Miter saw question

I have a 20+ year old B&D miter saw. Nothing fancy. Take a 9" blade and has a 5/8" arbor.

I need to make nice cuts on some aluminum channels for under cabinet LED lighting.

So I need an aluminum cutting blade. 9" is an odd size even looking on Amazon. I found one but has 1" arbor. So I bought a 1" to 5/8" arbor adapter.

The blade is held in place by cup shape washers.

Loose the arbor adapter could easily slide to the right or left still staying within the cup washer.

However when tightened the blade will hopefully be held tight by the cup washers and it would not matter if the arbor adapter slid to the left or right so it was no longer inside the blade 1" hole. The cup washers won't let the blade move.

So basically the arbor adapter is only needed until the cup washers clamp the blade tight.

Comments?

My alternatives are to get a blade for my 10" table saw and install a 220v outlet for the saw.

Buy a Milwaukee M18 cordless miter saw.

Find some washers or additional arbor adapters to go on either side of the one in the blade hole.

I need to cut maybe 10 aluminum channels then done. May not use it again.

Attachments

• PXL_20230309_124551615.jpg
    PXL_20230309_124551615.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 7
If your arbor/cup washers hold the blade securely without wobbling, I would go with that. To cut the aluminum, you will need a blade made to cut non-ferrous metal with many teeth---they are slightly thicker (wider) for added strength. If you cant get one at the big box stores. then for sure get a carbide-toothed blade. It wouldn't hurt to get a wax stick (lubricant) for the blade as well. If all else fails, a hacksaw will do the job, then use a file to remove any burrs. Good luck !!

The arbor adapter situation sounds dangerous to me unless you fo the additional washer fix. If the blade moves just a bit it seems it could grab on to the metal and who knows what might happen (to you).

EDIT: The problem is not blade wobble. The potential is for the blade to become non concentric on the arbor.

Last edited:
The arbor adapter situation sounds dangerous to me unless you fo the additional washer fix. If the blade moves just a bit it seems it could grab on to the metal and who knows what might happen (to you).

EDIT: The problem is not blade wobble. The potential is for the blade to become non concentric on the arbor.

Agreed--I would think that condition is as noticeable as would be if it were to wobble.

Get a smaller high tooth count blade that takes a 5/8 arbor. Run it backwards. Lay the aluminum on a piece of scrap wood to make up for the difference in diameter.

I had to trim 27 steel rails for Akro-Mills hanging parts boxes for the 5S project at work. I tried using a metal cutting blade on my table saw. Super slow and made a heck of a racket.

I got my manager to fund a Makita chop saw. Ten minutes and the job as done (including deburr). After 5S was implemented, I asked my manager about what to do with the saw.

"What chop saw?" **wink*wink*nudge*nudge*

I still have that saw. Very useful tool.

I cut the first aluminum channel and so issues with the arbor adapter glued in.

I held the blade with a leather glove and tightened the nut holding the blade with an impact wrench. It's on there tight.

Back