Driver gets 15 years in Prison for Road Rage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I've seen a person, with no arrest record whatsoever, who drank two beers at dinner, and got into a car crash. The car crash was NOT their fault, and was the fault of the other drunk driver, who ended up dying. They were arrested, and blew a 0.05 blood alcohol level, which is UNDER the legal limit in Florida. Charged with DUI vehicular manslaughter. Found guilty and sentenced to 25 years, for a crash that was NOT their fault. Is that justice?

Sounds like a court room travesty, and lawyers who didn't know jack. A good reason to try and keep out of trouble with the law, you never know how convoluted things can become.

Also, not enough information provided to know the complete story.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
Seems like every time you see one of these "enforcer" types, they look just like this guy.

lol..yea for sure

I was actually surprised to see an older guy, I was picturing a late teens to early 20's person. I agree with the sentencing because of the prior history people say he had and not showing remorse.

Originally Posted By: The_Nuke

But with the 15 years in total sentence he was given, it's not out of the realm of possibilities that he's out of prison in 7-8 years after catching parole.

If it's a mandatory minimum of one half - which it looks like it could be - he does seven and a half to parole eligibility, less whatever he laid out in county waiting for trial. So he probably has six, or less, to go, before eligibility.

If it doesn't have a mandatory minimum, he may already be close to eligible.

edit: what is the girl's status? Did she recover fully?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The_Nuke
15 years is excessive

He was found guilty of
1) aggravated assault with a deadly weapon for what he did to the motorcycle driver, and
2) aggravated assault with a deadly weapon causing bodily injury for what he did to the motorcycle passenger (she had serious medical issues resulting from the crash).

He showed no remorse for his actions on the day this happened, and he has a history of similar events where he put others' lives in danger with his inability to control his anger while driving.

Add all that up, and then factor in that the trial took place in a small-town, Texas courtroom, and I am honestly surprised he only got 15 years.

Personally, I would have rather they given him a 15 for both counts, to be served consecutively. That way he actually serves more than a decade in prison, which is the minimum amount of actual prison time anyone behaving like that should get IMHO.

But with the 15 years in total sentence he was given, it's not out of the realm of possibilities that he's out of prison in 7-8 years after catching parole. That is completely unacceptable to me, but that's just my feeling on it, so whatever...

I have a lot of time working in the criminal justice system. Its hardly justice, when a murderer gets out in less than 3 years(happens all the time), and a guy causing a crash intentionally with injuries involved gets 15 years.

I've seen a person, with no arrest record whatsoever, who drank two beers at dinner, and got into a car crash. The car crash was NOT their fault, and was the fault of the other drunk driver, who ended up dying. They were arrested, and blew a 0.05 blood alcohol level, which is UNDER the legal limit in Florida. Charged with DUI vehicular manslaughter. Found guilty and sentenced to 25 years, for a crash that was NOT their fault. Is that justice?

A 60 plus year old white guy (the arrested guy in the original post) will be repeatedly victimized in a Texas prison. Is it OK, for a person to be repeatedly victimized for 15 years, for causing a car crash intentionally?

I'll be the last guy on earth to advocate for hug a thug policies, but whats right is right, and whats wrong is wrong. The govt gets it wrong. A lot.

Anything short of vivisection means he got off too easily.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I watched the entire 5 min or so video for the first time. The homeboy with the camera must have been a mile behind that first bike. It shows them speeding along that road for a long time before catching up...maybe 70-90 mph? And precisely when they caught up to the vehicles ahead of them is when the other bike moron decided to pass on the left.

So, in you your opinion, the driver of the car was within his rights to run the motorcycle off the road by sideswiping it with his car?

How did you come to that conclusion? I concluded that the bikers were morons looking to make the Darwin list. The car's driver was no better, and probably worse. There is no "right" in this event....just lots of "wrongs."

I concluded that the bikers were morons looking to make the Darwin list. The car's driver was no better, and probably worse. There is no "right" in this event....just lots of "wrongs."

Biker's wrong - committing a minor traffic infraction by passing on a double yellow.
Car driver's wrong - trying to kill somebody for committing minor traffic infraction.

Lot more than probably worse, as many people did the math from the viewpoint of the laws, and the formula's answer is 15 years in prison.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Sounds like a court room travesty, and lawyers who didn't know jack. A good reason to try and keep out of trouble with the law, you never know how convoluted things can become.

Happens all of the time here.

Look up Donte Stallworth.

An idiot runs across traffic like "Frogger" trying to catch a bus and is stuck by Stallworth's car. Stallworth tests for alchohol. Gets a DUI manslaughter because an idiot basically committed suicide on the front of his car.

Stallworth had a lot of money, which is the best way to get a slap on the wrist in South Florida. He only got 30 days in jail, but paid a massive settlement and lost his license for life.

The road involved, called the MacArthur Causeway, is probably the most dangerous road in the entire state to try to run across. I'd rather run across any of our Interstates than the MacArthur.

The really stupid thing is that the bus that run along the MacArthur Causeway comes quite frequently 24 hours a day.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Regardless of the situation, what we have here is a person who is willing to kill to settle a score.

This is not a person who should be walking free.

Exactly.

I'm sure many of us have been in similar situations with other drivers, but the difference is we acted in a civilized manner.

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
I was actually surprised to see an older guy, I was picturing a late teens to early 20's person. I agree with the sentencing because of the prior history people say he had and not showing remorse.

I agree.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
15 years is excessive

Lets see how you feel about that if it's you on your Yamaha.
I don't think he got long enough for such a deliberate act.

My guess is, anyone who thinks what this guy got is excessive is guilty of road rage themselves...

I see no difference between someone trying kill or meme with a vehicle or a firearm...having no remorse for what he did is icing on the cake...he should've been charged with and convicted of attempted murder...

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I watched the entire 5 min or so video for the first time. The homeboy with the camera must have been a mile behind that first bike. It shows them speeding along that road for a long time before catching up...maybe 70-90 mph? And precisely when they caught up to the vehicles ahead of them is when the other bike moron decided to pass on the left.

So, in you your opinion, the driver of the car was within his rights to run the motorcycle off the road by sideswiping it with his car?

How did you come to that conclusion? I concluded that the bikers were morons looking to make the Darwin list. The car's driver was no better, and probably worse. There is no "right" in this event....just lots of "wrongs."

Probably worse?
That's your conclusion?

The motorcyclist and his passenger were on a fun ride.
They had no intentions of interfering with anyone on the road.
They certainly did not intentionally swerve their vehicle, hit another vehicle, and cause it to crash, leading to severe injuries.

If you really think a motorcycle making a pass is PROBABLY as bad as someone INTENTIONALLY ramming a motorcyclist with a passenger, then you are most likely in need of professional assistance in understanding right from wrong.

Lets give you an alternative situation, and see what you think:

You are driving your most favorite car through a neighborhood.
You make a right turn at a stop sign without fully coming to a stop. You looked, and traffic was clear in all directions, there were no pedestrians at the intersection, and the squirrel was still on the fence across the road when you made the turn.

As it turns out, a lady was in her driveway, pruning her roses.
She saw you not stop for the sign, and made the right turn.
She reaches down, picks up a brick, throws it at your car, smashes through the passenger window, hits you in the face, breaking your jaw, which then causes you to crash your favorite car into a telephone pole.

So, were your actions worthy of being bricked by the rose lady?
Or is she probably more likely an unhinged nut job?

BC.

^^^ Good analogy. A flaw of human nature ... never seeing the logic until it happens to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back