Dealer Did Fantastic Job Maintain my Vehicle

5 Years ago I did my first maintenance at dealer after I purchase my Hyundai Sonata. 60k is a major maintenance window and I didn't want other shops to mess it up. Back then I know little about car so I just go with what the service manual says.
Half an hour later the service writer came in and recommend me to change PCV valve and my plugs. I agreed. He then asked what kind of plug I want. To save some money I select Platinum plugs. Jobs done and I drove home.
IMG_5058.JPG

Today I think it's time to change these plugs to a better Iridium ones. I pull the coil off and put socket in. They are loose, very easy to get them off. Then the dealer's surprise come out:
IMG_5057.JPG

Shocked, I tell ya! They upgrade my plugs to Iridium without telling & not charging me extra money!
And it's the same type as factory plug!

After just 34k miles these insulators are burnt like this, my factory plugs must give me all kind of misfire and engine codes! Thank you so much my
dear service writer and the dealership!!

*** NGK plugs are good. after 94k miles they still give consistent performance. I swap to Denso Iridium Power today. ***

Yep, the dealer likely ripped you on the first change. Weren't iridium plugs standard equipment when the car was new? And if they were not, platinums are supposed to last longer than 60,000.
Yes, NGK Iridium is factory plug, that's why I'm shocked and start cursing in garage- I was expecting a Yura Platium. Only good thing is NGK holding it's ground and prove it can do a 100k change intervel.
BITOGers on some posts mention changing plugs will improve driving experience, I couldn't resist the temptation. Plus I'm also working on first time throttle plate cleaning and PCV vlave change, so I decide to get everything done togther and worry less in future.

Lesson learned, and one more reason to do your own maintenance.

If you need another. I just helped my neighbor do a front pad change on his 100,000 mile Mercedes. Dealer quoted him @$500.00.
Parts were $110.00 right from the dealer (same at AZ).
Finished in about 1.5 hr.

Only good thing is NGK holding it's ground and prove it can do a 100k change intervel.
On my Toyota vehicle, the manufacturer recommends replacing Iridium Denso spark plugs every 12 years or 120,000 miles. I currently have 10 years and 117,000 miles. I recently checked the stored trouble codes. There have been no misfires detected by the ECU so far. I have not noticed any misfires either.

Replace spark plugs as recommended in your owners manual in terms of elapsed time or mileage. Refer to your owners manual when a service writer recommends service to verify if their recommendation is needed in terms of elapsed time or interval. Install spark plugs recommended by the vehicle manufacturer; do not substitute. If you use this forum for maintenance recommendations, at least be aware of when the manufacturer recommends service and understand why you may choose to perform a specific task more frequently. I perform oil changes and automatic transmission fluid changes according to the severe service schedule as defined in my owners manual.

Do not rely on the service writer to know when to have manufacturer recommended maintenance performed. My dealer overlooked one item, which was greasing the propeller shafts on a 4x4 vehicle. I strongly recommend reading the maintenance section of your owners manual to know when specific tasks should be performed.

My owners manual does not specify a change interval for brake fluid and power steering fluid. The dealer may recommend changing it because "it is dark". It is my responsibility to determine when it should be changed and either do it myself or have the work performed. I have changed power steering fluid at 60,000 miles and found that it still "looks dark" when I visually examine fluid level. Decide on a change interval and stick with it.

It's possible that one may carefully follow the manufacturer recommendations and still need a major engine repair either in or out of warranty. For example, there are some engines where the piston oil rings fail to control oil consumption given 10,000 mile oil change intervals. The dealer or manufacturer may recommend reducing the change interval to 5000 miles.

Last edited:
I wouldn't let them get away with that. Either you got a set of defective iridium plugs that didn't last 34,000 km (as if) or they weren't changed but charged you anyway.

I'd take those plugs back to the dealer, and ask to see the manager. "It looks like your mechanic took them out, realized they were still perfect and just put them back, but forgot to tell the service writer. That's the best spin I can put on it." And then ask for a refund of $266.

I forgot to mention this in my post above: If your dealer says it's time to change brake fluid because it's "dark", ask if they measured the moisture content. They probably didn't. The maximum recommended moisture content is 3%. As a minimum, I change brake fluid when the brake pads are changed. I would change it more often if I lived in a humid climate. YouTube shows how to use a multimeter to measure excessive moisture content.

Last edited:
Another example of why I don’t let anyone touch my vehicles for things that I can do myself. It’s unfortunate that there’s people that can’t do these things for whatever reasons and they just have to hope things were done right or even done at all. 🙄
Another good example, this was yesterday. I had some Continental Pure contacts put on my Wife’s car. This is the left rear. A331065B-892E-4DC4-9601-187D53A8D128.jpegThis is something I can’t do at home unfortunately. I now have to take it back Monday.
At least my situation was a lot easier to find than yours. Nobody goes and pulls plugs to see if they were really changed immediately after the fact, they shouldn’t have to. 😠
Sorry about throwing my little problem in on your thread, things like this get me worked up.

