Down sizing from 20" to 18" for winter tires.

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
My 21 Honda Pilot comes stock with 20 inch wheels. I am will be buying a set of winter wheels/tires and am contemplating downsizing to 18" from 20". My logic is that the taller sidewall will help with the ride comfort and maybe even protect the suspension better since the roads in my area are poorly maintained, potholes appear overnight in some areas! Should I expect a difference in handling or ride comfort?

The tires will be Blizzak DMV2's if anyone can chime in on their experience with these.

I did exactly that for our '21 Explorer - the stock wheels are 20" and I went to an 18" wheel for winter tires. Wheels and tires are cheaper in the smaller diameter and buys some sidewall for pothole season. The ride will be less firm and not as sporty, but not enough that I care. Lower trims of the explorer come with the wheel size and tire size that our winter tires are. No issues with brake clearance or need to change speedometer. Easy peasy...

Our last explorer was the same way - regular wheels were 17", we went with 16" wheels on the winter tires. Same reasons. No issues in 9+ years.

Considering some trims of the Pilot has 18" wheels, it won't be an issue.
I think smaller size will also help with keeping out the snow from the inside of the wheels. With the 20"s, once I got some snow from driving sideways into deep snow, it froze and put the wheels off balance. I'm might even coat or wax the inside of the wheel barrel with something to help keep the snow from sticking.

I did exactly that for our '21 Explorer - the stock wheels are 20" and I went to an 18" wheel for winter tires. Wheels and tires are cheaper in the smaller diameter and buys some sidewall for pothole season. The ride will be less firm and not as sporty, but not enough that I care. Lower trims of the explorer come with the wheel size and tire size that our winter tires are. No issues with brake clearance or need to change speedometer. Easy peasy...

Our last explorer was the same way - regular wheels were 17", we went with 16" wheels on the winter tires. Same reasons. No issues in 9+ years.
Awesome, glad to see it worked out, I think that's what I will do.

My 21 Honda Pilot comes stock with 20 inch wheels. I am will be buying a set of winter wheels/tires and am contemplating downsizing to 18" from 20". My logic is that the taller sidewall will help with the ride comfort and maybe even protect the suspension better since the roads in my area are poorly maintained, potholes appear overnight in some areas! Should I expect a difference in handling or ride comfort?
yes

I think smaller size will also help with keeping out the snow from the inside of the wheels. With the 20"s, once I got some snow from driving sideways into deep snow, it froze and put the wheels off balance. I'm might even coat or wax the inside of the wheel barrel with something to help keep the snow from sticking.
The smaller size won't help with the snow buildup inside the wheels. Still going to happen.

Our 2009 Mazda 5 came with the upgraded 17" alloy wheels with 50-series tires. On the upside, great handling. On the downside, harsh ride, hard on front-end parts, and hard to tell visually when the tire has lost air.

I went with 16" steelies and 55-series winter tires, and later went to 16" alloys and 55-series tires for 3-season use.

Considered 15" wheels too, but had concerns about caliper clearance.

The 16" wheels were standard on lower trim levels, so knew they'd fit.

I haven't noticed any difference in handling with the slightly taller sidewalls.

In short, if they fit, I recommend less wheel and more sidewall.

17's are also an option.
245/65r17

I would probably get the a different tire vs the old model blizzaks.(been out for 5+ years)
the dmv2 are old model and their lateral traction is average for winter tire. I own a set myself. They are really good on ice but in some other conditions do not perform at a class leading level.. Other tires have caught and passed them.

The real steal is the conti vikingcontact 7.. around 145 each the expensive but long wearing michelin xice snow suv are close to 200
and those blizzaks around 165.

17's are also an option.
245/65r17

I would probably get the a different tire vs the old model blizzaks.(been out for 5+ years)
the dmv2 are old model and their lateral traction is average for winter tire. I own a set myself. They are really good on ice but in some other conditions do not perform at a class leading level.. Other tires have caught and passed them.

