Circular saw

I don't know much about woodworking but I would like to make some simple freestanding shelving unit.

Cutting big box store 2x4 and 5/8 sheet of MDF would be the most I would think.

Most Lowes/HD have a panel saw to cut my 4x8 sheets down. But then once I get them home I most likely will need to trim some. I don't believe my stores will cut 2x4.

I'm not attached to any brand. But currently, I'm looking at the corded saws. The beauty of the corded saw would be i could use it again in the next 5-10 years and not worry bout a battery going dead or having power/run time issues. I figure I wouldn't use this saw often as I'm a home DIY, not a home builder. Ideally, I would rather have a miter saw but that would be nearly double the cost and a waste of space.

Any decent recommendations, I don't think I'll be using it too much so I would like to stay near $100 budget. I also might need a blade recommendation. I guess if the cordless ones are cheap enough, I could consider it.

Dewalt DWE575SB seems to be a solid choice or a Porter Cable PCE310 for half the cost.

check out Harbor Freight ..they have a low priced saw or check out your local craigs list...people sell off circular saws there pretty cheap

Yep, I have this model and it does everything I need it to.

I was going to buy the cheaper model with laser, but this was right during the first of the Covid thing when China was still shut down and they didn't have any in stock. $48 after coupon. I'm not professionally building anything so it will likely last as long as I need it to.

Makita is about the best circular saw you can buy. I would buy a jig that you can clamp on the panels and cut away.

+1 on Makita. Very smooth and well balanced, with plenty of power. However if only using occasionally a lower price unit may be fine. I have been very impressed with Ryobi tools, which IMO is one of the better budget-friendly brands. Regardless of which brand you buy, get a Diablo blade (Home Depot) appropriate for your needs. From what you described, this will be a 40+ tooth blade (maybe 60 if you want a smooth cut).

I have done a lot of woodworking through the years and let me give you my 2 cents. For the type of work you describe, I would go with 2 tools. One is a 4 1/2" circular saw. Worx and Delta make a nice one. These little saws have transformed how I do most of my woodworking. They can cut the 3/4" sheet and a 2 x 4, no problem. And very easy to handle. The second tool is a miter saw, preferably a sliding style. Now just to note, you won't be doing fine furniture with the 4 1/2" circular saw but for simple projects like shelving, it is the way to go.

Depends on how much you do with a circular saw. I have a Skill corded and Dewalt 20V. The dewalt gets used 95 percent of the time. Much easier with a battery powered saw.

Also get yourself some cutting guides from Harbor freight regardless of the saw you buy. Freud blades are pretty good.

They will definitely cut 2x4 at most if not all stores. But that is more to get it to a size that will fit in a vehicle, don't expect finishing cuts to exact dimensions.
Circular saws aren't that expensive. And that's cool they have laser guides didn't know that was a thing.

The Porter Cable with magnesium shoe is a good buy for $70. Old line company for saws like Milwaukee and Skil, made by Black and Decker like DeWalt. I would get it from Lowes with free shipping and if have a Lowes card, 5% off. Get a framing square too to cut the boards straight. A circular saw and a pencil line are reasonably ok for long panel cuts. The blade is included and will last a long time, Just put the good side down on thin paneling so any chipping is on the bad side.

I have a cheapo Ryobi that gets the job done. I think I bought a new blade immediately for it but don't remember now. I have yet to buy a guide, instead I just keep a straight 2x4 around to clamp down for that purpose--I guess a 2x3 would work but good luck finding a straight one--that 2x4 plus a couple of c-clamps has been working for me. 3 or 4 straight 2x4's is good to keep around, toss 3 or 4 under a sheet of plywood in the garage floor, use one more for a guide, set the blade to just go through the plywood being cut, done.

Just posted my VERY old Craftsman circular saw for sale the other day. How old? It was made in the USA! I don't even think China existed at the time.
Craftsman Circular Saw Label.jpg

I have an old 7-1/4" Black and Decker that cost around 45 bucks, been working for 30 years NP. Best investment is in a good blade. I got a midline milwalkee for 9 bucks. Best 9 bucks ever spent on a tool! Cuts like butter - and clean.
As far as shelving boards go, watch the span - they will likely sag at 5 feet long unless you add a spine to their underside.

Have fun - and keep you fingers ! - Ken

Last edited:
just get a skill or ryobi at the $40 or $50 range.. will last 20 years in homeowner use.

do get the 7 1/4 size

I bought a Rigid 7 1/4, partly because of the lifetime warranty. The roll pin that the depth setting pivots on fell out before I even used it. Returned that and purchased the Dewalt in the OP's post. Very nice saw and light weight.

Can’t go wrong with Makita, DeWalt, or Porter-Cable.

I’ve got a 7 1/4” Porter-Cable, with the magnesium shoe. Decades old. Durable. Precise. Well-designed. Still works great.

Back