Driving off with the nozzle

We have all seen pics. Saw this at a station today. Must happen quite often?

Attachments

• IMG_20230408_154137924.jpg
    IMG_20230408_154137924.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 43
Happens all the time. The hoses have a quick-disconnect at the top of the pump for that very reason. I've only seen it a handful of times, but oddly enough, only one person was paying enough attention (or brave enough, I suppose) to stop and tell someone.

Happens all the time.
Does it? I've only seen it once in 40 years of driving all over the USA.

... I've only seen it a handful of times, but oddly enough, only one person was paying enough attention (or brave enough, I suppose) to stop and tell someone.
The one time I saw this was just a few months ago. A fellow walked into the convenience store with the fuel pump running, when he came out he got in his van and started the engine. I ran over yelling and waving my arms and saved a guy from the consequences of his own stupidity.

Does it? I've only seen it once in 40 years of driving all over the USA.

The one time I saw this was just a few months ago. A fellow walked into the convenience store with the fuel pump running, when he came out he got in his van and started the engine. I ran over yelling and waving my arms and saved a guy from the consequences of his own stupidity.
Yep. Worked at a gas station for a summer in high school years ago. It happened a lot more often than I would've expected.

Good luck with that $5 sticker being enforced. They can ask however collecting is another matter thru civil courts.
I'd be surprised if the driver's insurance didn't pay without going to court. Especially if the incident is caught on video.

No wonder some states require an employee pump the fuel. New Jersey being one of them.
Which is why I avoid buying gas in that state, if at all possible. I’m there often, and it turns a five minute gas stop into something much longer, and more inconvenient.

Employees aren’t available when you pull up. Or they start the pump, then disappear for a while, and you’re left just waiting for them to come back. What a pain.

I buy gas in Delaware, or Connecticut, and have the range to bypass NJ without issue. Even when gas was cheaper in NJ (which is no longer true) I would fill up in another state.

When I drive to Newark, I would fill up before NJ. Go to work. Leave, and fill up on the Eastern Shore on my way home. Too many bad experiences at NJ gas stations.

I was pumping gas into my car one day and heard a loud BANG. I looked up to see some idiot driving away from one of the other pumps with the nozzle still in his gas tank. I watched him drive out of the station and pull up to the curb across the street, get out of his car cursing like a sailor, and yank the nozzle out and toss it to the gutter. And then drive away.

I went inside the station and told the attendant who went out and retrieved the nozzle. I suspect that the customer sustained some body damage to his vehicle plus drove away with no gas cap which probably caused a CEL to come on in short order.

The main reason for that sign is to get people to think about not driving away with the nozzle. But it kind of sends the wrong message since the damage to the station is small if the guy brings the nozzle back so they can re-attach it.

All the pumps around here have the break away fitting on them.

It's a code requirement (International Fire Code), https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/I...fuel-dispensing-facilities-and-repair-garages

2306.7.5.1 Breakaway devices.

Dispenser hoses shall be equipped with a listed emergency breakaway device designed to retain liquid on both sides of a breakaway point. Such devices shall be installed and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. Where hoses are attached to hose-retrieving mechanisms, the emergency breakaway device shall be located between the hose nozzle and the point of attachment of the hose-retrieval mechanism to the hose.

Also, the possibility of a vehicle striking the dispenser and knocking it over has been taken into account:

2306.7.4 Dispenser Emergency Valve
An approved automatic emergency shutoff valve designed to close in the event of a fire or impact shall be properly installed in the liquid supply line at the base of each dispenser supplied by a remote pump. The valve shall be installed so that the shear groove is flush with or within 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) of the top of the concrete dispenser island and there is clearance provided for maintenance purposes around the valve body and operating parts. The valve shall be installed at the liquid supply line inlet of each overhead-type dispenser. Where installed, a vapor return line located inside the dispenser housing shall have a shear section or approved flexible connector for the liquid supply line emergency shutoff valve to function. Emergency shutoff valves shall be installed and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions, tested at the time of initial installation and tested at least yearly thereafter in accordance with FC2305.2.2.

I’ve done this before admittedly. I was on my way home from working long hours. It was late and I was exhausted. I didn’t damaged anything though.

Some name calling going for this. Not really sure why. We are all human and make mistakes. Some people are quick to be judgmental of others. I guess those people must be perfect and completely beyond reproach. Probably never made a mistake in their life, right?

Last edited:
I’ve done this before admittedly. I was on my way home from working long hours. It was late and I was exhausted. I didn’t damaged anything though.

Some name calling going for this. Not really sure why. We are all human and make mistakes. Some people are quick to be judgmental of others. I guess those people must be perfect and completely beyond reproach. Probably never made a mistake in their life, right?
Neighbor down the street drove through the back of their garage a few weeks back. See they found a contractor to repair the framing and lay the brick. It happens.

No wonder some states require an employee pump the fuel.
If I'm not mistaken, only 2 out of the 50 states require it. Pretty sure it's not for "safety" either.

Happens all the time.
Never in my life have a I seen it happen or the aftermath. I've seen pictures on social media, sure, but that doesn't mean it's common.

Some people are quick to be judgmental of others. I guess those people must be perfect and completely beyond reproach. Probably never made a mistake in their life, right?
Some definitely act like they're perfect, they raised absolute perfect children, and so on....

I have a career where mistakes like that can result in disaster. For me and all those for whom I am responsible.

So, while I haven’t weighed in on this topic, let’s be careful about “making mistakes” being acceptable. Perhaps they are. Perhaps not.

Some mistakes have grave consequences. Driving off with the hose still in the car is dumb, but not of great consequence.

But you wouldn’t accept the excuses, “it was late, and I was tired”, or, “we are all human” if your surgeon made a mistake.

Back