Battery Powered Circular Saw

What would you guys recommend? I go to metal fabrication shops and collect scrap metal for my welding hobby. A lot of times I have to put metal back into the bin because it won't fit in the trunk of my car. A circular saw would be a big help. My primary circular saw at home is a corded Skil worm drive with a Diablo metal cutting blade. That blade cuts through 1/4 inch steel like butter. It's almost shocking how well these new metal cutting blades do. They cut steel just as fast as a wood cutting blade cuts lumber.

Last edited:
Do you already have other cordless tools which use a particular battery platform? I use DeWalt 20V, for no particular reason other than first buying an impact driver/drill combo kit with two batteries and a charger on sale.

I've only used my neighbors milwaukee 6.25 inch 18vdc saw a few times, and was used to direct drive mMakita and worm drive mag77 skil at the time. Its been a while and no comparison to other battery saws.

I went with Ridgid drill and driver with two 2.0ah batteries for 140$ in March thjs year, , and then shortly after Ridgid angle grinder with 2 4.0ah batteries and charger for 179$.
Home depot short lived 'exclusive deals'.

Since then went with some makita lawn tools.
I have recently acquired battery adapters.
I can use my Ridgid batteries to power Makita tools or the Makita batteries to power the Ridgid tools.
I also have a ridgid to Ryobi adapter as my old man has ryobi blower and i like the compact ryobi 18v compressor with tank idea.

I am not limiting myself to any one tool brand, based on a single baTtery system anymore.

The adapters range from 15 to 25$. So many options.
Some are 3D Printed here, in the states.
Can't recharge the batteries using adapters though.

I'm eyeballing some milwaukee 'tool only' options and will get either Ridgid to MW or Makita to MW adapters at that point, or perhps both, as options are wonderful.

Ridgid 4.0 ah batteries and charger often go on sale for under 100$ and if registered within 90 days of purchase, have lifetime service agreement.

I know an 84 year old carpenter who is using a Ridgid 18v 7.25" battery saw.
I respect his opinion, and experience.
He says he likes it, a lot.

He didn't know about the battery adapters till i told him, but he went with Ridgid impact driver and saw,, when his Dewalt batteries needed replacement.

He has since ordered more Ridgid batteries, and Ridgid to Dewalt adapters.

The common recommendation is to choose one tool brand so all batteries work, but the adapters nullify much of that.

The Dewalt or Ryobi battery to other tool options add ~2" to the height of the battery, and can affect balance, and might not fit all tools.

My ridgid to Makita or Ryobi adPter thickness is not a factor, nor is the maKita to Ridgid, and while the added connections of an adapter, add electrical resistance which reduce performance, most will never notice the slight loss of voltage to the motor or slightly reduced run time by using one.

One thing to keep in mind is dewalt '20v' tools are still using nominal 18v batteries, 5 cells in series. The '20v' is just marketing. They do not have more energy potential than 18v systems.

My ridgid batteries come off charger at 20.49v and shut down at 16v.
5 cells at 4.2v is 21v. So they are preventing 100% charge in order to get more cycles from the batteries.

I need to check the voltage of makita batteries warm off charger, and when the low voltage disconnect activates, just have not, yet.

My ridgid chargers, come with a wall wart with about 6 feet of 22 awg to charge cradle. Wall wart says 18v and 60 watts.

Wall wart output is actually 20.49v and basically 40 watts max.

I used a different dc power supply, set to 20.49v, powering cradle, yes knowingly voiding warranty. Exceeded 200 waTts into well depleted battery, before blowing fuse inside cradle.

I added an inline fuse holder. Cradle works fine still.

Both my '60 watt' Ridgid wall warts, are limited to 40 watts output.
The charge cradle can handle more, but i forsee few instances where i will need faster recharge times, but off grid, i can power cradle via 12vdc system, using my voltage booster, no inverter needed.

Happy tool hunting

Last edited:
Also I should say all this carbide tipped circular blade stuff is great -- until it's not.

A portaband will cut even when abused. Abrasives can wear quickly but they're inexpensive.

Carbide tipped will put you in the poor house and screams like a banshee. Some guys love it but it's not for me. Yes, I use carbide EM's and insert mills in my vertical mills bit that's VERY different

What would you guys recommend? I go to metal fabrication shops and collect scrap metal for my welding hobby. A lot of times I have to put metal back into the bin because it won't fit in the trunk of my car. A circular saw would be a big help. My primary circular saw at home is a corded Skil worm drive with a Diablo metal cutting blade. That blade cuts through 1/4 inch steel like butter. It's almost shocking how well these new metal cutting blades do. They cut steel just as fast as a wood cutting blade cuts lumber.

