Donaldson Vs Fleetguard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to Widman and the others, i have been able to track down the Donaldson filters as i dont trust too many of our filters down here, well at least not scrutinized as much as the U.S filters. Now one place has Donaldsons and the other has Fleetguard at 50cents less. I dont care about the cost, but which is better ? I seen both claim over one another. I will go Donaldson but i was curious.

Which filter ?

Be aware that a lot of the Donaldson's sold here are from a joint venture plant in Indonesia and I haven't been overly impressed with the build quality in the past.

I use either the P169071 Donaldson (made in the US) or the equivalent Fleetguard interchangeably, depending on availability.
This is a synthetic media equivalent of our Ryco Z9/Oz Motorcraft AFL-1.

If they both have the synthetic media you really can't go wrong with either,just pick one and go,i have synthetic Fleetguards in stash i get for $8.

Originally Posted By: daman
If they both have the synthetic media you really can't go wrong with either,just pick one and go,i have synthetic Fleetguards in stash i get for $8.

That price isn't relevant on this side of the planet, unfortunately.
I pay close to A$30 for a syn media filter at trade price.....

Re the Indonesian Donaldson's, it says so on the box.
"Made in Indonesia by Donaldson"
I have one here ATM to fit to a Falcon, I use the US made synthetic media filters on our diesels.

Wow crazy money,go with the cheaper if needed,both top quality filters that can go 10,000 miles easly...

P550047 will possibly be a US/Mexico made one as it's a GM application.

Any European or Asian engine tends to be the ones that get the Indonesian made filters here IME, although the P550008 (Ford Oz/US) I have here is Indonesian made too.....

Donaldson has 38 plants around the world. The ones I got today came from 10 different countries. I've only visited the Mexican plant, and it is nice. I've cut up lost of them, including some real nice ones from Indonesia.

Where they are made for your country depends on where your car was made, how popular that filter model is, and a lot of other factors. Since we have a lot of vehicles here that are not sold in the US (made in Japan and other parts of Asia), many of those filters come from there. We have a lot of European cars and trucks, so I end up with a lot of UK, Germany, Italy and Sweden.

Some filters are probably made in a dozen countries or more. Sometimes I even get mixed supplies.

When choosing between the two, I think Donaldson is the best. That is why I sell them. But at least you are out of the swamp that contains so many other brands.

Hehe i know, thankfully i now have 2 filters to only choose from. Ok, as i have a GM Ecotec v6 3.8 i can assume its from somewhere else. I have been quoted $10 and $10.45 plus gst for both Fleet/Donaldson.

Widman, i just realised you are the Corvair oil guy !!! Excellent read. Read it many times and others have too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vxcalais
Thanks to Widman and the others, i have been able to track down the Donaldson filters as i dont trust too many of our filters down here, well at least not scrutinized as much as the U.S filters. Now one place has Donaldsons and the other has Fleetguard at 50cents less. I dont care about the cost, but which is better ? I seen both claim over one another. I will go Donaldson but i was curious.

Fleetgaurd all the way. Probably on eo fht ebest filters out there. If not its the best for the price. I know i've seen them go 30000 miles.

Originally Posted By: vxcalais

I have been quoted $10 and $10.45 plus gst for both Fleet/Donaldson.

Buy either and be happy.
wink.gif

The Indonesian filters I cut open were from about five years ago, pleat spacing was all over the place, glue everywhere, ADBV's wouldn't hold, etc.
These were very similar to Sakura filters as they come out of the same plant. Sakura is a brand name of the company (who I can't recall ATM) that is/was in partnership with Donaldson in Indonesia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back