Lyft and Uber USERS, check in!

For those that use Lyft, Uber, and if there is maybe any new one.. ride-share services. I may. MAY use one for a week or two.. nothing final, and about to check on my phone, using the app.

Please state, for this thread, if you ride with these services:

- Which one you use
- Distance traveled
- Which mode of service UberX? Uber Shared? Uber Select? Or whatever they call it now
- Time it takes to come...
- How much it costs per ride for WHERE.

Thank you!

It varies. Depends on demand and locale. I’ve used it all over the country, both Lyft and Uber. Never the rideshare but have used Uber Black when it’s cheaper than regular for some reason. I love using it vs a cab company. Only one crappy driver that made me nervous in all the rides I’ve taken (hundreds).

Install the app, test it out without commit to asking the ride. They usually give you an estimate prior to final confirmation and you can see on the app where their estimated time to arrival / wait / cost are. Time (whether it is peak hours) matters.

I do have some problem here and there at airport with Lyft / Uber sometimes looping around cancelling rides, etc. Usually it is not a big deal but sometimes when there's a high demand things get hairy (software bugs, phone low on charge, etc). In those situation on business trips I end up with a cab instead, but from home to airport usually Uber / Lyft works very well.

Did you pick the name Schwinny because you lost your license and ride a bike to work?
Knew a guy at work that took the bus once for 6 months. He never mentioned why but drunk driving is a loss of license for 6 months. He was well known as the guy who always drank the most at a party. Gave him a ride a few times too, never asked him why and he never volunteered.

Install the app, test it out without commit to asking the ride. They usually give you an estimate prior to final confirmation and you can see on the app where their estimated time to arrival / wait / cost are. Time (whether it is peak hours) matters.

I do have some problem here and there at airport with Lyft / Uber sometimes looping around cancelling rides, etc. Usually it is not a big deal but sometimes when there's a high demand things get hairy (software bugs, phone low on charge, etc). In those situation on business trips I end up with a cab instead, but from home to airport usually Uber / Lyft works very well.
I did put the app on. They wanted $30 for one way. I guess that idea went out the window.

Let's keep the experiences of prices coming! (Or not, and if not, this thread can just age down the list, as others do when they lose interest, in a normal manner.)

Did you pick the name Schwinny because you lost your license and ride a bike to work?
No, not at all. :rolleyes::unsure: My bike riding days are likely behind me and I like bikes, however, no sir, that is not it.

As to my motivation for asking My rideshare inquiry told me that it may not necessarily have been cost-prohibitive, but that to help a friend out that really needs a vehicle for moving and to not pay exhorbinant Lyft/Uber fees (constant use can add up) well maybe soon but I'll be operating in the usual fashion.

Again, perhaps others that use Lyft, Uber, or whatever can comment on how it is for them. I drove all over this weekend and should have got some more stuff from High Performance Laboratories but that will be another time.

Maybe I will do DoorDash or Uber Lyft on weekend days, that could work!

Knew a guy at work that took the bus once for 6 months. He never mentioned why but drunk driving is a loss of license for 6 months. He was well known as the guy who always drank the most at a party. Gave him a ride a few times too, never asked him why and he never volunteered.
It never pays to drink and drive! Thankful it all worked out.
Did that happen before?
No.
I did put the app on. They wanted $30 for one way. I guess that idea went out the window.

Let's keep the experiences of prices coming! (Or not, and if not, this thread can just age down the list, as others do when they lose interest, in a normal manner.)

Install both. Then start checking prices. I’ve paid $10 for a short ride in town, $170 for Uber Black (luxury ride) from JFK to EWR airports.

Cost varies with demand and distance. Peak times, like rush hour, or 11-2 on a weekend night, will show much higher prices. you know the price before you request a ride. Generally Lyft and Uber are about the same price. I haven’t noticed a difference in service between the two companies. I do use Uber Black often, generally a luxury car or nice SUV like a Suburban. I have my reasons for wanting a nice ride, not some clapped out basic sedan, on certain trips.

You rate drivers.

But drivers rate you.