I'm a Makita guy so Id say the 40V 7.25 rear or top handle.

I dont think you'll find anything that will cut metal like a mag 77 but you'll get decent performance from the 40V Mak.

I bought my kid a Ryobi from Home Depot and he likes it has that one system and 6.0 amp hour batteries seems to last
I second the Ryobi. The batteries are a little on the heavy side compared to the Dewalts but seem to have great blade options and power. Iove my Ryobi

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far guys. For those who don't know, the metal cutting circular saw blade is way faster than even the thinnest 4.5 inch cutoff wheel. I use both depending on what I'm doing. The only drawback of the circular saw blade is that the fragmented metal particles can be somewhat painful if wearing a short sleeve shirt.

If you’ve got a battery system, stick with it.

Otherwise, Makita. They basically invented cordless power tools over 40 years ago.

I’ve got a Makita lawnmower, hedge trimmer, string trimmer, two reciprocating saws, two oscillating multi tools, a jig saw, a 1/2” impact wrench, two blowers, three impact drivers, and five drills. All Makita. All the same battery system.

Durable, powerful, well made tools. I got my first Makita in 1982.

You won’t regret a Makita.

I only use the circulars for ripping plate when I can't jig up the plasma. Doesn't make sense for dimensional stuff like pipe, sq tube, angle, channel. Too easy to chip a tooth or pinch the blade.

I'm looking at these two right now. I can't tell the difference other than the blade.

Amazon

Amazon

Looks like the blade - prob a good saw.

Dont know anyone thats had one for a significant time.

I dont see much other than the saw on that battery ecosystem.

Last edited:
If you’ve got a battery system, stick with it.

Otherwise, Makita. They basically invented cordless power tools over 40 years ago.

I’ve got a Makita lawnmower, hedge trimmer, string trimmer, two reciprocating saws, two oscillating multi tools, a jig saw, a 1/2” impact wrench, two blowers, three impact drivers, and five drills. All Makita. All the same battery system.

Durable, powerful, well made tools. I got my first Makita in 1982.

You won’t regret a Makita.

Really hard to beat.
Ive got saws in the bags.

IMG_4420.jpeg
IMG_4426.jpeg
IMG_4425.jpeg
IMG_4424.jpeg
IMG_4423.jpeg
IMG_4422.jpeg
IMG_4421.jpeg

I have the dual battery (36v) makita circular saw. It’s a worm drive style. Works great. Rebuilt a 120ft long, 10-bay garage with it.
Got the same saw - it's a beast. Id prefer a 40V, but not so much Im getting off this one. I cant outrun it in stuff I do.

Actually I got the saw for free. Same with the battery blower.

In both cases bought 4- 5 AH batteries and the saw/ & blower came with it.

There are deals to be had with Makita when you know what to look for and what the specials are.

Ive had Ryobi and Dewalt stuff.
I wore out a dewalt saw building a deck and a shed- wouldnt have happened with a mak.
I never see tradesmen with Ryobi gear.

Looks like the blade - prob a good saw.

Dont know anyone thats had one for a significant time.

I dont see much other than the saw on that battery ecosystem.
So much this. I can't see why anyone would get into a "Skil" cordless system?

Why are we looking at wood saws to cut metal anyway? Most of them have plastic parts that will eventually suffer from hot chips. There's a reason manufacturers make metal cutting circulars, and it's not for a money-grab.

I've got both M18 versions -- the small 5-7/8" and the big 8". The latter shown here:

Makita's fine but Milwaukee's warranty is better ;) Sorry, it's true

Makita's fine but Milwaukee's warranty is better ;) Sorry, it's true

I dont even know what the warranty is on Makita products??

In 40 years of use, I've never had one break, or had to take one in for service.

Im OK with the Milwaukee stuff, prob the second best cordless line out there....:)

Reactions: D60
I own the 18v rigid saw and like it a lot. It’s my go-to and the corded stays on the shelf unless I’m cutting more than a 2x4. I compared to the ryobi but like most of the tools between the two, the rigid had more metal in it. The weak spot is probably the plastic blade guard, so I set it down carefully every time. I’ve built a number of decently large projects with it, folded subwoofers, bathroom vanity, so many shelves, rebuilt part of my deck - I like the saw and would give the recommendation for it.

I also bought their 18v jigsaw, which is extremely right-sized for a jigsaw. I was coming from one made around 1973, so obviously the technology has progressed from what I was used to, but by all means it’s been a great tool.

Back