Yes, NGK Iridium is factory plug, that's why I'm shocked and start cursing in garage- I was expecting a Yura Platium. Only good thing is NGK holding it's ground and prove it can do a 100k change intervel.
BITOGers on some posts mention changing plugs will improve driving experience, I couldn't resist the temptation.
on my old Neon, that used Cheap Copper plugs, and the recommended interval is only 30k mi, replacing the factory plugs @ 60k mi was really noticeable. it's didn't run poorly before, but it was definitely better after.

changing the Iriduims in my Sable at the specified 90k mi interval...they still looked fine, and there was no discernible difference afterwards...
and I pitty whoever changes the plugs on that car next...( I traded it in about 2 yrs/15k mi later) I definitely cross threaded the living heck out of one of the rear plugs... threads about as long as on the OP's picture, and i was cutting new threads ALL the way down. yay for steel plugs in aluminum engines!

on my old Neon, that used Cheap Copper plugs, and the recommended interval is only 30k mi, replacing the factory plugs @ 60k mi was really noticeable. it's didn't run poorly before, but it was definitely better after.

changing the Iriduims in my Sable at the specified 90k mi interval...they still looked fine, and there was no discernible difference afterwards...
and I pitty whoever changes the plugs on that car next...( I traded it in about 2 yrs/15k mi later) I definitely cross threaded the living heck out of one of the rear plugs... threads about as long as on the OP's picture, and i was cutting new threads ALL the way down. yay for steel plugs in aluminum engines!
Seems like someone needs to do a big drill job... I heard some stories about cross thread and one of them end up total the engine.

Thank you so much my
This isn't a defense of the service writer, but he/she isn't the one that worked on your car. Changing Iridium plugs at 60k miles is probably silly and neither NGK nor Denso call for that.

I wouldn't let them get away with that. Either you got a set of defective iridium plugs that didn't last 34,000 km (as if) or they weren't changed but charged you anyway.

I'd take those plugs back to the dealer, and ask to see the manager. "It looks like your mechanic took them out, realized they were still perfect and just put them back, but forgot to tell the service writer. That's the best spin I can put on it." And then ask for a refund of $266.
Problem is, the OP has no proof. Showing them those plugs isn't even proof... I'd put money on it that the dealership will stand their ground and insist that the plugs were changed, especially considering this service took place 5 years ago.

This isn't a defense of the service writer, but he/she isn't the one that worked on your car. Changing Iridium plugs at 60k miles is probably silly and neither NGK nor Denso call for that.
Yeah that's true. I wish I know more 5 years ago. Expensive way to get taught a lesson.

Problem is, the OP has no proof. Showing them those plugs isn't even proof... I'd put money on it that the dealership will stand their ground and insist that the plugs were changed, especially considering this service took place 5 years ago.
True, and they are still scamming people. I went in for good ole engine and emission recall, half an hour later they told me my coolant and PCV valve is overdue, require immediate part replacement & flush. LoL! I just did the job 3 months ago, coolant is clean!

Ironically a "best customer service in this region" flag is hanging in the showroom, I guess they get that by tell every customer gives them five stars on survey and call customer back immediately if they don't.

True enough but they'll know you know.

Maybe it really was an honest error, and they'll refund your money. Or maybe they'll just say it was an honest error, and refund your money.

It wouldn't surprise me if they offered you a credit instead. You could buy a lot of oil, wiper blades and filters for $266. No matter what they do, they've been called on it.

Seems like someone needs to do a big drill job... I heard some stories about cross thread and one of them end up total the engine.
ehhh...
1) that car/engine is no longer my problem ( which i know is a pretty ****ty attitude to have, and I'll have no one to blame but myself when a used car I buy has something wrong with it on a similar scale....)
2) easily fixed with a replacement junkyard head. or.. drilling out the threads and running in a helicoil, or some such, which any machine shop can easily do.

5 Years ago I did my first maintenance at dealer after I purchase my Hyundai Sonata. 60k is a major maintenance window and I didn't want other shops to mess it up. Back then I know little about car so I just go with what the service manual says.
Half an hour later the service writer came in and recommend me to change PCV valve and my plugs. I agreed. He then asked what kind of plug I want. To save some money I select Platinum plugs. Jobs done and I drove home.
View attachment 73929
Today I think it's time to change these plugs to a better Iridium ones. I pull the coil off and put socket in. They are loose, very easy to get them off. Then the dealer's surprise come out:
View attachment 73928
Shocked, I tell ya! They upgrade my plugs to Iridium without telling & not charging me extra money!
And it's the same type as factory plug!

After just 34k miles these insulators are burnt like this, my factory plugs must give me all kind of misfire and engine codes! Thank you so much my

*** NGK plugs are good. after 94k miles they still give consistent performance. I swap to Denso Iridium Power today. ***
Yep sure looks like they didn't change them at all and charged you anyway.

Back