Driver gets 15 years in Prison for Road Rage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I personally hope the guy dies in jail.

This..unfortunately he will get the best of medical service, 3 hots and a cot on the taxpayer dime.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I personally hope the guy dies in jail.

This..unfortunately he will get the best of medical service, 3 hots and a cot on the taxpayer dime.

Assuming he does his time down in Huntsville unit, "3 hots and a cot" is literally what he'll get, and it ain't all it' cracked up to be.

A dirty bunk bed in a gymnasium full of dirty bunk beds and dirtier prisoners, and located in the southern Texas coastal region, WITHOUT air-conditioning.

Suicides do occur from time to time, with the unbearable conditions being given as a reason.

Texas has one of the highest incarceration rates in the U.S. and has lots of privatized prisons. We LOVE imprisoning and executing people in this state. Glean whatever meaning you can from those stats.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Texas has one of the highest incarceration rates in the U.S. and has lots of privatized prisons. We LOVE imprisoning and executing people in this state. Glean whatever meaning you can from those stats.

I like it!

I watched the entire 5 min or so video for the first time. The homeboy with the camera must have been a mile behind that first bike. It shows them speeding along that road for a long time before catching up...maybe 70-90 mph? And precisely when they caught up to the vehicles ahead of them is when the other bike moron decided to pass on the left.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I watched the entire 5 min or so video for the first time. The homeboy with the camera must have been a mile behind that first bike. It shows them speeding along that road for a long time before catching up...maybe 70-90 mph? And precisely when they caught up to the vehicles ahead of them is when the other bike moron decided to pass on the left.

The bikers were morons but it doesn't justify what the guy did. But then, again, illegally passing on double lines could have endangered people driving on the other side so he might have done some service to people. Hopefully these idiots will stop acting like fools on the road.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

So, in you your opinion, the driver of the car was within his rights to run the motorcycle off the road by sideswiping it with his car?

That's just sickening! He could have killed those two people and all he says after it happens is "Trying to pass in a no passing zone.... I don't care. I don't care"

I've had people pass me plenty of times in a no passing zones. They are in the wrong IF something happens. They could have an emergency situation for all I know so I'm not going to put myself in danger (or trouble) by trying to intervene.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
They could have an emergency situation for all I know so I'm not going to put myself in danger (or trouble) by trying to intervene.

Well said!

My sister called me in the middle of the night one time telling me she can't breathe and what her location was. She stopped on the side of the road. I was gunning it with my hazards on and thankfully everyone moved out of the way and didn't fuss. I got there before the EMS crew did and was able to tilt her seat back and help her breathe a little better.

You never know why someone's in a hurry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
But then, again, illegally passing on double lines

Its not illegal to pass on a double line. Only "No Passing" signs make it illegal. If you have a clear 500 ft. available when you overtake the passed vehicle its legal in Pa.

Last edited:
*SIGH* the discussion has predictably devolved to the point of becoming (even more) unproductive I fear...

Fellow BITOG'ers, if we are going to continue to discuss this topic, i implore you to consider these bullet points when doing so:

1. unless the motorcycle rider and passenger were actively threatening the car driver somehow, his actions were illegal and he should be punished for them according to the laws in place. He does not have the authority to enforce any traffic laws or city ordinances while driving on public roads, and so any actions he took that could be construed as such are illegal as well.

In other words, he is not a cop, a DA, or a judge, and so he cannot find and punish people he sees breaking the law. Any attempts to do so are also illegal and would have been prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law if the Hood county DA thought he could make the case.

2. if the motorcycle rider and passenger were engaged in unsafe behavior (and clearly they were) and/or breaking any local/state traffic laws at the time of the incident (again, it's clear they were in violation of several), then it is the sworn duty of the district attorney of Hood county to investigate and bring charges if he feels it is in the best interest of his client, the county of Hood, TX.

Further any ordinances or traffic laws they broke are not relevant in the driver's case, unless the act of them breaking those laws somehow threatened the life of the car driver such that he was in immediate fear for his safety and had to respond in self-defense. That was not the case, and anyone who watches the video can see that right away.

3. whether we like it or not, and for better or worse, we have moved forward as a society and away from the days when it was considered acceptable to "teach someone a lesson" or "defend my honor" in the face of threats, bad language, false accusations, etc.

If I see someone in public who is clearly in need of an attitude adjustment, arguably for his own good, I would love to dish one out to him for all to see. But I cannot, because then I will be breaking the law and will be held accountable while he goes free. That wasn't the case 100 years ago, but it is now. That's where we have ended up, so we have to live with it.

Were the kids on the motorcycles engaging in astoundingly dangerous and idiotic behavior that day? Yes, without a doubt.

Does that automatically mean we should accept normal citizens dishing out their own justice for such actions when they are observed, which in this case includes being assaulted and injured/killed? No, absolutely not.

The bottom line is that the man in the car committed some very serious crimes, and he was given his day in court to defend himself against the charges that accused him of those crimes. He was not successful, mostly because the evidence is overwhelming that he was guilty of the crimes alleged. He was then given a punishment in accordance to the laws we have put in place to govern ourselves with.

