Drain Plug Problem - HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTM

I am in the middle of an oil change (for the first time on my Volvo with 108,000 miles) and noticed the oil drain plug is really strange. The last time I had it done it was with the local Volvo dealer. I can't imagine why they wouldn't have just put a regular bolt on instead of this goofy thing that looks stripped.

I was expecting to find a big bolt that I could undo with my socket wrench but instead it's round and the inside is pretty much round too.

Can somebody look at the pics below and make some suggestions as to how I can get the drain plug out? I've tried pliers but the metal of the bolt just gives and doesn't unscrew.

NOTE: The drain plug is 19 MM in diameter.

-

-

[ October 03, 2003, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: JTM ]

Looks like it used to be a torx or allen head. First I'd go get a new plug. Then find a torx head socket big enough that it doesn't quite fit and bang it into the hole with a hammer. If you have access to air tools, use an air wrench to loosen it, the shock should break it loose without spinning the socket you pounded in. Good luck. One more reason to never let Iffy Lube work on one's car.

The first thing I would do is buy another plug or at least make sure one is available. That may also give you a clue of how it is supposed to come out. I won't quibble with those that suggest a Fugimoto?. It looks to me like the center still retains some of the hex for an Allen wrench. Likely a 10 mm. I would buy a slight oversize Allen socket, perhaps a 7/16'' for a 10 mm. Grind a little taper on the end and drive it in. Maybe that will give you enough bite to remove it. If that fails, I would try a punch or chisel working tangentially on it. That often works wonders. You might also try a pipe wrench on the outside of what sticks out. I would be very disappointed in a dealer that stripped the oil drain plug in an expensive car.

I have had problems with steel plugs in the aluminum transmission housing of my truck. Fortunately they have a nice big 24 mm hex that is a nice tight fit in a 6 point 15/16'' socket. Somebody here suggested antisieze for it.

While eating dinner Mrchecker has suggested much of what I already had written.

Thanks for the help guys. Do you think if I tried using a 10mm or 7/16" allen wrench I could mess it up a lot more? I was thinking of taking it back to Volvo and asking them to take that crappy plug out and put a real one in. I am really curious to know why they (Parkway Volvo in Wilmington, NC) would put this stripped plug in and not put a new one in. I even bought one the other day just in case I messed up the existing one, so you'd think since they have a whole bin of them they would have thought to have done this.

I tried using pliers to grip onto the outside of the bolt, but the metal just wore away.

If I end up taking it back to Volvo (since they're the last ones who touched it), I'm going to be royally pissed if they try to tell me I'm going to have to pay for a new oil pan.

Maybe letting the dealer undo their damage is the best thing. I mentioned making sure you can get another one because it will be messed up but good after you try my way.

Nothing beats a nice big hex and a 6 point socket.

Seeing as how the dealer was the last one to see this, bring it back to them to get it undone and tell them that you need a new drain plug since the condition they left it in was impossible for you to work with.

One of my last "Jiffy Lube" type experiences revolved aroud using some aftermarket drain plug with only a 12 mm head that head been partially stripped put on by a gorilla. I returned to the place, had them do another oil change and got a new 16mm plug put back on and made sure it was loose enough for me to get off next time.

If you decide to get it out yourself, the correct way would be to use an EZout. You can buy a set at Sears or some auto parts places. EZouts have saved my butt many times.

[ October 04, 2003, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: garyb80 ]

I have one of these Damanged Screw Remover but it looks like it's only for wood. Will it work on the drain plug?

What do you mean by manual impactor?

[ October 05, 2003, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: JTM ]

Other than the dealer doing it-which is what I would recommend. Fitst try the oversize allen wrench and use a manual impactor-you will need shock to get this puppy off. Abd yes the E-Z out is the right way to go-but if you bust it----ummmmm
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

It's quite likely that the plug is not on super tight. From the looks of it they round3ed it off removing it. You should be able to get it
smile.gif

[ October 05, 2003, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back