Double Check Repair/Service Work

Just a reminder for everyone to double check all repairs or services you have performed at the dealer, service facility, or mechanic.

I went to my Hyundai dealer today to have a recall done on my Sonata, and for them to inspect an oil pan leak this car has had since new. The technician requested I authorize an oil change so he can inspect for stripped threads. I gave the okay for them to do the oil change.

I get home tonight to inspect everything.
1) oil is overfilled
2) dealer didn’t change the oil filter. Left my old FRAM on there.

Boy I was livid mad. In all my years I’ve never gone to a dealer for an oil change out of fear they will mess something up. I only go to the service department for recalls and warranty work. This just reassures my mentality all these years 😂. FYI service manager said he would make it right for me.

Attachments

• 59392F28-1791-473E-B9E5-B68C7BCEFEC0.jpeg
    59392F28-1791-473E-B9E5-B68C7BCEFEC0.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 161
  • 82424687-E414-423B-BF81-3E5C9A35F1A5.jpeg
    82424687-E414-423B-BF81-3E5C9A35F1A5.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 161
  • A020FDB7-7C2A-45F8-B021-CA07D092819B.jpeg
    A020FDB7-7C2A-45F8-B021-CA07D092819B.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
I've seen and had enough. They never think that we customers never check things when they're done and that we're not car people. The only time we bring in our vehicles is not that we can't do the work, it's just that sometimes we'll pay someone if it is convenient and reasonable.

Last edited:
It's sad when you pay good money for service and have to check over the work that was done. But that's how it goes many times. A few years back I needed a water pump and my work schedule was hectic, so I had a local shop do the job. I left with him 2 gallons of concentrated coolant and a 2 gallons of distilled water and asked that he drain the radiator and use that to refill the cooling system. "No problem sir, if there's any remaining I'll give it back to you." He had way more than enough. He knew me from state inspections and a few jobs over the years. The next morning after driving it home I popped the hood to have a look. I was low 2 quarts of coolant, and I sampled what was in the radiator which prior to replacing the water pump was good to about -35F. What was in there was good to about 0F. That indicated two things to me, 1. He took my coolant and topped me off with water, and gave me nothing back. 2. He didn't properly bleed the cooling system and check his work. To add insult to injury he didn't install the serpentine belt the way I had it with the letters facing the radiator, so the belt squeaked. All routine work for a good mechanic!!! I called to politely inform him, he copped an attitude, and lost a customer/customers. I dread the day I can no longer do my own work. Hopefully once I move out of NY I can find a competent mechanic for when that day comes.

It's sad when you pay good money for service and have to check over the work that was done. But that's how it goes many times. A few years back I needed a water pump and my work schedule was hectic, so I had a local shop do the job. I left with him 2 gallons of concentrated coolant and a 2 gallons of distilled water and asked that he drain the radiator and use that to refill the cooling system. "No problem sir, if there's any remaining I'll give it back to you." He had way more than enough. He knew me from state inspections and a few jobs over the years. The next morning after driving it home I popped the hood to have a look. I was low 2 quarts of coolant, and I sampled what was in the radiator which prior to replacing the water pump was good to about -35F. What was in there was good to about 0F. That indicated two things to me, 1. He took my coolant and topped me off with water, and gave me nothing back. 2. He didn't properly bleed the cooling system and check his work. To add insult to injury he didn't install the serpentine belt the way I had it with the letters facing the radiator, so the belt squeaked. All routine work for a good mechanic!!! I called to politely inform him, he copped an attitude, and lost a customer/customers. I dread the day I can no longer do my own work. Hopefully once I move out of NY I can find a competent mechanic for when that day comes.
Sure I gave you thumbs up but had to comment.. I can't agree with you more, you think you might know someone like you thought you knew this mechanic.. Then BAM! They change in a heartbeat into this person copping an attitude, it's very odd.. But I've seen it too, and yes I'm out of that shop quicker than my shadow!

One thing I have found to be true.. The technicians/mechanics who give you attitude for your to-do list of how you want things done are the ones who are not that competent.. They true skilled technicians are confident in their skills and would welcome a fellow car guy (and even car girl) input on something without dismissing them as they know nothing. The good ones I've found will talk about my "to-do" list.. and offer suggestions based on their experience.. But it's rare out there!!

I’m not gonna jump on all dealers do bad work, but I had similar experience when I had my clutch flushed at Hyundai dealer very recently. The brake fluid was literally to the brim.. I had to suction some of it out to take it to the max line, it was an easy fix and no damage but it still probably upset me more than It should’ve.

Sure I gave you thumbs up but had to comment.. I can't agree with you more, you think you might know someone like you thought you knew this mechanic.. Then BAM! They change in a heartbeat into this person copping an attitude, it's very odd.. But I've seen it too, and yes I'm out of that shop quicker than my shadow!

