Driving in the South

Here in Pennsylvania we seem to have a plague of Toyota Prius drivers doing 47mph in the left lane of 65mph highways (probably hypermileing) with their heads down, talking on cellphones, totally oblivious to the chaos they are causing around them, always with Maryland plates. Apparently they don't know how to pair their phones to the hands free system. I've seen this a lot on I83 north. I'll be taking a trip to South Carolina later this summer, mostly on I81. Probably will be interesting.
I wish I could disagree with this. People will have a 2022 whatever and be screaming into their cell phone on speaker as they drive, with the window down. You paid $30k to not use handsfree? Blows my mind...

Here in FL, it gets interesting driving from October to April when the snowbirds are here. When I see someone driving like a 'donkey', they usually have a northern plate on their car, then they look all offended when they get the horn. But, bad drivers are everywhere, not just the South. No need to generalize.

Beware of any clunker with a New Hampshire license plate. New Hampshire is the only state where liability insurance is not mandatory. Nor seat belt use. Newton's basic laws of physics are not operative there.

Of course, no motorcycle helmets needed in the State whose symbol is a granite head, now shattered.

If you are waiting for an organ transplant donor, move to New Hampshire.

Nothing jambs up the works faster here than a Tennessee or Georgia plated Altima being a general menace
Southern Hospitality (on the road) much like German Engineering, is a myth 😯

Alabama in particular 👀

Ooh I'd like to try a waffle house, but I'm not sure I'd survive the road trip down there 😳

Last edited:
IME, the more rural an area or state the more likely drivers will be slow but stay in the right-lane on a highway. Vise-versa, the more populated/bigger city a state has the faster the drivers are but the more they are likely to camp out in the left lane. Then the closer you are to a metro area, the more aggressive the drivers get.

I can absolutely assure you the worst left lane drivers are Quebec, Ontario, Michigan, Ohio followed by any beater from a Southern state - in that order.
I resemble that remark, LOL. After all, I just turned 67 so I have invoked the old person right to just barely peer over the steering wheel and drive as you describe.;) Also, we have that legal weed situation here now, which affects perception. I recently missed the toilet and pooped in the sink. Sigh.

Seriously, at least in my travels in the eastern U.S., I think the level of moronic driving is bad just about everywhere, especially in urban areas. Pew nailed it.

IME, the more rural an area or state the more likely drivers will be slow but stay in the right-lane on a highway. Vise-versa, the more populated/bigger city a state has the faster the drivers are but the more they are likely to camp out in the left lane. Then the closer you are to a metro area, the more aggressive the drivers get.

I've been in rural areas over 100 miles from Virginia (like in Pennsylvania) and some vehicle with Virginia tags will be the one camping in the left lane.

I even had a driver on I70 just east of Breezewood, PA ride my butt as I was passing a truck. I moved over and this driver then proceeded to pace me in the left lane. Virginia driver. That was after almost 700 miles of driving back from Chicago, and I hadn't seen ANY stupidity like that the entire trip so far.

Another fun one is watching a Virginia driver try to figure out how to make a left turn without a green arrow. If the green arrow never came on they'd probably be there all day.

The other question I have is about stopping on the side of the road. In the Midwest, that means my car is broken. Here it seems people just pull off to rest, have a picnic in the ditch, go through the luggage in their trunk, or sit. I was passed my multiple vehicles that ended up on the side of the road later, only to pass me up and repeat again.

Interesting for sure!!

Nothing jambs up the works faster here than a Tennessee or Georgia plated Altima being a general menace
Southern Hospitality (on the road) much like German Engineering, is a myth 😯

Alabama in particular 👀

Ooh I'd like to try a waffle house, but I'm not sure I'd survive the road trip down there 😳

We've got one in Harrisburg Pa
Actually 2 in the area, one in Harrisburg and another in Carlisle

Last edited:
No one:
Nissan Altima drivers:
1688332583163.jpeg

Back