Cops and traffic law enforcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some do not go out of their way to do their job. A bad interaction with a motorist angry at being pulled over can go sideways. It is not uncommon for LEOs to be accused in those situations of all sorts of things. Little upside for the officers and potential downside.
This is just sad. The message law enforcement is sending to the public by doing this is if you raise enough of a stink during a traffic stop, we'll just leave you alone because we don't want the hassles. This is actually encouraging more illegal behavior...

To me it's mostly due to a nationwide shortage in police officers and state troopers. In my home state of NC, the deputies and troopers still write traffic tickets all year long, but especially during the tourist season.

I think one has to identify which of the following below reasons a law enforcement official does.not initiate a traffic stop. It can be a reason other than the list below. Rarely do people not do what they are supposed to do out of laziness.

Take the time to read the list, good chance you will identify a possible reason a local law enforcement official is not initiating traffic stops.

They don’t know why they should do it

They don’t know how to do it

They don’t know what they are supposed to do

They think your way will not work

They think their way is better

They think something else is more important

There is no positive consequence to them for doing it

They think they are doing it

They are rewarded for not doing it

They are punished for doing what they are supposed to do

They anticipate a negative consequence for doing it

There is no negative consequence to them for poor performance

Obstacles beyond their control

Their personal limits prevent them from performing

Personal problems

No one could do it

It seems to me this got much worse after pandemic lock downs. I was an "essential" worker and I observed how aggressive drivers were once the traffic returned to normal. Not to sound sexist but young/middle aged women with a car seat in their CUV's are among the most dangerous right now, Between speeding (probably 90+ mph on the interstate) and cell phones they take the cake away from teenage and senile elderly drivers.....at least in my area.
I had one shake her fist at me when I was on my bicycle. Like it was annoying to her that I even existed and was on the road. I have thick skin but cringe when these people get carried away with their emotions. She clips me I’m confident her foot is on the gas and gone

Dealing with humans will wear you out. Even in EMS they wear you down with the constant lying and trying to shade you. The mental health of the nation is a worsening problem. Some of those patients left me exhausted.
Nowadays I prefer my environment much less peopley and spend time with my wife and our dog.

You know, I have to (I know it's not often that we agree) agree with grampi.

Enforcement of traffic laws has become a very local thing. Local police departments in some areas still do a good job and actually where we just moved, the State Police in NC coastal area near me is something I have not seen in god knows how long. I mean, Im in shock at the speed traps along RT 17/ Sometimes a second one out of site of the first one to fool those who step on the gas after the first one.
I have respect for law enforcement even when I am wrong I just do not see much of it except its pretty darn robust in our new area of our new home state.

Last early summer 2022 I did 7 trips to Florida looking at homes from my home state in SC.
The entire trip was interstate all the time and the only area (most times) I ever saw enforcement was some local police on the interstate in Georgia near the Florida state line, they were there all the time.
Other than that it was like the movie mad max *LOL* If you did the speed limit of 70 MPH you would take your life in your hand with cars coming up from behind you and passing. Typically 70 Mph I would hold it at 80 to 85 max.
My SUV always ran so smooth I briefly wanted to see what it felt like if I went faster, just briefly hit 97 and had room to go but backed off. Still was smooth ride.

... In my home state of NC, the deputies and troopers still write traffic tickets all year long, but especially during the tourist season.
Very cool, I just posted above this about NC. Yes, I am impressed at enforcement and it has slowed me down, I am very much aware of it now after having lived here only 6 weeks since moving into our new home and its kind of nice to see.

Very cool, I just posted above this about NC. Yes, I am impressed at enforcement and it has slowed me down, I am very much aware of it now after having lived here only 6 weeks since moving into our new home and its kind of nice to see.
One time there was an unknown individual banging on our front door yelling open the door. My wife was very freaked out and called the police. There were 2 Tahoes in our driveway within 60 seconds and the actor was in handcuffs. She was told the person was high on some substance and had been banging on multiple doors. I personally am thankful for the quick response.

As mentioned when I went to the station to get a DMV form signed, the officer shook my hand and introduced himself as “Chris.” Our officers are courteous and professional. I have heard our area is not where you want to drive drunk as there is a police presence.

I think one has to identify which of the following below reasons a law enforcement official does.not initiate a traffic stop. It can be a reason other than the list below. Rarely do people not do what they are supposed to do out of laziness.

Take the time to read the list, good chance you will identify a possible reason a local law enforcement official is not initiating traffic stops.

They don’t know why they should do it

They don’t know how to do it

They don’t know what they are supposed to do

They think your way will not work

They think their way is better

They think something else is more important

There is no positive consequence to them for doing it

They think they are doing it

They are rewarded for not doing it

They are punished for doing what they are supposed to do

They anticipate a negative consequence for doing it

There is no negative consequence to them for poor performance

Obstacles beyond their control

Their personal limits prevent them from performing

Personal problems

No one could do it
Good list but for #2 and the last one. I'd imagine every agency spends A LOT of time teaching how to properly conduct a car stop both in training and maybe in service training if the agency has that.

