Door hinge

Wasn’t sure where to post this.

Anyway, I’ve got a door hinge or 3 that will squeal after 3 weeks or so after lubing. I’ve used, dry lube spray, wd40, silicone spray and 3 in 1. What do I need to do to get these dang door hinges to stop squeaking longer than a few weeks.

Ps, this is a relatively newish door, frame and all completely replaced 2 years ago, run the a/c 90% of its life.

I’d try anti seize if you’ve done all the above. Are the hinges in a bind? I usually get away with a squirt of wd40 lasting a long time, like couple years long…

Just my $0.02

Had this happen....my cure was to pull the door off it's hinges by pulling out the pins. Use a narrow flat file and file the surfaces of the hinge pivot points. Then lubricate with some graphite powder. Newer hinges dont have the fine surface machining of those of yesteryear They start really squeaking when all of the clearcoat finish starts wearing off. Good Luck.

I’d try anti seize if you’ve done all the above. Are the hinges in a bind? I usually get away with a squirt of wd40 lasting a long time, like couple years long…

Just my $0.02
I’m not sure about them binding. I will give the anti seize a try.

Had this happen....my cure was to pull the door off it's hinges by pulling out the pins. Use a narrow flat file and file the surfaces of the hinge pivot points. Then lubricate with some graphite powder. Newer hinges dont have the fine surface machining of those of yesteryear They start really squeaking when all of the clearcoat finish starts wearing off. Good Luck.
Which part of the hinge, the inside corners of the loops that the pin slides into? I’m not savvy to the correct wording.

If you go thru the effort of pulling of the hinge to do anything, I would just replace it with a new hinge.

I had one I tried this that and everything pulled out my road bike chain lube and tried it it’s been years and never sqeeked again.
1AF44A2F-E244-43AA-94A3-9F14C737E7B8.jpeg

Just my $0.02
Yes make sure and check this. When we first moved in to our house the door going to the basement started making noise so I hit it with some 3 in one which worked but only for a few weeks. I eventually pulled the pins to remove the door so I could move something into the basement. While I had them off I cleaned the pins and the hinge really good. When I put the door back the top pin went in really easy but the bottom one I couldn't get all the way in. After closer inspection I noticed it was bent on the bottom and not lining up, 2x4 and a BFH fixed it. Never had to oil it again.

The hinges on my walk-through garage door, which the laundry room shares, would start squeaking every few weeks after sprayed, so I finally pulled the hinge pins out and poured the hinges full of Redline MTL, cleaned the pins, and put them back. Beautiful silence for quite a while now

Wasn’t sure where to post this.

Anyway, I’ve got a door hinge or 3 that will squeal after 3 weeks or so after lubing. I’ve used, dry lube spray, wd40, silicone spray and 3 in 1. What do I need to do to get these dang door hinges to stop squeaking longer than a few weeks.

Ps, this is a relatively newish door, frame and all completely replaced 2 years ago, run the a/c 90% of its life
Fluid Film has worked well for me. It seems to creep in and stay there...........

Motor or transmition oil is what I use in locks and hinges that were never or too long ago been lubed with exceptional results every time. Oil lubricates penetrates and even seems to clean metal surfaces. I saw the same results even with used motor oil.
I also lube my motorcycle and bicycle chains with used motor oil with excellent results.

Before you do anything to the hinges, check all of the screws, make sure they are tight. It's common for the screws at the top of the jamb to come lose over time. Then, assuming it is a three hinge door, pull one pin at a time, swing the door, see if it squeaks, and see if there is any resistance due to misalignment when you try to reinstall the pin.

Bent hinges are fairly common. You don't need to beat it into place, that will not help the longevity of the assembly. If you try to put the pin back in and there is resistance look to see which hinge barrel is misaligned. A small adjustable wrench closed over that hinge barrel will give you enough leverage to gently pull it back into line. If the pin slips into place you got it right.

Almost any good lubricant should work on door hinge pins and if everything is installed properly they should not squeak for a long time.

Back