Dorm life really worth the extra cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: WhyMe
..when i went to college i lived at home..

I loved my parents but moving out from under their roof was liberating and a rite of passage.
UW is a fine university...why not let him fully engage in its experiences?

Our son lived in the dorms as a freshman then found an apartment as a sophomore.
Although he joined a fraternity, studying for concurrent Computer Science and Mandarin majors proved more effective in a 'quiet' apartment.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Since you raise the question of cost..

What is the cost of Dorm with no car? vs. Live at home with car plus travel expenses?

I have done both with my 2 degrees.. dorm with no car and lived at home with car.

My vote would be Dorm with no car.. and work a job to pay for car.. best of all worlds.

Yup

One suggestion is for your son to become a Resident Assistant working in the dorm.

My daughter is a senior and has been an R/A in her dorm for the past 3 years. She receives a free meal plan and free room in exchange for her services.

She has really enjoyed the extra responsibilities and it will look great on her resume. But she is also a hard worker in general, and it may not be a good fit for some people.

Living at home and commuting is likely to seriously degrade the overall value of the experience. There are usually no 'do-overs' for life either.

Been there, done that, wish I hadn't.

I say have him get a part time job to pay for the dorm costs. Once you turn 18 you're a legal adult. Working is what will show him what real life is all about,not partying and being unemployed. The real world and responsibilities are harder than the hardest college class will ever be. That's what will prepare him for the real world. Your boss will be MUCH harder on you than your professor.

how much in time does the commute add each day to and from.
I 'd get him to try the dorm for a year. then maybe off campus apartment tho when in a dorm he needs a place to study, and his room will not cut it

Let him live in the dorms as a freshman and then reconsider after the immersion. You'll also see how many weekends he comes running home.

No offense to my own parents but things got a lot better for me once I got away from what turned out to be mostly bad advice. I've got kids of my own and I hope they become better people than me through whatever reasonable means are necessary.

If your son bombs the first semester/ year you can reel him back in and give a speech about money being tight and he needs to live at home and work weekends to keep paying for school.

Experience is incredible.

Also my first job at start up that launched me into Software career were dorm mates. You definitely miss a ton and bonds not in dorms.

I think for first two years important but last two living at home not as impactive to ones college experience. I got my first two girlfriends junior and senior year and stayed in their beds.

I think for 1st year its well worth the cost. The costs of a car and commuting would pay for a lot of it anyways.
After 1st year most people find some housemates and rent a house or apartment together which is also a good experience.

If you have the money, do it! I regret not living on campus. There are days where I feel like I do not even know anyone in my class. There are so many opportunities and people that he would otherwise miss out on. Also, it will give him the ability to work with other people 24/7 on classwork.

Most students stay at the dorm until they meet others to rent something better.Then sex, drugs and rock and roll party time.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
It's worth it for the experience. Once in a lifetime.

This is definitely true!

Can you make a partial payment? Tell him he needs to at least "Help out"

Originally Posted By: pbm
They both moved into off campus ....after growing tired of the noise, vomit etc....plus they had more room for less cost and weren't required to have the 'meal plan'....

All valid concerns...

I HATED HATED HATED being forced to pay for the meal plan...
I worked two jobs in college and I was NEVER around to "take advantage" of any meals.

I am an assistant professor at a 13000 student state comprehensive university, did my phd at a 33000 student flagship university whete I also was full-time faculty for three years, and did my undergrad and masters at a 10000 student state comprehensive. The point is I have spent a lot of time on campuses as a student and faculty.

I highly recommend he live on campus the first year, as long as he avoids the temptation to go home all the time with living so close. He needs to stay on weekends, but make good decisions about partying, girls, etc. Not having a car there will help. He will make friends and staet to learn about being an adult.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
Originally Posted By: 02SE
It's easier to party and do stupid things, if living in a dorm.

and this is one of the worries
mad.gif

Its also part of the fun. Id offer to pay half if the grades remain good
smile.gif

I was a later college student (24 years old when I started) so I never lived in the dorms but did live in apartments near campus. However I dated a true (18 year old) freshman gal who did and it didn't take long for her to spend most of her nights at my apartment a few blocks away due to the noise, vomit and [censored] in the stairways, multiple fire alarms in the middle of the night, etc. She lived in apartments the rest of her time in college after that.

Of course it was a long time ago, but I loved living in the dorm vs off campus apt. Tried off campus for a bit and got back into the dorm ASAP.

Good food (compared to my cooking-which NEVER happened) is there, opportunities to make friends and hang are also there.

Don't kid yourself-kids are lonely and scared in college. Being surrounded by your peers has advantages in that most are in the same boat emotionally.

Experiences with the three kids we raised also backs this up.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back