Driving for Uber/Lyft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mjk
Friend drives, you want to drive for Lyft. Completely different clientele.

Trust me on this.

How long has your friend been driving for Lyft ? Tons of ads right now advertising for Lyft so this has me curious right now.

Not only can your insurance be a problem, make sure you check out how much Uber or Lyft will pay for damages if it is done by the passenger. A deliberate torn back seat or if a passenger throws up, who pays for repair or clean up?
It's my understanding that you would pay for that, not Uber or Lyft.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Not only can your insurance be a problem, make sure you check out how much Uber or Lyft will pay for damages if it is done by the passenger. A deliberate torn back seat or if a passenger throws up, who pays for repair or clean up?

Wrong fees put on riders credit card. Better then hasssling cash out of losers. Also losers riders get bans or poor ratings.

2 years...

Originally Posted By: Boczech
Originally Posted By: mjk
Friend drives, you want to drive for Lyft. Completely different clientele.

Trust me on this.

How long has your friend been driving for Lyft ? Tons of ads right now advertising for Lyft so this has me curious right now.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: Kruse

Wrong fees put on riders credit card. Better then hasssling cash out of losers. Also losers riders get bans or poor ratings.

The driver ends up getting the clean up done, but the rider pays. However if it takes the car out of service for a day or two, the driver doesn't make any money in that time period and isn't compensated for that. Plus I'm sure it takes a few days for the smell of vomit to go away, or the car smells like Frebreze.

I drive for Uber. I retired from corporate life 18 months ago at age 60. I wanted something I could do at will as financial backup. Here are some key issues:

1. Flexibility. This is the most attractive thing about it. You only have to take one rider per month to stay active. Otherwise your work schedule is entirely up to you. In my case, I hit it hard in the winter to build up a cash stash for emergencies or fun. In summer, I prefer golf and yard work so, not so much. Last week, I worked four hours. I drove for three this morning only because my daughter had to be downtown for a few hours. No other job that I'm aware of can give you this incredible flexibility.

2. Pay. The pay is poor and you may in fact just end up liquidating the equity in your vehicle. Let's face the fact upfront that this is the easiest job in all creation so, don't expect to be compensated like your ex-CEO. I don't worry about the hourly compensation (I'm retired, I've got plenty of time). Instead, I measure my productivity in $/mile driven, including deadhead miles. Remember that you will get a $0.54/mile business expense deduction when you do your taxes. So, if your $/mi metric doesn't exceed .54, you won't be paying any income tax on these earnings. Bottom line--this is not a full time work opportunity. It may work for you (as it does me) if you have other sources of income and just want a little extra cushion in life. When folks get to badmouthing it too much, I point to the 65" 4K flat screen and blu-ray I recently purchased with Uber profits.

3. Insurance. You simply must cover this base. 99% of Uber drivers probably are not. No personal auto policy will cover it. Uber is liability only so, if you kill somebody, they'll take Uber's $1,000,000 then come after any assets you have like your house, your 401K, your hot rods etc., etc. I found a business policy that cost me an additional $200/yr. I can haul people or I can haul firewood commercially and I'm covered. Period.

Of course there's more to it but I'll do my best to answer whatever questions you have. Also, I drive day shift only so I've avoided most of the drunk stories and no one has puked in my vehicle. My passengers are 99.9% nice, normal people on their way to work, school, the airport or a ballgame. In short, it works for me. YMMV.

Last edited:
I have no personal experience but had a friend who drove for Uber. He mentioned the damage people cause to your vehicle and the vomit.

Some drivers report being involved in shady businesses (drugs / prostitution).
I would stay away from hassles and mileage on your vehicle.

Is your brother-in-law that desperate for a job ?

Rode about 10 trips on Lyft, the drivers also drive Uber and turn off one app when the other got a customer. Drivers are typically of 2 kinds:

1) Retiree / students: nothing to lose, need flexibility, so they are happy to make peanuts instead of sitting around doing nothing in between, using their own personal car, and not worried about being sued (nothing to sue for).

2) Minorities that are not skilled to make big money and are typically not able to land a customer facing jobs (bad accents, dark skin, not physically attractive, cultural barrier, etc). They either already work near minimum wage job anyways, so they drive at peak hours with higher fare and sleep when business is slow. They typically drive Prius and are happy about the money (not comparing to a $20/hr job, but rather look at making $800-1k a month instead of $500 they used to make).

If you are middle class with good income or a lot of assets to be sued for, and want to do part time driving for a "well deserved" pay, you might be disappointed.

Last edited:
Many THANKS for the replies.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back