Are there ANY areas where cops enforce traffic laws anymore?
Plenty, just not where you live, it appears.
You might need to move if you want to live in a police state type of area.

I don't blame the officers for not being there 24/7, and I certainly don't want every other vehicle on the road to be a police car, because those officers need to be paid, and have pensions to accrue, and I don't feel the need to have my property taxes increased to live in your preferred level of police state.

Speaking of automated enforcement.

You should have seen the populace of our county lose their collective minds when our Sheriff and the School Board decided to install speed cameras in the 15 or so school zones around the county. They are only active when the school zone speed limits are active (Flashing lights on the speed signs), and only trigger on a +10mph over the limit. (I think, it has been a min, I can't remember completely). You would have thought the redcoats were here wanting to seize everyone's property. Pages and pages of complaints on the SO FaceBook page. 'So don't speed in the school zone' was the response to most of them.

One of the best things was a lady that posted to the FB page making a HUGE stink about how she wasn't speeding, how it was after hours, etc etc.

They released a 'well actually' post that basically called her out with facts. 'You were driving 60mph on a weekday during such and such time, ohh, and here's a picture of your car that is time and date stamped, slow down'

I'm not exactly sure how you can even begin to complain about cameras being used in that tightly constrained situation, but people will complain about ANYTHING we found out.

Our county has a few deputies that like nothing more than to nab DUI drivers, which is one part of traffic enforcement that I 110% agree with. My wife and kid drive these roads and I've seen enough fatalities to totally agree those people should be off the road ASAP.

We've had a traffic unit off and on over the years. I think they're starting to think about reactivating it as staffing levels come up for us. It would be nice. The main highway that cuts the county in half is a disaster waiting to happen most days. I like to drive fast, but I even avoid it if possible. There's too much stupid out there.

Reactions: Pew

You should have seen the populace of our county lose their collective minds when our Sheriff and the School Board decided to install speed cameras in the 15 or so school zones around the county. They are only active when the school zone speed limits are active (Flashing lights on the speed signs), and only trigger on a +10mph over the limit. (I think, it has been a min, I can't remember completely). You would have thought the redcoats were here wanting to seize everyone's property. Pages and pages of complaints on the SO FaceBook page. 'So don't speed in the school zone' was the response to most of them.

One of the best things was a lady that posted to the FB page making a HUGE stink about how she wasn't speeding, how it was after hours, etc etc.

They released a 'well actually' post that basically called her out with facts. 'You were driving 60mph on a weekday during such and such time, ohh, and here's a picture of your car that is time and date stamped, slow down'

I'm not exactly sure how you can even begin to complain about cameras being used in that tightly constrained situation, but people will complain about ANYTHING we found out.

Our county has a few deputies that like nothing more than to nab DUI drivers, which is one part of traffic enforcement that I 110% agree with. My wife and kid drive these roads and I've seen enough fatalities to totally agree those people should be off the road ASAP.

We've had a traffic unit off and on over the years. I think they're starting to think about reactivating it as staffing levels come up for us. It would be nice. The main highway that cuts the county in half is a disaster waiting to happen most days. I like to drive fast, but I even avoid it if possible. There's too much stupid out there.
Wish they’d do that here, people love to rip through school zones and even I won’t do that.

It’s when they throw speed cams up on interstates or state highways instead that I’m against.

If they put in some kind of nationwide camera enforcement system.. we are all screwed. (Enter the "I don't speed! Never!" types there.) Cameras are so accurate........

Come to NJ. The police mostly just sit here and watch, even if you see slightly more of them now.. the first week of the month, "on the 20th of every month" and then near the end of the month. They don't write NO tickets but almost none.

This post has me paying more attention to police in my town which is very easy with Waze. I live in a town of 17K just outside Worcester, MA with a very low crime rate. As far as I can tell, there are two patrol vehicles out at all times and nearly always one patrol vehicle somewhere on Main Street. The other vehicle tends to be parked in a few strategic locations and it is usually pretty active with stopping people. Even when not stopping people, the locations are high visibility areas that slows everyone down. We also have a state police barracks in town as well as several state police and several Worcester police who live in town and park their cruisers prominently at the bottom of their driveways. One trooper parks his cruiser on side of the road in front of his house to make it looks like he's monitoring speed. That cruiser is constantly showing up on Waze as if it's an active police vehicle. You really can't drive in town more than a few miles without seeing at least some police presence and the net result is we have some pretty decent traffic law-abiding citizens in town.

