimps - both work excellent if done correct. Pick your poison.

Springtime is just around the corner...that means Yard time for some of us.

I have a Scotts EdgeGuard Spreader but want to know if anyone of you have or used Broadcast spreader of any brand. With those who owns both, please share your ideas which you liked best. Or any diehard Drop vs diehard Broadcast users here....Bring it on.! I've seen a lot of Contractors/Pros uses Drop but a lot of homeowners use Broadcast. So who knows best? Thanks
I have both and my time availability dictates which one I use. Drops are the best at providing accuracy and control if you have the time and patience.

Broadcast for the last 40+ years
Why? As a kid I seen too many burnt spots in lawns where too much fertilizer was applied by a drop spreader, too many lines in the turf where fertilizer was not applied.
With a broadcast this doesnt happen. Furthermore for me who maintains golf course like turf, I actually apply at a lighter setting using a Scotts Broadcast. I do the whole lawn and then a second time all over again for the most even distribution.
(I dont care about brand of broadcast spreader)

I have a Ortho drop and a Scott broadcast. For me the broadcast is the better one. I like to keep my grass high and when I'd use the drop the grass tops would wet the drops opening and it just wouldn't work right.

Back