Dremel saw Max- Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a Dremel Saw Max for christmas. Used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. IMO, it is too lightweight for any serious work. It used two $20 multi-purpose blades to cut 2 sheets of 1/4 plywood and 1 sheet of 1/4 drywall into strips and odd shaped pieces. Handle got so hotIi could hardly hold it and it would not easily hold a cutting depth. Kept slipping to a deeper cut. BTW, it even came with the wrong manual?

Dremel had me send it back at their cost for evaluation. I hope they replace it. Even so, I may never get another new type of Dremel tool again.

I've got a couple of Dremel rotary tools...great for what they are: lightweight, small tools...I have a die grinder for serious cutting jobs.

I've seen the SawMax at Lowe's...had the same impression: small job, limited power.

Just got a Makita 18v LiIon Multi-tool.

All the 12v, and smaller corded ones like the Dremel, looked like they would be good for cutting out one hole, one small job....but I was cutting plywood and removing old vinyl floors. Took a chance with the Porter-Cable 12v, used it for about 4 charges on each battery, and killed it. Both batteries dead, wouldn't recharge. Returned it at Lowe's (who generously took it back) where I had bought it 6 days prior.

And went with the 18v Makita (bought on Amazon, couldn't find it locally). Sometimes, you just need a full-sized/full-power tool for the job...

I have a 120V AC Drumel rotary tool that I had for many years now. It comes in handy every once in a while. The various bits are good for a variety of jobs. I use to use the thin chocolate neco wafer type cutting wheels, and about a year ago the coupling for the output drive inside of the tool gave out. I heard about the new quick replacement cutting wheels about the same time. I had to wait about six months for Drumel to get the output coupling part, and along with it I ordered the new quick change cut off wheel chuck and both plastic and metal cutting wheels for it. The new quick change cutting wheels are much better than the old chocolate neco wafer type. They do not break and they cut much more material before they wear down.

Years ago, I cut off a lug nut from a neighbors car after a relative completely rounded off the outside of the lug nut by using the wrong size tire iron on it. The neighbor said it would be OK to damage the rim if I had to, and I did not know if I could cut the nut without cutting the rim, but the small ball type milling bit was able to get down into the recess of the lug nut in the rim. I took about a half-hour but the rim and stud were not damaged when I got the nut to split from the cutting. The small ball end mill bit was totally worn out after that job, but it did the trick.

Just about a month ago, a neighbor needed a lock cut off of her garage. The new quick change chuck with a metal cutting disk made short work of it. It took more time to run an extension cord, put on the breathing and eye protection, and retrieve the cord, than it took to cut off the lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back