One thing I have found to be true.. The technicians/mechanics who give you attitude for your to-do list of how you want things done are the ones who are not that competent.. They true skilled technicians are confident in their skills and would welcome a fellow car guy (and even car girl) input on something without dismissing them as they know nothing. The good ones I've found will talk about my "to-do" list.. and offer suggestions based on their experience.. But it's rare out there!!
I work with my hands in my own business. I know what dealing with the public is like, and I know what a PITA customer is too. I don't want to be that PITA customer! I try and make it easy for people working with their hands, I tell them if they run into a problem to let me know. No one is going to get screwed out of money working for me, and I'm not going to get screwed either. If something unforeseeable arises they'll get paid. All I ask is do the job right, I know things can happen.

I had another incident with another mechanic with a signal light switch where the steering wheel had to be pulled to access it. Tilt wheel got F'd up and the steering wheel wasn't installed properly. "OK Frank bring it back and well have a look." A half a day later I get a call, "your van is ready." Great! Tilt wheel is still not working and the steering wheel is still not straight. I said "Tony did you look at the van?" "Yea Frank, you know it's old and there are worn parts in the column." "The signal lights work." I took it home pulled the wheel found a broken piece of plastic in there, took it out and put the wheel on straight. Guess what? The tilt wheel works now, and the wheel is on straight. Tony lost a customer/customer's. I can go on and on. LOL

And if you had said no, wouldn't they still have changed the oil at no charge? What was the result?
If I said no, the technician wouldn’t have been able to inspect for stripped threads due user error.

Result so far is, the drain plug still leaks. The technician noted that the crush washer wasn’t properly seated to the pan (he must be a real captain obvious). The service advisor also noted on the service write up that there are no cracks or defects in the pan. It’s leaked since day 1, I’m assuming the drain plug hole opening has some sort of irregular deformity that prevents the crush washer from making a perfect seal at the surface.

make sure leak is not frm higher up (I assume it is so slo U do not need top offs between changes) & dripping down to that area - to appear off the bolt.
B persistant. Take notes (of what U asked) save the paper wrk and think abt a contact to AG's office (Consumer Affairs Dept). If no fix - ask for a new pan & new bolt. The heck w/if they do the filter, you can do that. In my shop I'd even B puttin the oli back, not really chargin anything. U don't really need to drop most pans to see ifa op bolt hasa head twisted/broken off, threaded prt still in block. Justa lift'n flash light~

Not that I'm a big fan of Jiffy Lube but I took the wife's car there for an oil change.
They pulled it out and brought me over and showed me that the dip stick showed full.
They didn't know that I watched the guy pour the new oil in.
But at least they installed the drain bolt back in.
So far so good the oil is still full as it should be on a car with 17.5K miles on it.

Just got back home from the dealership. The oil pan was replaced under warranty due to a weld crack. A quick internet search shows this to be a growing problem, all leaking from the same exact spot.

If you have a Hyundai Theta II, this is something to watch out for. Seems to only affect the second generation Theta II’s, which started appearing in some models in 2015.

Attachments

• 48D38AEE-C792-4F6C-B923-9B350C4BFFE5.jpeg
    48D38AEE-C792-4F6C-B923-9B350C4BFFE5.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 22
The informed consumer is the best customer.

Unfortunately that means verifying what one gets I guess.

I’d think that the premiums that a dealer asks for would absolve one of that need. But I guess not.

So did they refund your oil change cost?
No, although they would have if I had asked. When I discovered the issues after the first visit, I went straight to the top and started directly communicating with the service director. I have to tell you, he was fantastic. He 100% laid out the red carpet treatment for me, offering to valet service my vehicle and leave me a new loaner. I declined because I never like being responsible for someone else’s vehicle like that. Plus I have other vehicles. They also paid for all of my Uber and Lyft rides.

He was excellent, never at any time did he question my complaint or anything. I told him what I wanted him to do, and he did it. He assured me he would get it taken care of and he did. He emailed me updates several times a day about my vehicle status.

I didn’t ask for a refund because of the nature of my warranty repair. A leak near the drain plug, they needed to pull the plug to inspect for abuse (stripped threads) and I was due for an oil change anyway. In good conscience I couldn’t ask them to refund me since I truly did need an oil change. I wasn’t looking to benefit from them, I just wanted them to give me what I paid for (oil change) and what I was entitled to (warranty repair).

The service director’s attitude and willingness to take care of me has made me almost forget about the initial visit. My only advice to anyone with a poor service visit, is to politely but firmly speak with the service manager or service director. I was never mad at him or anyone and I wasn’t rude, I was just upset with the situation and I made sure to be respectful to everyone involved.

Last edited:
id bet they just changed the filter the second time. Leaving the new oil contaminated with the old from not changing the filter.

Back