School Closing Because of Predicted Weather?

It's all about liability. Our buses cannot operate per state law with gusts over 35mph....If the roads are icy, school is canceled...

Just last week we had a bus lose control and run through a mobile home...

More like generation 'L' for liability.

No school wants to be held liable for making a bad decision to keep kids there when they had information that they could have sent them home before whatever disaster hit and potentially hurt the kids.
I think this is it, and it inexplicably leaves parental judgment and responsibility behind.

If you as a parent really think your kid's in danger, then go get them.

When i worked for the local county they would sometimes close early if it was snowing heavy and supposed to get worse in late afternoon. Having lived in this area all my life, I never understood it. I mean, snow? In Colorado? In the winter? Who ever would have expected that?

Incidentally, in these parts where heavy snow is actually very quiet and peaceful, I've never seen anyone get killed by a fat flake of powder slowly falling from the sky. Weird, I know. And yet local employers and schools still panic.

It's all about liability. Our buses cannot operate per state law with gusts over 35mph....If the roads are icy, school is canceled...

Just last week we had a bus lose control and run through a mobile home...
Oooo oooo oooo please say the bus and the mobile home were full of nuns!! Please.....

We had sirens blowing again today. Then my cell phone was blowing up with warnings. Then the neighbor sent me a couple texts.
Nothing became of it except some rain.

All during my afternoon nap of course. :mad: I finally shut off the cell phone. By then, I could not sleep.:ROFLMAO:

We had sirens blowing again today. Then my cell phone was blowing up with warnings. Then the neighbor sent me a couple texts.
Nothing became of it except some rain.

All during my afternoon nap of course. :mad: I finally shut off the cell phone. By then, I could not sleep.:ROFLMAO:
they do that here all the time when any dark cloud comes over, especially in the winter time,they start out forecasting a foot of snow,get everyone stirred up ,windup with barely a inch acumination, they cry wolf too much ,then when nothing is expected to happen ,then look out for some exciting weather.

Reactions: D60
Pic taken from the tornado damage in Minden, Iowa.
1714842145210.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Pew
Back in the day weather forecasters weren't allowed to announce whether they thought that tornadoes could be likely in an area. They were considered completely unpredictable.
There is a really great PBS special that showcases a guy (can't remember his name) who made big strides in weather predictions and accuracy. From my reading NCAR and NOAA still say that only 1 in 10 thunderstorms create tornadoes but they haven't identified the specific trigger that allows meteorologists to specify which storm individually.

More like generation 'L' for liability.

No school wants to be held liable for making a bad decision to keep kids there when they had information that they could have sent them home before whatever disaster hit and potentially hurt the kids.
If I remember correctly a high school in Kansas or Iowa did have students stay and it was a miracle that more weren't hurt or killed as the tornado tore off the gym roof and damaged the school.

I work as a teacher and sometimes the delays and or dismissals are lame and nothing occurs,(smoke cancellation due to wildfire, small fire in art classroom) but most of the time the delays are in everyone’s best interest. You also have to think about students walking home, students who drive to school and the various dismissal times of schools within the district. The administrators have to go with their gut and make the call early enough to take action. They are also at the hands of the meteorologist. Regardless someone will be upset with what they decided.

Two years ago we had a tornado come through on back to school night in September caused lots of damage and only missed my kids school by a mile. We got high winds and heavy rains others got it much worse. There was a severe thunderstorm warning and then a tornado warning while we were in route to the school.

Back