Does rental car tracking concern you??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ddrumman2004
Thou worries too much about such. We are being watched and tracked even when we aren't renting a vehicle.

Nothing to hide? Nothing to worry about.

Should your home be searched by the police under that criteria?

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Thou worries too much about such. We are being watched and tracked even when we aren't renting a vehicle.

Amen Brother!

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Just wait until speed enforcement makes its way to EZ Pass.

Yup, I think about that often. I have them installed in three cars including my sons and while reviewing my online history I calculated his average speed based on time and distance between exits. He was well under but I suspect only because of volume

I bet you it would provide additional revenue for the restaurants in the rest areas ( pull over and grab a Coffee to add to your time)

Does the OP have a smart phone? If so, he's being tracked, and probably giving out valuable info every time he uses an app.

Are you really comparing something a business has a right to do, vs legal searches? That's a pretty big stretch.

I don't have a problem with it. You are borrowing their property that is worth a decent amount of money. I could easily see them wanting to know where their car is if you excessively outstay the rental period.

I have no real problem with it. I'm sure they're more worried about people driving the snot out of it or stealing it, rather than going 2 mph over the limit. I guarantee you there's a financial reason they spent the money on GPS tracking - the insurance company probably gives them reduced rates or a waived deductible under certain circumstances. However, if they are being idiotic and charging extra for 2 mph over the limit, I would have a serious issue with that.

I'm sure there are plenty of companies that don't have GPS tracking on their rentals. After all, the big names aren't the only companies that rent out vehicles.

The rental car is the company's property and they can track it if they wish. That said, the OP is free to take his money elsewhere if he does not want to be tracked. What is important is that the rental company allows the customer to make an informed decision by making that information available.

It's probably there in case it gets abandoned or someone tries to run for the border and steal it. Think of it more as Lo-Jack. I doubt they care if you do 100mph in their cars.

I've rented some pretty fast cars from Hertz and let me assure you I did not drive them in a slow and boring fashion, if you catch my drift. And they did not fine me, call me, or revoke my membership.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Some finance companies install gps trackers in case you fall behind on payments. Makes it a lot easier to locate the car for a repo.

What? Never heard of that...

Though anything with Onstar can be tracked...

Yep. If you make it from point A to point B too quickly.... you've been speeding...

Like I said....if you have nothing to hide, why worry. And where I live, I don't have to worry about the local sheriff coming and searching my home. Maybe in a big city but not here.

With cameras everywhere and smart phones, we are being watched.

Doubt it will ever happen. If they tried it, I'd imagine people would abandon it in droves. I know I would.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Yep. If you make it from point A to point B too quickly.... you've been speeding...

That myth has been around pretty much since the transponders were invented. Nothing has ever come of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back