Some will say he was punished too harshly; some will say he got off easy. Either way, he is guilty and will be punished. Any attempts to bring the motorcycle riders' behavior into that discussion serves only to confuse it and ultimately makes no sense. Their crimes could have been dealt with in the same process as his, but they were not. That is the decision of the DA. If we disagree with it, we can vote him out or otherwise make it known he did not serve his client's best interest with his actions. Whatever we say or do about that subject is separate from the driver's though. Apples to oranges; dogs to cats; cars to bicycles...or motorcycles in this case (sorry, couldn't resist).

Originally Posted By: Matagonka
They could have an emergency situation for all I know so I'm not going to put myself in danger (or trouble) by trying to intervene.

Well said!

My sister called me in the middle of the night one time telling me she can't breathe and what her location was. She stopped on the side of the road. I was gunning it with my hazards on and thankfully everyone moved out of the way and didn't fuss. I got there before the EMS crew did and was able to tilt her seat back and help her breathe a little better.

You never know why someone's in a hurry.

Glad everything worked out the way it did for you and your sister. Having the hazards on and speeding is a clear sign of an emergency to me, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
But then, again, illegally passing on double lines

Its not illegal to pass on a double line. Only "No Passing" signs make it illegal. If you have a clear 500 ft. available when you overtake the passed vehicle its legal in Pa.

There seems to be some debate about this due to lack of clarity in wording, and contradictions between sources. For example, this is from the PA drivers' manual.

"A double, solid yellow centerline shows the center of a twoway
road. Even if it is not marked with a NO PASSING sign,
passing by traffic traveling in either direction is not allowed on
roads marked in this manner."

Although I have also seen what you said in official documents. PA needs to clean this up, one way or the other. I doube there are many places with a double yellow where you have an unobstructed view for 500 ft. One might think one does, but there could cars coming off of side streets or from a driveway obscured by bushes for example.

Seems like every time you see one of these "enforcer" types, they look just like this guy. He's lucky there was nobody killed or he'd be looking at vehicular manslaughter at least, and I would argue, murder. I've had them pull this [censored] on me when passing legally, happened just last week, almost got sideswiped.

That's just sickening! He could have killed those two people and all he says after it happens is "Trying to pass in a no passing zone.... I don't care. I don't care"

I've had people pass me plenty of times in a no passing zones. They are in the wrong IF something happens. They could have an emergency situation for all I know so I'm not going to put myself in danger (or trouble) by trying to intervene.

So his line of "thinking" is that trying to pass in a no passing zone is wrong, but intentionally crossing a double yellow line into the path of another vehicle is just fine. Idiotic jerk belongs in prison for a long, long time.

Originally Posted By: The_Nuke
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
15 years is excessive

He was found guilty of
1) aggravated assault with a deadly weapon for what he did to the motorcycle driver, and
2) aggravated assault with a deadly weapon causing bodily injury for what he did to the motorcycle passenger (she had serious medical issues resulting from the crash).

He showed no remorse for his actions on the day this happened, and he has a history of similar events where he put others' lives in danger with his inability to control his anger while driving.

Add all that up, and then factor in that the trial took place in a small-town, Texas courtroom, and I am honestly surprised he only got 15 years.

Personally, I would have rather they given him a 15 for both counts, to be served consecutively. That way he actually serves more than a decade in prison, which is the minimum amount of actual prison time anyone behaving like that should get IMHO.

But with the 15 years in total sentence he was given, it's not out of the realm of possibilities that he's out of prison in 7-8 years after catching parole. That is completely unacceptable to me, but that's just my feeling on it, so whatever...

I have a lot of time working in the criminal justice system. Its hardly justice, when a murderer gets out in less than 3 years(happens all the time), and a guy causing a crash intentionally with injuries involved gets 15 years.

I've seen a person, with no arrest record whatsoever, who drank two beers at dinner, and got into a car crash. The car crash was NOT their fault, and was the fault of the other drunk driver, who ended up dying. They were arrested, and blew a 0.05 blood alcohol level, which is UNDER the legal limit in Florida. Charged with DUI vehicular manslaughter. Found guilty and sentenced to 25 years, for a crash that was NOT their fault. Is that justice?

A 60 plus year old white guy (the arrested guy in the original post) will be repeatedly victimized in a Texas prison. Is it OK, for a person to be repeatedly victimized for 15 years, for causing a car crash intentionally?

I'll be the last guy on earth to advocate for hug a thug policies, but whats right is right, and whats wrong is wrong. The govt gets it wrong. A lot.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I've seen a person, with no arrest record whatsoever, who drank two beers at dinner, and got into a car crash. The car crash was NOT their fault, and was the fault of the other drunk driver, who ended up dying. They were arrested, and blew a 0.05 blood alcohol level, which is UNDER the legal limit in Florida. Charged with DUI vehicular manslaughter. Found guilty and sentenced to 25 years, for a crash that was NOT their fault. Is that justice?

Sounds like a court room travesty, and lawyers who didn't know jack. A good reason to try and keep out of trouble with the law, you never know how convoluted things can become.

They guy intentionally tried to seriously injure or kill people, so yeah 15 years in prison is fair. How many years of pain will these injuries cost? What about the arthritis that almost always sets in later with these trauma injuries that ruins quality of life? How many years will that last? Although the bikers were also acting recklessly, but it still wouldn't have happened without the willful actions of the car driver.

Whether he's "repeatedly victimized" is another matter, no he shouldn't be. But he also doesn't belong in society. Do the crime, do the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back