Drivers can choose the trips they want. They see a 2 star ride request into a lousy area, they might pass. They see a 5 star ride request they usually jump on it.

I tip well. I don’t drink or eat in their cars. I avoid controversial conversation. I get rated well. Drivers respond very quickly to my requests.

IMO if you use uber etc the ride fee is really mainly to compare to a parking cost at the airport or rental car.

For example, a family of 4 going to the airport, with a choice of either parking at some ParkHero lot (usually an airport hotel) for $60 for 1 week, or 2 round trip ride for $80 in UberX (because the driver takes up 1 seat and you need a 6 passenger vehicle to hold all the luggage as well, people tend to forget the driver space when uber vs driving), then airport parking is cheaper.

Now if the trip is a 2 month trip to another continent, then the whole equation change and UberX or airport shuttle / taxi is really the only option. The landing spot is the same equation on rental car vs ubering around.

Just fyi, right now a 29 mile ride to the airport in STL via Lyft is $52 and they’ll be at my house in 10 minutes.

Same ride on Uber is $49 and they’ll be here in 12 minutes. For all I know could be the same driver.
Very common in the Bay Area and LA for drivers to have both Lyft and Uber tradecrafts(decals) - Amazon(Whole Foods and Prime Now delivery) and Uber as well as Doordash and Uber are common pairings too.

I needed to get a ride between LA Union Station and my Airbnb a few months ago. Lyft was $45, Uber was $15. They are both hurting for drivers - the virus that shall not be named decimated demand(which also in this case wipes out supply), and made for a very busy repo man(when Toyota dealers in the Oakland, CA area are passing on ex-Uber Prii with 50-75K on the clock as CPOs for $25-30K, something’s up) or gig drivers tapping out and doing Amazon or Doordash. All the local Whole Foods have Uber drivers there at all opening hours doing delivery when there’s no passengers via Amazon Flex.

My dad’s driving for Lyft now, as much as I’m not happy about it(and the fact he bought IMO the wrong car for it) it gets him out of the house. He said it was busy these last few weeks.

$60 round trip, put that toward a rental for the day!

Install both. Then start checking prices. I’ve paid $10 for a short ride in town, $170 for Uber Black (luxury ride) from JFK to EWR airports.

Cost varies with demand and distance. Peak times, like rush hour, or 11-2 on a weekend night, will show much higher prices. you know the price before you request a ride. Generally Lyft and Uber are about the same price. I haven’t noticed a difference in service between the two companies. I do use Uber Black often, generally a luxury car or nice SUV like a Suburban. I have my reasons for wanting a nice ride, not some clapped out basic sedan, on certain trips.

You rate drivers.

But drivers rate you.

Drivers can choose the trips they want. They see a 2 star ride request into a lousy area, they might pass. They see a 5 star ride request they usually jump on it.

I tip well. I don’t drink or eat in their cars. I avoid controversial conversation. I get rated well. Drivers respond very quickly to my requests.
It's still just an estimate. Could cost more if the ride takes longer or goes further. Look at the guy who got charged an extra $600 because the ride took so long when it got stuck on I-95 during the storm.

I use it all over the country. Prices vary widely. Get both apps and compare. Uber was $60 from airport for French Quarter in New Orleans. Lyft $33 or so. To/from mechanic in town is usually around $12-$15 takes maybe 20min. Last week I had a 1/2 price Lyft. $6 across town. Maybe 6mi / 15min

I use both services regularly in NY. Most often to and from HPN to SWF (white plains airport to Stewart airport). The trip generally runs just over $100 plus a $10 toll charge for a $1.75 toll, NY taxes and a 20% tip. Total of my last one was $139.24 for 64.92 miles, or more accurately $2.14 per mile. In years past, it would be cheaper to rent a car and drive it for 24 hours, than to use Uber. However, with today's rental car one way drop off charges of $175 or more, Uber is the way to go.

All of the drivers have been acceptable, some are talkative, some are quite interesting.

Haven't used it yet but I did sign up for an account so I could get a ride to / from uhaul for my Jeep trips out of state. But so far I've been able to bum a ride from friends to get the rental truck.

Back