This post has me paying more attention to police in my town which is very easy with Waze. I live in a town of 17K just outside Worcester, MA with a very low crime rate. As far as I can tell, there are two patrol vehicles out at all times and nearly always one patrol vehicle somewhere on Main Street. The other vehicle tends to be parked in a few strategic locations and it is usually pretty active with stopping people. Even when not stopping people, the locations are high visibility areas that slows everyone down. We also have a state police barracks in town as well as several state police and several Worcester police who live in town and park their cruisers prominently at the bottom of their driveways. One trooper parks his cruiser on side of the road in front of his house to make it looks like he's monitoring speed. That cruiser is constantly showing up on Waze as if it's an active police vehicle. You really can't drive in town more than a few miles without seeing at least some police presence and the net result is we have some pretty decent traffic law-abiding citizens in town.

Weymouth MA was similar as was Quincy. Regular patrols, visible areas, minimal shenanigans. That was always left for I-93...

And +1, Waze is the way! Yes, every once in awhile you will get jokers that make false reports. Or mark police stations as "Police - visible" (doesn't matter if you hit "Visible" or "Hidden" it shows the same as an alert; people need to learn how to use "other side.") I treat every Waze alert as if it is valid.. worst case scenario is I have some cars that were running with me on the highway pass me. No big whoop. I'd rather be safe than sorry. With highway speeds regularly exceeding 90 (I'm sorry, they just do, the roads are like the Indy 500 ir F1 racing because there are twists and turns on highways here, that's not that much of an exaggeration) it's left to the drivers to police ourselves, there ARE ways to speed safely, and I'd rather fall back and show respect to law enforcement if they are posted up on the road.

Slow down for overpasses and anywhere there is a place they can turn around.

Drive like you don't have a detector OR Waze (Waze is better than a radar detector, honestly) when there isn't anyone on the road.

Don't speed in the rain.

On the trip to HPL.. I make sure I have bandwidth/data available to have Waze on. Through PA Rt 80.. You'll see anywhere from 0 to 3 police, one at the top of the hill around exit 290 or so, one in the middle of the State and maybe one around Pittsburgh, GWI or Gordon Ward Interchange. Construction zone speed camera somewhere around Exit 111. Then into Ohio.. keep it 5 over you should be OK.. do not speed in Montgomery County, speed limit drops to 65 and I got a ticket for 75 in a 65; 74 I'd probably have been OK although maybe not, it was 3a.m. Indiana pretty empty. Then you're in Illinois .

NJ really is kind of a free-for-all.

I'd totally agree on the speed cameras in school zones. Of all the stupid street racing I did when I was younger, we had a rule of never speeding through a school zone or construction zone.

Wish they’d do that here, people love to rip through school zones and even I won’t do that.

It’s when they throw speed cams up on interstates or state highways instead that I’m against.
It's sad to remark but a toddler was run over by a man in my town. He had neither drugs nor alcohol in his system.

So I would say the name of the game for him was liability. #1, numero uno. How does he stay afloat after this incident.

The priority is not the grieving family, shame in the community, etc. It's how to maintain his lifestyle and not lose the assets he's worked so hard to amass. Probably needed to get a new car because it has to be sickening to drive over a person. One would think hitting them would be a major cue to stop.

And it came down to this....not driving so fast in the parking lot, where the gym warned people for years that there are reports of speeding and careless driving.

I just have to remark, it's not wimpy to comply with speed limits. There's nothing to prove, sometimes it's ok to be courteous.

And I have thick skin. I get on the elevator at work and say good morning, it's often crickets. Especially from my observation if people are maybe under 30. You are not wimpy if you're polite, at least in my book.

Reactions: GON
I'd totally agree on the speed cameras in school zones. Of all the stupid street racing I did when I was younger, we had a rule of never speeding through a school zone or construction zone.
That's respectable. Everybody has morals and decency, at differing levels.

When I was 19 I was fearless. Got caught 155 in a 55. My buddy egged me on said the trooper will never catch us. Well, there are two things I learned that day. Motorola and Bell are a very effective combination. And that prison is the darkest experience I have ever known to this day. I did it again, that's 3 things.

You know how stupid I truly was? I argued with the toll booth collector saying I'm not paying, it's that guy who's gonna pay the toll, because this is not my exit. The trooper said we can put you in the back of my car now, and tow your car if you really want to do that, otherwise, you need to pay the toll (pre E-ZPass). We all grow up one day, I'd like to think I did.

It isn't all up to the police.
It's also up to us to behave and drive in a civilized manner.
Civility seems to have been in decline in our country and that decline seems to have been accelerated by the pandemic.
Driving stupid is no more nor less than incivility.
It is not up to the police to enforce the norms of civilized behavior, it's up to us, to include shaming and shunning those who drive like psychopaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back