Driveway sealer and repair that is great? Stuff in stores now is crap! It cracks, etc. no elasticity! Bought In 2019

They don't stock the good stuff in Lowes or Home Depot. You need to visit a supply store that pros use, and possibly even a roofing supply. Or buy stuff online (although shipping probably kills the deal). That and for big enough cracks clean out and fill in with something that requires a torch.

Driveway sealer and repair that LAST? Stuff in stores now is crap! It cracks,etc. no elasticity!
I bought the best driveway sealer and repair for my driveway from Lowe’s. I also searched Home Depot and other places.
It seems o me, due to new green laws government restriction etc. all the chemicals and materials in the driveway sealer and crack repair that worked and lastEd are now removed. So is it better for the environment to make and sell 10x more plastic and other material, than to make it last! Or to have to pay for a whole new driveway and all the chemicals and material, equipment and machinery, etc. involved!
Now you have to seal and repair your driveway every year. I live in Northern Virginia, not what I would call extreme environment. All sealers seem to be missing chemicals and materials to have any elastic and longevity whatsoever.
Where can I buy or make quality long lasting reasonably priced driveway sealer? How about crack repair?
Merry Christmas and happy new year!
OP, my maintenance man is back from vacation.
He said the sealant he uses around here at the complex is called SIKAFLEX. He buys it by the cases at Home Depot.
The sealant in the pic below has been down for about 13 months

Sikaflex 10.1 oz. Crack Flex Concrete Sealant-7116110 - The Home Depot
SEALANT.jpeg

OP didn't say anything in his post about asphalt.
I did say asphalt, either in original or follow up post. But if the information helps people with concrete drive ways that is good! Thank you. I am still trying to find a local pro place to get true tar, or tar ash from that will have elasticity to it vs the crap for us non asphalt business people. I want to fill cracks of hair line to half inch. I wonder if it would be best to somehow scrap off or use some chemicals to remove the Lowe’/Home despot crap? If I can get real sealer and also real crack filler.

Nothing seems to work well. Two years ago I worked my butt off filling in cracks on my rather large parking area and driveway. I bought the rubber cord that you melt into the cracks with a torch. Lots of work, sealed driveway and it looked fantastic. Fast forward to this summer large cracks were back and looked awful. I finally had the entire driveway repaved at much more money than I ever wanted to spend. Hopefully I can get ten years out of it before I sell or die.

Nothing seems to work well. Two years ago I worked my butt off filling in cracks on my rather large parking area and driveway. I bought the rubber cord that you melt into the cracks with a torch. Lots of work, sealed driveway and it looked fantastic. Fast forward to this summer large cracks were back and looked awful. I finally had the entire driveway repaved at much more money than I ever wanted to spend. Hopefully I can get ten years out of it before I sell or die.
To do it right you need to spend the really big bucks and have it paved with cobblestone. That will last 100 years or more.

Similar thing they with the paint they used to paint lines on the roads these day. Environmentally friendly, but the lines fade after a few short years leading to driver confusion at times. The repainting schedule is from the old days when the lines lasted longer, it can be a few years of roads with barely visible lines before new ones are applyied.

The law of unintended consequences at its best.

Just had driveway coated. I hesitate to say “sealed.” But I will say it was neatly done, on time, and took 15 minutes. I used to do these things myself a lifetime ago. Go to Home Depot or wherever. The pails, buying the squeegees, the left overs, the mess. Guy charged $55 and it was done.

Attachments

• B236BBB7-AF79-493A-81B3-6BAD13128FD2.jpeg
    B236BBB7-AF79-493A-81B3-6BAD13128FD2.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 28
In sort, it’s always been my understanding whatever the professionals use is better than any DIY stuff. I’m sure it being applied hot has something to do with it too.

What really kills the DIY stuff is snow removal with a blade or plow. No snow no problem perhaps?

In sort, it’s always been my understanding whatever the professionals use is better than any DIY stuff. I’m sure it being applied hot has something to do with it too.

What really kills the DIY stuff is snow removal with a blade or plow. No snow no problem perhaps?
You’re right about snow removal. My HOA comes around with front end loaders. They go up just short of the garage doors, lower the blade, back up and scrape the snow off with the lip of the blade. Ugh. That’s why I wait until spring to get it sealed again. At least it looks ok all summer.

my neighbor has been hiring a company owned by College kids who seal his driveway every year for $100 cash and they just use the generic brand sealer and no crack repair stuff, this seems to be the best way ive seen, he just snickers at me every year when i come home with over $100 worth of sealer/crack repair/applying brush stuff, and alot of huffing and pufffing every summer. i think he has the right idea. if you DIY it is too get that cleaner stuff and clean/prep the surface before application I did this once and the sealer actually held up 2 seasons.

jup, hot patch/sealer is a game changer but you cant get it at the HOMEDEPOT

Just had driveway coated. I hesitate to say “sealed.” But I will say it was neatly done, on time, and took 15 minutes. I used to do these things myself a lifetime ago. Go to Home Depot or wherever. The pails, buying the squeegees, the left overs, the mess. Guy charged $55 and it was done.
worth $55(y)

I had my driveway replaced a few years ago because there were a lot of cracks in the many layers of seal coating that the previous owner of the house had done. After the asphalt guys finished up my new driveway I was told not to seal coat it. The driveway need a certain porosity. My driveway is no longer dark black but that's ok. I'll patch cracks if I get any, but no seal coat. YMMV.

I realize it's an old post here, but what those asphalt guys told you is completely false. If you live in a climate that features a winter, you need to seal coat asphalt if you want it to last. I assume they told you the above to sell you another driveway in ~10yrs.

Seal coating doesn't really seal the asphalt, but it does help hold the surface layer together for longer.

Reactions: GON
I wonder how Quikrete Commercial Grade Permanent Blacktop Repair would work to repair / fill cracks?

Probably works well but what if you just need a trowel full? I hate having bags of left over stuff. That’s 49+ lbs I don’t need.

Back