The real steal is the conti vikingcontact 7.. around 145 each the expensive but long wearing michelin xice snow suv are close to 200
and those blizzaks around 165.
Thank for the advice on the Continentals, I'll look into them. What do you think about the Michelin X-Ice.....are those the best winter tires?

The smaller size won't help with the snow buildup inside the wheels. Still going to happen.
Yeah, last time the snow threw the wheels way off balance. Had to pull over and scoop the snow out. I think I'm going to apply some kind of hydrophobic coating to the inside of the wheel, maybe that will help.

Thank for the advice on the Continentals, I'll look into them. What do you think about the Michelin X-Ice.....are those the best winter tires?
They are a very good tire they are right up there in most categories and have a reputation for lasting longer.
If they were 145$ it would be a no-brainer.. but with the viking contact 7 being so good and considerably cheaper
as well as leading the michelins in certain categories.. that would be my top choice.
Both are excellent tires I would use either without a second thought if there is a supply issue etc.

X-Ice are one of the worst in actual winter conditions.
are you historically referring to the xice series or the actual xice snow referenced here?
Tirerack's review reads like an Ode to Michelin love letter but there is some truth there.

Would the xice snow be my top choice on a jeep in a mountain pass... no.
on a minivan with reasonably treated roads or an icy intersection they are reported to be quite good.

OTOH, I have personally driven the viking contact 7 and they have great wet and dry traction arent too annoying like some winter tires of old (winterforce comes to mind) and are simply amazing in bad conditions.. all for 30% less $$$

The new X-Ice Snow seems decent. Thank god, because the original X-Ice are worse than many all-seasons.
I had the xice xi2 on a hyundai accent.. they drove like an all season with really good winter grip.
Their best feature definitely was the fact that the dry and wet handling were that of a standard touring tire.
Oh and they also wore better than the michelin defenders I had on it for the other 3 seasons.
got 6 winters out of the xice xi2 and ~~23000 miles out of the defenders(numbers from memory).. before wearing to 3.5/32

I feel like Michelin definitely took it to the next level of winter tire when they upgraded to the xice snow. While keeping the long treadlife and performance/handling of a non-winter tire in dry/wet conditions.

Again I dont drive mountain passes in the winter and maybe not the top choice for that.

I am will be buying a set of winter wheels/tires and am contemplating downsizing to 18" from 20".
Should I expect a difference in handling or ride comfort?

For certain. I'd generally recommend less wheel and more sidewall to anyone who
doesn't need a bigger wheel and lower sidewall combo due to brake clearence and
/or handling. The latter is rarely a concern with winter tires since they aren't on a par
with summer tires on dry surfaces anyway. Personally I use to run 1" smaller on all my
cars I have winter wires for (GTI and Cooper), commonly the smallest wheel that clears
the brakes.

are you historically referring to the xice series or the actual xice snow referenced here?
Tirerack's review reads like an Ode to Michelin love letter but there is some truth there.

Would the xice snow be my top choice on a jeep in a mountain pass... no.
on a minivan with reasonably treated roads or an icy intersection they are reported to be quite good.

OTOH, I have personally driven the viking contact 7 and they have great wet and dry traction arent too annoying like some winter tires of old (winterforce comes to mind) and are simply amazing in bad conditions.. all for 30% less $$$
I wanted to try the new X-ice Snow for my daughters CRV BUT the sales at TR and DT made the Conti too good to pass up. Too good as in it covered 4 new TPMS sensors for winter wheels and install at local recommended TR place. That was with the Michelin on sale at Costco. I have the Viking Contact 7 on both my kids cars now. They work excellent. My son made it places in his Forte Forte that his friends Subaru on newer all seasons was stuck. He picked him up for class, pretty funny, friend was pissed. I have the older Winter Contact Si on the Pilot, also very good. '19 Pilot EX-L is 245-60-18.

You can also get Ridgeline rims. Check Ridgeline Owners Club, facebook market, craigslist. Aftermarket package is also an option. Piloteers might have some also.

Back