Dont overlook your sparkplugs! (Like me!)

Well, i did all the other maintenance, but over looked the plugs. Car ran well, (I thought LOL) But what a difference new DENSO TT IRIDIUM 4701 IK16TT
plugs made in my 09 Elantra with the 2.0L. Miles are at 114K... I think these are original NGK plugs? Can any one confirm? It looks like the gap was huge, the top of plug was worn away, plus all the "rust" on the threads? They did come out of engine fine, and new ones screwed in by hand. (then tightened with TQ wrench)

Much better throttle response
Better gas mileage
Smoother idle
Pulls harder under acceleration

PSA: Change out your plugs! Esp if its been a decade and 100K miles

That's all. :-D

For the 07-10 Elantra with the 2.0L i know you would need the DENSO 4701 IK16TT Plugs, They are $9 a piece from the parts store, or cheaper online. Huge improvement.

Attachments

• IMG_1674.jpeg
    IMG_1674.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 338
Good thing you replaced them. They look like they definitely needed it. That looks pretty similar to the ones in our Camry that went to 209,000. They were Denso Irdiums. We replaced with NGK still going strong 70,000 miles later.

Those appear worn more than usual for an Ir plug at that mileage. If they had blue script and, often, a paint dot on the terminals, they are factory.

16 hr is a bit hot, I would have gone with a 20 on a Nippon Denso. But if that is Denso rec - then go with it.

-Ken

What’s the book call for? My Tacoma is every 30K and recommends copper Denso or NGK. Although I can go longer I replace them anyway.

next up coils start dying from those old plugs killing them? :unsure:

FWIW I know alot of people with hyundai engine problems.. and burning oil.. but
for the 4 hyundai's we have had.. usually the engine was the least of the problems.

although the 2020 elantra has an engine recall for overly hardened piston rings, and the transmission (1st year) has a couple recalls too.

Trying to convince the wife to trade it in for a Maverick in 2 years. so I can go fun car.

We just need 1 vehicle that can tow 2k pounds and a truck bed for occassional hauling would be nice.. dont have to break out the trailer for 5 dirty bags of mulch etc.

I have the same car with a manual transmission, bought it new and it now has 48k miles. I have not done anything but change the oil, filters and brake fluid. Car looks and drives great; still have original tires, though they only have about 25k due to also having a set of winter wheels. Now I am wondering if I should look into the plugs.

The only concern I have is the top end sounds like at a few washers being rattled in an empty tin can when I start the motor. Page 78 of the maintenance manual mentions inspecting the valve clearance at 60k miles. I believe it is something I can do myself but requires a special tool. Has anyone done this?

Last edited:
The DENSO TT IRIDIUM 4701 IK16TT are what I have in my 2008 Accent. Just took them out and cleaned and repgapped them. 45k miles on them. If I were to go one range colder on my Gen Coupe 2L T these would be the plugs. Probably what I'll do next time. I just had the Gen Coupe ones out and cleaned and regapped, down from .032 to .028. They are Denso TT OE plugs Picked up 2 mpg.

Made too many mistakes to list them but my daughter, now 50 btw, back about 25 years reported that she thought the transmission was bad in her Probe, Dad had forgotten her plugs, no pics but they were soooooo bad I can't believe they even fired. The Probe missed really badly

The DENSO TT IRIDIUM 4701 IK16TT are what I have in my 2008 Accent. Just took them out and cleaned and repgapped them. 45k miles on them. If I were to go one range colder on my Gen Coupe 2L T these would be the plugs. Probably what I'll do next time. I just had the Gen Coupe ones out and cleaned and regapped, down from .032 to .028. They are Denso TT OE plugs Picked up 2 mpg.
Good to see they are Iridium, at AAP we carried DENSO TT titanium ??? and they were junk. It was easy to get stuff called back to warehouse don't sell it and they will call it back

Normal for engines that live in colder climates with longer warm up times, short trip vehicles can be much worse and very difficult to remove despite the plating.
Plug threads rust from the combustion chamber side not the external side. A good case for a little never seize.
Trav, did you see that 1 and 3 had bare metal on the ground electrode.

Normal for engines that live in colder climates with longer warm up times, short trip vehicles can be much worse and very difficult to remove despite the plating.
Plug threads rust from the combustion chamber side not the external side. A good case for a little never seize.
I'll sure take your word that it's common, since you've changed many more plugs than I have. I just haven't seen that much rust before on plugs that came out of a running engine, and I do live in a cold climate (eastern SD).

Back