Does RAM just die?

Late to the party here, but there's no way more than one stick of RAM packed it in without a major power surge. Since you've already tried the GPU, that leaves the PSU and the board (and CPU I supposed, but those are extremely rare to fail).

My money is on the board or PSU.

My main desktop kicked the bucket last night. Woke up to a stone cold PC. Will not even boot to BIOS - although the power supply is working, MB and everything has power. I see the Z170 has some easy trouble shoot idiot lights, DRAM light is glowing red when I press the magic button.

DDR4 3200 4x8GB sticks

PC is ~ 6-7 years old, hate to throw $80 at it, but worth it if it works.

Need some help/input. SSD and HD have data! (I hope)

CPU to RAM dead?????
Any part can fail.

I've replaced RAM, disks, CPUs, even ribbon cables on high end servers that got nicked and hold the system down because they are grounded out.

As others have mentioned, get it down to the bare configuration. One DIMM in the first spot that is to be populated. If it still fails, try a different DIMM. If you have a known good DIMM of the same type and speed, try it out to see if it's really an issue with thoat

Define reseating. Like fully unplug? No
Remove the CPU cooler, clean the thermal paste, remove pull up the lever and remove the cpu from the socket, inspect the socket and LGA contacts for debris or damage, if there doesn't appear to be any damage gently place the CPU back in the socket and latch it back down and apply new thermal paste.

Are you going to do anything with the old CPU, I have a working Skylake DDR3 system lying around that I could see if it still works in if you wanted to send it my way.

Are you going to do anything with the old CPU, I have a working Skylake DDR3 system lying around that I could see if it still works in if you wanted to send it my way.
I'm kinda busy, won't be around tomorrow. All the new stuff should arrive Friday I hope. Let me get over this hurdle, get it working and maybe I will think about sending it.

But at this point don't really care if it works or not!

I probably have a few 6th gen boards in the e-waste bin at work if you're interested, just cover shipping.

Have all on order some things should arrive tomorrow, some today.

I may have some questions about where to plug in the small two pin connectors from the front panel, depending on how the new MB is labelled.

I used to dispatch PC parts, memory very very rarely would ever fail, same with CPUs.
What mostly died, and still does are power supplies, hard drives, fans and then motherboards in that order.
Motherboards in particular had leaking capacitors around 2004-2006 era, what a fiasco that was.

I used to dispatch PC parts, memory very very rarely would ever fail, same with CPUs.
What mostly died, and still does are power supplies, hard drives, fans and then motherboards in that order.
Motherboards in particular had leaking capacitors around 2004-2006 era, what a fiasco that was.
Video cards had a similar issue, a bit later on. I had a decent collection of early PCI-E video cards with failed, leaking, caps.

Back